XL to Lariat Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet looking Lariat...reminds me of my brother's '04 2WD SuperCrew. Good luck getting that beast risen from its grave--it'll be a point of pride, once you do. Consider me subscribed to this...

Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Any updates? Did you get the Lariat re-powered, or do something different?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSGSTX81
Any updates? Did you get the Lariat re-powered, or do something different?
I've been totally swamped this season with the warm winter we had, and the phone is ringing off the hook for landscaping. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I have not done anything to fix it...

But I am still planning on re-powering it this summer when the lawns slow down.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Have fun with the landscaping...my Dad and I did that from the late 80s until the early 2000s. Started with a straight cab V6 Ranger, and ended with an extended cab Ram with the 318. Hauled a 16-footer with a Yazoo riding mower, three weedeaters, a push mower, an edger, and blower. We had to stop because he had a heat, then heart, scare. I miss that job, great money--tough and well-earned, but most of the time, very fun as well.

Good luck on the truck once things slow down

Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah I enjoy it, and we make good money too. We are currently being audited so, even though the lawns have slowed down, I'm still very busy.

As far as the truck, all I have done is steal the trailer hitch and put it on my longbed.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
yea man i'd def get a cherry picker a few buddies and swap that engine out. You'd be so much more comfortable in the lariat

Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, it's been a really long time since I've updated, but anyway, the lawns never slowed down, so I havent had a chance to do any work yet. However, I did test drive some of the new f150's, and I think my mind is made up: I'm not going to re-power this one. The new ones are just so much better it seems. By the time I get done, this will be a ten year old truck, and I would rather just pony up a little more and buy a nicer used new generation truck.

Which brings me back to my first question: What is it goingt to take to swap interiors here? People have told me that the auto-ac wont work because the computer cant support it, but cant I just take the lariat's computer too?? shouldn't everything just be able to swap straight over, minus the rear doors and trim near that, since mine is a reg cab? Under Dash wiring harnesses, everything? I think I will just paint or have painted any parts that are left on mine and I can't find replacements.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You should be able to swap full dash and harness and the auto AC should still work.

You're looking at probably 30hrs of interior work on each of the two trucks

Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Get a Junk yard motor

Go to a junk yard. Buy you a $500-1000 motor. Swap it in to the lariat. I have swapped motors plenty of time in under 5 hours. Its not that big of a bear. Just read up, get a haynes manual, find a friend that has pulled out a motor and see if he will help, and get your lariat running. You will appreciate that way more than just swapping out the interior and its a lot less work. My 2 cents

Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 AM
You guys are really making this a tough choice for me. I'll have to look into that before I start tearing apart the interior...

Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I vote get it running than drive it for a bit than trade it in on a new F-150 if you really want one... To swap the interiors and get it all wired up is going to be a pain motor swap would be easier and faster and than you will have a way nicer truck.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM
From my personall experience, I think in the long run you will be happier with just swapping the motor. It's going to be a pain to get all the wiring working right, especially if you don't have the plugs already there, and don't forget bout the added relays, fuses and all that good stuff. I would swap the motor, buy some rims and 33's for it and have a really sharp truck to cruise around in.

Quick Reply: XL to Lariat Swap