$20K truck and a .10 cent Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jrb03]First of all, sounds like your getting raped on insurance policy. I pay $855 yr on new 08 FX4. That shows the regional differences in insurance rates.QUOTE]

You are right, regional differences are HUGE. It may sound like I'm getting raped to you, but in NE here, it's average. Mine is an '08 ext. cab 4x4 xlt. The cost of living in NE is quite high, especially in MA anywhere near Boston. Ins, rent, food, everything tends to be higher, but it reflects in average median income and home value as well. There is a big difference between MA and TX. I believe aside from us here in the northeast, the only other part of the country that comes close is San Fran, but I could be off on that. But the point to my post was I pay no more on my Ford than anyone with a Chevy or Dodge, and the rates are dropping. Whether "Ford Rates" are going up, I don't know, but even though vehicle type is factored in on my insurance, it is based more on the general type of vehicle (truck, car, etc.), and the location of garaging it. And when you compare the big three and insurance costs, I am not paying any more than the others and I think it's an unfair statement, and maybe not always correct to say Ford is more, or is going up, because for me it's not.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by ryan42680
Really? I always thought the chipped key makes it so you basically can't just easily hotwire like an older car because the vehicle needs to get the signal from the key to function. But hey, if you can get around a chipped key in 3-4 mins, then you might need to change professions! I just don't think the average thief, someone who breaks into any and everything, can do that. Do you have experience with the systems on Ford vehicles, because that could be a big help.
It does make it harder... But if you have a clue about the PATS/SPATS systems its not that hard... The average thief, HELL NO!

Give me a 1990 GM and 2 minutes... MINE!

Look at my sig... I bypass the chips for a living... MECP First Class Car Audio Installer.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 AM
am not paying any more than the others and I think it's an unfair statement, and maybe not always correct to say Ford is more, or is going up, because for me it's not.
It is as far as Im concerned... Damn A rabs...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Cool, well I think then we are on basically the same page in that the average thief won't get far on a vehicle with a PATS installed. And an experienced thief will pretty much get what he wants, regardless of make, model, security sysyems installed, whatever.

Last edited by ryan42680; 03-16-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=ryan42680]
Originally Posted by jrb03
First of all, sounds like your getting raped on insurance policy. I pay $855 yr on new 08 FX4. That shows the regional differences in insurance rates.QUOTE]

You are right, regional differences are HUGE. It may sound like I'm getting raped to you, but in NE here, it's average. Mine is an '08 ext. cab 4x4 xlt. The cost of living in NE is quite high, especially in MA anywhere near Boston. Ins, rent, food, everything tends to be higher, but it reflects in average median income and home value as well. There is a big difference between MA and TX. I believe aside from us here in the northeast, the only other part of the country that comes close is San Fran, but I could be off on that. But the point to my post was I pay no more on my Ford than anyone with a Chevy or Dodge, and the rates are dropping. Whether "Ford Rates" are going up, I don't know, but even though vehicle type is factored in on my insurance, it is based more on the general type of vehicle (truck, car, etc.), and the location of garaging it. And when you compare the big three and insurance costs, I am not paying any more than the others and I think it's an unfair statement, and maybe not always correct to say Ford is more, or is going up, because for me it's not.
Well I think I made it pretty clear that it is regional differences in insurance rates, and that Im not comparing Ford versus anyone else. In your area there are FAR fewer Fx50s than here. Here, State Farm rates on Fx50s will go up sometime this year. Up is not going to be hundreds of dollars, more like a few im sure. I have no idea if this is going to be a national increase or not. The reasons you state that yours are going down, have nothing to do with the rest of us, again regional differences.

Back to the point, Ford please reinforce the locks with metal fasteners, nylon does not cut it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I really guess I'm just failing to see your point. I don't know what an Fx50 is, but if you mean Ford, I'm sure there are alot more there considering the size and population of TX vs MA, but I would be willing to bet that percentage wise there are similar numbers compared to other models. Unless TX is a Ford state and noone else buys any other makes? And you say your rates are going up sometime this year in TX, can you speak for every other state? Maybe rates are increasing in your part of the country alone. Is it all insurance agents or just State Farm? You might want to look at other policies.

