XL to Lariat Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XL to Lariat Swap

Hello,

I've been looking around the forum for quite a while now, and I'd like to say thanks to everyone who is so helpful on here. This is my first post, so bear with me.

I drive a 2005 XL 5.4 regular cab/longbed, with a grey interior. Manual locks, windows, mirrors, a/c, am/fm radio (no cd), column shifter, etc... The most basic...

I have recently found Lariat CrewCab shortbed from this generation (not sure of the year) that I can basically have anything I want from it. Everything works (I think) except the engine. The interior is black, with column shifter and 40/20/40 bench seat like mine, except with cup holders/storage in the fold down middle seat.

Ideally, I would love to make my truck as nice as possible, so i would love to swap the following:

Chrome front and rear bumpers (has parking sensors)
(Also has fog lights)

Lower bumper with tow hooks

Radio

Seats

Mirrors

I'd like to add power doors/windows/mirrors

certain parts of dash

instrument cluster

auto a/c

cruise control/radio controls on steering wheel

My question is how difficult will it be to add electrical things like fogs, parking sensors, power mirrors/doors/windows, radio controls, auto a/c? I have all the parts available from the donor truck, but what things would I need to remove?

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Does your truck have all the plugs and wireing for it already?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, I'm super jealous. I've been doing this same thing (Albeit quite slowly for the last couple of years) but I can share with you what I know.

The front end on the 04-05's are different from the 06-08's. Basically the easiest way to tell the difference is the square fog lights and the round fog lights.

Anyways, they aren't 100% compatible. You'll notice a substantial gap between the top and lower bumper if you mix them. Other than that, the exterior is fairly swappable (assuming the cab configurations are the same). I know the front doors can be different. I want to say that the Reg cab and the Crew Cab are the same and it's the extended cab that's different; but maybe someone who knows 100% can chime in.

On the interior same thing with the door cards, make sure the one's you pull from are the same type of cab that you have. Some dash parts depend on the type of console (ex: flow through, Radio/HVAC surround, etc.). However, vents, gauge clusters, radios, Lariet trim around gauges ARE all swappable.

Seats are swappable, but know that the wiring for power seats probably won't be there. Same thing for power mirrors and fog lights (both of which I've found out the hard way).

Sorry if this comes off as super jumbled, but I'm going off of my head waiting for class to start.

Hope it helps!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sweet! keep us updated and post pics! welcome to the site as well man!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah the Scab doors on the '04-'08s are longer than the Reg/Screw doors. I'm guessing that the body pieces would fit, the wheelbases being the same, but to say the least, this will be an interesting thread....

Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why don't you swap your good motor to the lariat?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by worm5932
If it's a 4.2 I wouldn't want to put that in a larger cab.. Don't get me wrong I love my little V6 but she's slow enough as it is. I know that I wouldn't want her having any extra weight (from a larger cab or bed).

That's just my $0.02 though. Maybe the OP just hasn't thought about that yet

Good luck and yes welcome! What was I thinking not saying that before!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 5.4XL

I drive a 2005 XL 5.4 regular cab/longbed
Originally Posted by animated_zombie
If it's a 4.2 I wouldn't want to put that in a larger cab..

Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 AM
^ditto. .......

Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
@ 06yz250f & 1997 lariat 4.6

Originally Posted by 5.4XL
I have recently found Lariat CrewCab shortbed from this generation (not sure of the year)
He has a Reg Cab. The parts truck is a Crewcab. I was saying that if he put the 4.2 (if that's what he has) from his truck into the parts truck, he'd have a V6 in a Crewcab and the the power to weight ratio would make for an incredibly slow truck.

His current truck is what you were quoting, he has a reg cab 8' bed and the parts truck is a Crewcab 5'5 bed.

EDIT: My whole point is probably invalid since I can infer that he has a 5.4L V8 from his screen name! Haha, oops. Just noticed that... Ahh I need some coffee.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 PM

animated_zombie, you added the fogs to your truck? I plan on doing that soon. You're was not pre wired behind the bumper? If not, what did you splice into?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
animated_zombie, you added the fogs to your truck? I plan on doing that soon. You're was not pre wired behind the bumper? If not, what did you splice into?
Yes, I added the fogs. I also added the OEM switch in the dash. The wiring is the funny part since it doesn't exist. Don't tell anyone, but my fog lights don't actually work yet... :o But, I'm either going to create my own wiring (or more likely) splice into high beams and do the "Bambi" mod (the fogs coming on with the high beams).

Wiring is not my forte, hence why it's not done yet, but it's pretty high on my to-do list for this spring.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wondering what the OP decided to do about this swap....

Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Curious myself, haha..

Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by animated_zombie
First off, I'm super jealous. I've been doing this same thing (Albeit quite slowly for the last couple of years) but I can share with you what I know.

The front end on the 04-05's are different from the 06-08's. Basically the easiest way to tell the difference is the square fog lights and the round fog lights.

Anyways, they aren't 100% compatible. You'll notice a substantial gap between the top and lower bumper if you mix them. Other than that, the exterior is fairly swappable (assuming the cab configurations are the same). I know the front doors can be different. I want to say that the Reg cab and the Crew Cab are the same and it's the extended cab that's different; but maybe someone who knows 100% can chime in.

On the interior same thing with the door cards, make sure the one's you pull from are the same type of cab that you have. Some dash parts depend on the type of console (ex: flow through, Radio/HVAC surround, etc.). However, vents, gauge clusters, radios, Lariet trim around gauges ARE all swappable.

Seats are swappable, but know that the wiring for power seats probably won't be there. Same thing for power mirrors and fog lights (both of which I've found out the hard way).

Sorry if this comes off as super jumbled, but I'm going off of my head waiting for class to start.

Hope it helps!
Thanks! Your input is helpful, thanks for taking time to type that all out. I've been out of town and I just saw these replies. But yeah, that is along the same lines as I was thinking...

Originally Posted by 1997 lariat 4.6
sweet! keep us updated and post pics! welcome to the site as well man!
Will do. Thanks!

Originally Posted by worm5932
Actually, I considered that, and the quote was 5K. Does that sound right? I was quoted 6~7K for a new engine. Does that Sound right?

Originally Posted by DSGSTX81
Wondering what the OP decided to do about this swap....
Honestly, I'm seriously leaning towards repowering the Lariat and leaving my XL as it is. I think that would be a good idea for two reasons - I would get to drive a nice Lariat, and I would pay ~7K for a roughly 25K truck. What do yall think?

Quick Reply: XL to Lariat Swap