$20K truck and a .10 cent Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrb03
Yup, but you forget about the cost to repair the locks/door handles when they pop them in, $875 last time. Just like if they chose to break a window instead, your insurance would cover that, and it would be much cheaper.

You could do all different things with your insurance policy, like choose a higher deductible to offest premiums. I have a $50 deductible on my vehicles. I have some coverage on property also, but not sure the amount, I would need to look at that.

My statement about premiums going up was a quote from MY insurance agent. You have to realize I was setting up a policy on a new truck, and had just had my previous truck's locks repaired before trade in, they had been damaged since the holidays. The topic only came up because he setup the repair for me the week before. He told me to not be surprised when my rates get adjusted some in the near future, and referenced my prior lock issue as a reason. I have no idea why he would make this up, and I believe him since I know breakins are a big issue on these trucks in this area. He also mentioned that the insurance industry has been on Ford about this issue, and Ford has ignored, which brings us back the point of this thread, Ford has **** poor lock design.
Yes, it sounds as YOUR rates are going up because of your latest claim. I can tell you without a doubt, USAA does not raise rates based on break-ins or theft of a particular vehicle. USAA is the best carrier out there, but in order to be a member, you must meet certain requirements. Maybe you can join - and save some cash.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Yes, it sounds as YOUR rates are going up because of your latest claim. I can tell you without a doubt, USAA does not raise rates based on break-ins or theft of a particular vehicle. USAA is the best carrier out there, but in order to be a member, you must meet certain requirements. Maybe you can join - and save some cash.
USAA is not the best, sorry. Their headquarters are right down the street from us, and they employ thousands of people here, but we switched several years back. My rates are not going up because of this one claim, it was only our second claim in over 5 years with State Farm. Honestly, I dont need to save cash, so no more insurance carrier recommendations please...LOL.

Boy am I sorry for ever bringing up the insurance issue. It was only meant to be an example of how big the problem really is with the locks on Ford trucks. Didnt mean to scare people about their rates going up. Unless you own a Ford truck in the south texas region, and have SF insurance, you probably dont have anything to worry about, but who knows and I really dont care. But still, be aware of the issue and dont leave anything valuable in your truck.

Last edited by jrb03; 03-17-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by jrb03
USAA is not the best, sorry. Their headquarters are right down the street from us, and they employ thousands of people here, but we switched several years back. My rates are not going up because of this one claim, it was only our second claim in over 5 years with State Farm. Honestly, I dont need to save cash, so no more insurance carrier recommendations please...LOL.

Boy am I sorry for ever bringing up the insurance issue. It was only meant to be an example of how big the problem really is with the locks on Ford trucks. Didnt mean to scare people about their rates going up. Unless you own a Ford truck in the south texas region, and have SF insurance, you probably dont have anything to worry about, but who knows and I really dont care. But still, be aware of the issue and dont leave anything valuable in your truck.
Well I will jump back one more time, not to argue about rates or anything but to say I'm sorry you fellas deal with all this crap down there. It really sucks that punk kids have nothing better to do than be useless ******. I am surprised to hear all these horror stories from TX, I didn't know these problems existed on this scale. I've lived up north here my whole life, usually no more than a half hour from Boston, and also spend a great deal of time up near Manchester, NH, and have never heard of thse problems with one particular vehicle make being singled out so much. Best of luck to you all, hope you catch some of these clowns in the act.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:53 AM
I would have thought that there would be fewer problems with break ins in Texas, isn't Texas a "concealed carry" state? The thieves down there must be brave or stupid (probably a lot of both). I in know way condone vigilanties but personally I view the the tool that the thief is using to break into my truck as a weapon and a threat to me so you are justified to defend yourself by any means necessary.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by satexasf150
You know I just had my truck broken into last night and this was the 6th time, 5 for my 250 which I dumped and once for my 150. I read here about plugs flying out brakes locking up Trans going to he** and I makes wonder why I ever by ford products. Now don't get me wrong I’ve owned 8 ford vehicles and sold plenty.. But FORD come on, do you take ownership of anything you sell other than the money we pay for these vehicles. When I talked with the fuzz on this they told me in my town the 150 and 250 are the tops on the list for brake in list. I wont mention the tool used or how but you all know the common one. But what I'm doing is welding the hole shut on the back and fiber glassing the hole on the cylinder. Also I already have a car alarm installed for activation of any small vibration. I got one of those snot slinging mind bending loud alarms to go off. But I just wonder some times what the heck these ford design people are thinking when they build some of these flaws into a truck. Oh I forgot the one where the cruise control switch just catches fire. Now don’t get me wrong lets all join in a and sing the "Ford" song, I still semi-like ford but it just irks the snot out of me when I see a big company take no responsibility for major design flaws like these. Ok that's enough, thank you very much...
You live near Mexico. It's a well-known fact that Mexicans steal trucks because they are much more useful in Mexico than a car. It sounds like the resolution that you are looking for is moving further from the Mexican border.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
x2!!! USAA is the SHI*!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by novsun88
are those 2 way's pretty good? And how is the range cuz i do live in apt. complex? Would they work pretty good.. Also what about when I'm in at work?
i have only used compustar systems... i have found them to be great.
range is awesome imo but all depends on obstacles and your battery life... keep the battery fresh and your good...