You are trying to tell me rates on F150s are going up because they are broken into alot, and I'm telling you my rates are actually dropping, REGARDLESS of what I pay compared to other makes of trucks. And the reasons I state the cost is going down IS national, not regional. If the U.S. Legislature passes bills regarding insurance rates, it's not affecting just MA, it's national.

You came here saying your rates are going up, and that sounds regional to me, perhaps because you are right, maybe in your area Fords are stolen or broken into more. But here they are not, so you are really arguing with yourself regarding regional comparisons. I just always forget that in these forums someone is always smarter or knows more than you because someone told them some information that must be true.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I really guess I'm just failing to see your point. I don't know what an Fx50 is, but if you mean Ford, I'm sure there are alot more there considering the size and population of TX vs MA, but I would be willing to bet that percentage wise there are similar numbers compared to other models. Unless TX is a Ford state and noone else buys any other makes? And you say your rates are going up sometime this year in TX, can you speak for every other state? Maybe rates are increasing in your part of the country alone. Is it all insurance agents or just State Farm? You might want to look at other policies.

You are trying to tell me rates on F150s are going up because they are broken into alot, and I'm telling you my rates are actually dropping, REGARDLESS of what I pay compared to other makes of trucks. And the reasons I state the cost is going down IS national, not regional. If the U.S. Legislature passes bills regarding insurance rates, it's not affecting just MA, it's national.

You came here saying your rates are going up, and that sounds regional to me, perhaps because you are right, maybe in your area Fords are stolen or broken into more. But here they are not, so you are really arguing with yourself regarding regional comparisons. I just always forget that in these forums someone is always smarter or knows more than you because someone told them some information that must be true.
Fx50 = Ford truck = F150 F250 F350

Just because Im from Tx doesnt mean I haven't been in your area. I spend alot of time in the northeast on business, cars rule up there, down here its trucks. Ford trucks are very popular. Ford trucks are very easy to break into to steal your radio/shopping bags/whatever. Thieves down here know that and target Ford trucks. In your area Im sure they target something different. The OP and I are from the same area, so I was agreeing with him and directing my response to him.

For the last time, I have stated very clearly, that STATE FARM rates will go up SOON HERE. I dont know about other insurance carriers, I dont know about other areas of the country, and frankly I dont give a damn. The rate hike will not influence my decision on insurance carriers, a few more dollars will not break the bank. I have no idea why you want to argue about something so trivial. I never said your rates are going up, you pay enough as it is.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:08 PM
He said Ford has ignored the insurance industry for the last few years about the locks, and the rates will now climb.///

This in no way implies that a ford costs more than a chevy to insure, just that Fords breakin issues will cause ford rates to go up
So were you trying to say at that point that State Farm rates are going up or all insurance carriers? I don't know why you're getting so defensive in this thread, basically making it seem as though you are right about everything and you travel all over, particularly the northeast (which part? for what purpose?) so you in turn know what's what. You jumped in the thread saying because of Ford's lock design insurance rates are climbing. I replied to you that they are not for me, and I would be willing to bet that the case is similar throughout the country. You mentioned I was paying way too much for my rates, and my rates don't need to go up because I already pay enough, but if you spent even a day in New England, not just the northeast as you say you do, you would realize everything is typically more, and just as everything tends to cost more, the average annual income is greater so it balances out. I'm not going to try to explain the differences in income and cost of living in the U.S. to you, but like you said, you've been up here, so you should know that insurance costs more, but it is average for this area, not way too much. Point being my rates are not going up with my policy because of a lock design flaw, my rates are dropping because of U.S. legislature passing new bills causing insurance companies to become more competetive and lower rates across the board.

The reasons you state that yours are going down, have nothing to do with the rest of us, again regional differences.
The reason I've been stating has EVERYTHING to do with the 'rest of us'. It is not a regional thing, it is Congress. But it does sound like your regional differences in TX and the popularity of the truck getting broken into there and your State Farm policy increasing due to those factors have nothing to do with the rest of us.

