$20K truck and a .10 cent Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this after my ranger was stolen then set on fire..

http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20JJ.htm

I'll do a write up sometime if you'd like..

EDIT: here is the direct link for f150..

http://www.jimmijammer.com/JJ%20desc...,%20113200.htm

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by novsun88
Saw this after my ranger was stolen then set on fire..

http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20JJ.htm

I'll do a write up sometime if you'd like..

EDIT: here is the direct link for f150..

http://www.jimmijammer.com/JJ%20desc...,%20113200.htm
Well I just order a set.. 44.95$ shipped ground.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Podunk
Its not Fords fault?

Maybe you should try moving out of the Texas ghetto.
Sorry dude but have to call you out on this one. We dont live in the Ghetto of Texas, but like every city there are some bad parts. I live in a gated community, but my previous F150 was still broken into with the stupidly easy "pop in the locks" method. My brother watched as someone did the same to his at work, literally took 2 seconds to get in. I will probably be a Ford truck owner for life, but quit being a blind fanboy and do some reasearch and you will realise how bad the design is. Last week I was getting insurance on the new F150 and my rep told me rates on Ford trucks will be going up soon, due to the break in issues. Not the most stolen, but the most broken into and highest claims for any vehicle. He said Ford has ignored the insurance industry for the last few years about the locks, and the rates will now climb.

I totally agree, if they want to get in they will get in. My wifes car had a rock thrown threw the window several years back. I gurantee that the locks on the F150 make them a target though.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by crooked
Well I just order a set.. 44.95$ shipped ground.
They are definitely worth that. I read that there is a caddy dealership that installs these on all their cars. I wish ford would just build them that way. It sucks I learned the hard way.. It's the worst feeling to walk out and your truck is gone.. I've attached a picture of the b4 and after of it..

before.. http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...sun88/flat.jpg

after.. http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...05-08_1221.jpg

now w/ new truck (right after i put the grille guard on :
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...12-08_1246.jpg

Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM
what about an alarm? starter kill? backup sirens?

i just sold my civic... which had all aboved installed plus a removable kill switch which i wired to the fuel pump.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Well my Jimmy Jammer's just arrive. Quick shipment!! They look pretty sound. I'll see how the install goes.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Grafix Ink.
what about an alarm? starter kill? backup sirens?

i just sold my civic... which had all aboved installed plus a removable kill switch which i wired to the fuel pump.

In my case yes those would have helped. But just moving to a large city from a small town I never thought about theft... On my f150 I have a couple of the featurse you listed above. But mainly the trucks are easy to break in . The product I linked to would help prevent that. An alarm works pretty good, but I'd rather stop them before entry. Even if the alarm goes off there is still a good possibility that they will still get SOMETHING.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by ryan42680
And if they are a good thief, they would know the truck can't be started easily without the chipped key.
Not true.... I can get around it in 3-4 min.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
They are definitely worth that. I read that there is a caddy dealership that installs these on all their cars. I wish ford would just build them that way. It sucks I learned the hard way.. It's the worst feeling to walk out and your truck is gone.. I've attached a picture of the b4 and after of it..

before.. http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...sun88/flat.jpg

after.. http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...05-08_1221.jpg

now w/ new truck (right after i put the grille guard on :
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...12-08_1246.jpg

That guy deserves the death penalty for touching anothers vehicle.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
In my case yes those would have helped. But just moving to a large city from a small town I never thought about theft... On my f150 I have a couple of the featurse you listed above. But mainly the trucks are easy to break in . The product I linked to would help prevent that. An alarm works pretty good, but I'd rather stop them before entry. Even if the alarm goes off there is still a good possibility that they will still get SOMETHING.
i did the same thing.. moved from large to small city and found more issues with smaller crimes... i think its boredom with most teenagers etc.

i always get a 2 way paging alarm with every vehicle i own... backup sirens, cut offs etc are easily added on for not much more $...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Grafix Ink.

i always get a 2 way paging alarm with every vehicle i own... backup sirens, cut offs etc are easily added on for not much more $...

are those 2 way's pretty good? And how is the range cuz i do live in apt. complex? Would they work pretty good.. Also what about when I'm in at work?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah I'd def. blame FoMoCo because some little snot-nosed kid or some guy looking to get some crack money broke into my truck....

ever stop to think that it doesn't matter what vehicle you buy and whatever high end alarm system you have? if someone wants your vehicle, they will get into it / take it / molest it / whatever. I don't think I'd be ragging on Ford because I live in a crappy neighborhood. Go buy a Toyota - I heard they are so ugly nobody wants to even get near them to steal chit...

Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Not true.... I can get around it in 3-4 min.
Really? I always thought the chipped key makes it so you basically can't just easily hotwire like an older car because the vehicle needs to get the signal from the key to function. But hey, if you can get around a chipped key in 3-4 mins, then you might need to change professions! I just don't think the average thief, someone who breaks into any and everything, can do that. Do you have experience with the systems on Ford vehicles, because that could be a big help.

As far as it being "Ford's fault", I don't really have a great response for that. But what about Accords and Camrys? I forget which one it was but one of them was the highest for stolen vehicles. Does that mean that manufacturer is at fault because it is a popular vehicle?

As far as insurance going up, I gotta call you out on that. I just moved from a smaller town in MA to a larger city...Lawrence to be exact, one of the stolen car capitals of the Northeast, a possibly US. I have no issues so far (knock on wood!), and when I switched the garaging address on my insurance, my rates did go up, not because of the vehicle but becasue of the location, and my agent had told me rates will be DROPPING because new bills being passed in legislature are making companies compete more because owners can switch easier now, so they need to drop their rates to stay in competition and keep policy holders. Prior to buying my F150 I had priced qoutes for insurance on different makes, same models, all excabs, 4x4, larger V8, mid grade level (xlt, lt1, etc), and though all three big makes were similar in costs, Dodge was the most, then Ford, and then Chevy. I pay $1250/year, the Dodge was $1325 and the Chevy was just under $1200. Just food for thought...

Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by wrobo23
Yeah I'd def. blame FoMoCo because some little snot-nosed kid or some guy looking to get some crack money broke into my truck....

ever stop to think that it doesn't matter what vehicle you buy and whatever high end alarm system you have? if someone wants your vehicle, they will get into it / take it / molest it / whatever. I don't think I'd be ragging on Ford because I live in a crappy neighborhood. Go buy a Toyota - I heard they are so ugly nobody wants to even get near them to steal chit...
Your totally missing the point. Yes, I think we all agree, if they want to get in they will. The issue with Ford trucks is it is ridiculously easy to pop in the lock and get in the truck. This takes a couple of seconds and makes no noise and draws no attention. If your a thief, would you rather pop in the lock of a ford quietly, or bash in the window of the vehicle next to it. The locks on a Ford make them a target for the snot nosed kids and crack heads, thats the point.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by ryan42680
Really? I always thought the chipped key makes it so you basically can't just easily hotwire like an older car because the vehicle needs to get the signal from the key to function. But hey, if you can get around a chipped key in 3-4 mins, then you might need to change professions! I just don't think the average thief, someone who breaks into any and everything, can do that. Do you have experience with the systems on Ford vehicles, because that could be a big help.

As far as it being "Ford's fault", I don't really have a great response for that. But what about Accords and Camrys? I forget which one it was but one of them was the highest for stolen vehicles. Does that mean that manufacturer is at fault because it is a popular vehicle?

As far as insurance going up, I gotta call you out on that. I just moved from a smaller town in MA to a larger city...Lawrence to be exact, one of the stolen car capitals of the Northeast, a possibly US. I have no issues so far (knock on wood!), and when I switched the garaging address on my insurance, my rates did go up, not because of the vehicle but becasue of the location, and my agent had told me rates will be DROPPING because new bills being passed in legislature are making companies compete more because owners can switch easier now, so they need to drop their rates to stay in competition and keep policy holders. Prior to buying my F150 I had priced qoutes for insurance on different makes, same models, all excabs, 4x4, larger V8, mid grade level (xlt, lt1, etc), and though all three big makes were similar in costs, Dodge was the most, then Ford, and then Chevy. I pay $1250/year, the Dodge was $1325 and the Chevy was just under $1200. Just food for thought...
First of all, sounds like your getting raped on insurance policy. I pay $855 yr on new 08 FX4. That shows the regional differences in insurance rates. I have no idea of the comparison prices between Ford/Chevy/Dodge here. I only stated that my State Farm agent told me that Ford trucks rates would be going up some soon, and he referenced the locks as the reason. This in no way implies that a ford costs more than a chevy to insure, just that Fords breakin issues will cause ford rates to go up.

Quick Reply: $20K truck and a .10 cent Lock