i live in a condo and was able to check the status on my car from where i live to the parking garage below.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
When someone mentions a pager alarm I keep thinking about the 750 BMW I read about in the paper. Late night the owner gets paged by his car, he goes out and scares the punks off. A couple nights later he is once again paged by his car. As he runs by his hedge he gets a shotgun blast to the lower back, killing him instantly.

I have talked with deputies who told me they would have no problem writing the report of a dead crook, I was told all they want to hear is, "I was in fear of my life". Now if liberals get ahold of this...those poor crooks.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Grafix Ink.
i have only used compustar systems... i have found them to be great.
range is awesome imo but all depends on obstacles and your battery life... keep the battery fresh and your good...

i live in a condo and was able to check the status on my car from where i live to the parking garage below.

Hmm... Id like to pick your brain about the system your talking about.. how does it intergrate with the Factory Alarm system, and what model do you have? Costs associated? Wiring is easy enough.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by novsun88
Hmm... Id like to pick your brain about the system your talking about.. how does it intergrate with the Factory Alarm system, and what model do you have? Costs associated? Wiring is easy enough.
how it integrates with factory alarm i have no idea... as the civic didn't have one to begin with... i would think it overrides it. costs.. was around $400 for the alarm and costs associated with installing it. wiring etc is eay enough yes, but it is *heavily suggested that a licensed shop of the product do the install for warranty to be in effect and other reasons... 2way pager alarms also can drop

insurance prices depending on your insurance company.... contact them for details

my setup was
Compustar 2W900FM-A Paging Car Security System
info on system:
Up to 5000 Feet Range ( Canadian Version ).
- Basic Remote Features.
- Two-way paging remote.
- Remote vibration and audible notification.
- CompuGlow backlight.
- Multi-color LCD (liquid crystal display).
- Passive on/off through remote.
- Valet mode on/off through remote.
- Uses standard AAA battery.
- Built in Clock.
- Largest LCD of any CompuStar remotes.
- 2004 Innovation Award Winner.

Basic Alarm Features.
- Includes dual stage shock sensor.
- RPS (remote paging system).
- External Siren (six-tone).
- Super bright blue LED's.
- 2-auxillary outputs.
- Dedicated trunk output.
- Horn honk output.
- Includes starter-kill relay.
- Driver's priority unlock.
- Ignition controlled door locks.
- Keyless Entry.
+ battery backup siren
+ 3 extra peizo sirens (high db/tone interior sirens... placed in trunk and under dash)
+ after a year of having it i wanted even more protection and wired in 12v Air horns into the alarm.
+ removable killswitch wired to my fuelpump

car was virtually unstealable.. only way was to tow it away, even then they would have to bypass the alarm.. and with the airhorns and sirens they wouldn't have much time before the entire block could hear it going off.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone tried to break into mine with a screwdriver and didnt get in...I was quite proud of the ol ford!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Why don't the Ford engineers design a better locking mechanism. My F150 was broken into twice in 4 months in broad daylight, once at a gym and once at a restaurant. They popped the locks on both sides. I asked the police detective about locks and he said the F150 are the easiest to defeat. He suggested buying a Toyota. I wrote an email to Ford asking about the locks and if they have made them better since 2001. They responded that I should take my truck to my local delaership for repair. Then I wrote a hardcopy letter to Ford. No response in 2 months. I'm in the market to buy a new truck, but Ford is not high on my list of replacements due to poor engineering and poor customer response.

Quick Reply: $20K truck and a .10 cent Lock