I'm done with this thread, you can come back and tell me now you are a junior rep for a carrier group and you travel the lower 48 for all I care. Have a good one

Last edited by ryan42680; 03-16-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
It is as far as Im concerned... Damn A rabs...
That's a BIG 10-4. I could NOT agree more.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Advice for SA area F-150 owners

As a resident of SA for 10 years, my '97 was broken into about 6 times (prob. more if I even noticed). Pissed off and frustrated, I quickly learned to adapt. First of all, SA has a huge vehicle theft / vandalism problem that is not going away. These are kids / punks who are bored and have nothing better to do than to burglarize nice trucks- and unfortunately, they do it very well. ALWAYS park under or near a light! ALWAYS have your alarm set. If you don't have one, just leave your doors unlocked to avoid further damage - seriously. And, NEVER leave ANYTHING valuable in your truck. If you do, it's only a matter of time.

Next time you are sittin' at a red light, look around and spot the f-150's with busted doorlocks. I can almost spot one every time! Most owners around here don't even bother getting them fixed b/c they are gonna go right back and bust them again!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by RockTX
As a resident of SA for 10 years, my '97 was broken into about 6 times (prob. more if I even noticed). Pissed off and frustrated, I quickly learned to adapt. First of all, SA has a huge vehicle theft / vandalism problem that is not going away. These are kids / punks who are bored and have nothing better to do than to burglarize nice trucks- and unfortunately, they do it very well. ALWAYS park under or near a light! ALWAYS have your alarm set. If you don't have one, just leave your doors unlocked to avoid further damage - seriously. And, NEVER leave ANYTHING valuable in your truck. If you do, it's only a matter of time.

Next time you are sittin' at a red light, look around and spot the f-150's with busted doorlocks. I can almost spot one every time! Most owners around here don't even bother getting them fixed b/c they are gonna go right back and bust them again!
Ditto that. Its a big problem here, every punk kid knows how easy it is to pop in the lock on a Ford. My wife and I have played that same game, spot the lock. I guess this problem hasnt spread nothward yet, but it will.

My brothers F150 was popped in broad daylight at the HEB on I-10 and DeZavala. The responding officer told him to get a Chevy.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Actually your insurance premiums should not go up due to F-150's getting broken into and having items stolen from inside because your insurance only covers you if the vehicle is in an accident or stolen, in order to have the contents of your vehicle insured you have to set a $ amount that you want to insure and pay accordingly, sort of like renters insurance.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM
SFM
I had my 06 F150 stolen from a buddy's apt. complex last Nov. Cops told me the F150's and the new F250's are the biggest theft/stolen vehicles in the Memphis metro area.. Not just car thefts.,,, but thefts and break in's... The cop said they can break in and drive off in a Ford in about the same time it takes to use the keys... 05 and up are the top of the list..

Never did find my truck....

Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by LastSplash
Actually your insurance premiums should not go up due to F-150's getting broken into and having items stolen from inside because your insurance only covers you if the vehicle is in an accident or stolen, in order to have the contents of your vehicle insured you have to set a $ amount that you want to insure and pay accordingly, sort of like renters insurance.
Yup, but you forget about the cost to repair the locks/door handles when they pop them in, $875 last time. Just like if they chose to break a window instead, your insurance would cover that, and it would be much cheaper.

You could do all different things with your insurance policy, like choose a higher deductible to offest premiums. I have a $50 deductible on my vehicles. I have some coverage on property also, but not sure the amount, I would need to look at that.

My statement about premiums going up was a quote from MY insurance agent. You have to realize I was setting up a policy on a new truck, and had just had my previous truck's locks repaired before trade in, they had been damaged since the holidays. The topic only came up because he setup the repair for me the week before. He told me to not be surprised when my rates get adjusted some in the near future, and referenced my prior lock issue as a reason. I have no idea why he would make this up, and I believe him since I know breakins are a big issue on these trucks in this area. He also mentioned that the insurance industry has been on Ford about this issue, and Ford has ignored, which brings us back the point of this thread, Ford has **** poor lock design.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by SFM
I had my 06 F150 stolen from a buddy's apt. complex last Nov. Cops told me the F150's and the new F250's are the biggest theft/stolen vehicles in the Memphis metro area.. Not just car thefts.,,, but thefts and break in's... The cop said they can break in and drive off in a Ford in about the same time it takes to use the keys... 05 and up are the top of the list..

Never did find my truck....
Its true! Using a simple screwdriver, you can get into the truck in the same amount of time as using a key. Now getting past the PATS system to steal the truck Im not sure, but have heard it is very easy with the right equipment. Sorry about your truck, I know the frustration.

Quick Reply: $20K truck and a .10 cent Lock