New LED headlights came in today

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue150
Also, I know with all the opposition to your upgrade here you might be inclined to not post night pics due to ridicule, but please do. You might save others the trouble of spending the money on these by letting them see the output pattern. Sorry, I don't mean that to sound as bad as it does. I couldn't think of a better way to word that.
I will not even bother because I can clearly see it wound't matter with all the experts. I can say that I am very happy with them and tested having two different friends drive towards me on a dark road and neither one had any issue with my lights. Also never got high beamed and I have been driving around all night.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For an actual comparison, you should try putting the halogen bulb back in on one side and driving at night. I bet you'll notice a difference in how far you can see.

I think the color looks cool, but unfortunately, that's the only reason most pull the trigger without and real knowledge of how an LED will work in a housing made specifically for a halogen bulb.

I am but no means calling you stupid or anything of the sort. The companies that want your money will claim these have been tested and will work great in the stock housing. However, when digging deeper, you find that's not true at all, as there are no housings that'll work correctly for each, since each emit light differently.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have pictures of LED bulbs in halogen housings when I get to a computer I'll post them off. It's horid. So many dark spots and glare like no other. It's bad

Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wolfram
I will not even bother because I can clearly see it wound't matter with all the experts. I can say that I am very happy with them and tested having two different friends drive towards me on a dark road and neither one had any issue with my lights. Also never got high beamed and I have been driving around all night.
Being high beamed had nothing to do with it. We have people running their high beams all the time during the day and no one flashed them. My girlfriend has left hers and mine retrofits in high beam with others on accident and no one flashed us. Everyones tolerance on how bright something is is different. Heck people in cars flash people with their low beams on.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
You really need to let your inner feelings out. Keeping them all pent up inside like you do will just lead to bad things.
Haha I'm trying to avoid the banhammer. I could be worse.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
For an actual comparison, you should try putting the halogen bulb back in on one side and driving at night. I bet you'll notice a difference in how far you can see.

I think the color looks cool, but unfortunately, that's the only reason most pull the trigger without and real knowledge of how an LED will work in a housing made specifically for a halogen bulb.

I am but no means calling you stupid or anything of the sort. The companies that want your money will claim these have been tested and will work great in the stock housing. However, when digging deeper, you find that's not true at all, as there are no housings that'll work correctly for each, since each emit light differently.
Actually, I would like to see this comparison. And nobody is calling you stupid or claiming to be experts. We have all made the same mistakes and are just trying to keep others from doing the same. Unfortunately, people have a need to learn for themselves at their own expense and that gets frustrating from time to time.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wolfram
I hope you don't take offense to what may seem like "piling on" here. The truth is that many of us have "been there and done that" on just about every conceivable type of lighting improvement / modification. Like you, we've done that in search of improved lighting. What we're offering back is what we learned the hard way - and sometimes at considerable expense.

The sad truth about just about any "improved lighting" product that simply replaces your OEM headlight bulb(s) is that the illumination source is very different from the glow emitted from the filament of a halogen bulb. (Just look at the diode placement on your new bulbs to see that difference.) And that bulb is just part of a system that also includes a lens and a reflector at minimum. All of these parts are very carefully designed and tested to work in harmony. Generally speaking, if you change any one of them out, the system will no longer work properly. The most common bad effect is glare for oncoming drivers as you've heard many of us mention. Other things that we've discovered about most aftermarket "upgrades" include poor lighting distribution, hot spots, short service life, flickering when cold, burned up OEM lighting harnesses, melted sockets, etc.

I truly do wish you well with your new headlights and it does sound like you're very happy with them. I just wish I could find the long thread from another forum I frequent where a guy started out just like you with an LED headlight bulb upgrade. He was blown away with how great the bulbs worked and I have to admit, the pictures he posted were pretty impressive. Even I was thinking of pulling the trigger despite the elders on that site saying the same stuff you're seeing here. About 35 pages into the thread, the OP - who had not been posting for a while - suddenly posted back in that he had pulled the bulbs from his truck after the second or third set had failed within one year. (Funny, he hadn't mentioned that.) He ended up admitting that all of the bad stuff he had been warned about was actually true. I just hope that doesn't happen to you.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I hope you don't take offense to what may seem like "piling on" here. The truth is that many of us have "been there and done that" on just about every conceivable type of lighting improvement / modification. Like you, we've done that in search of improved lighting. What we're offering back is what we learned the hard way - and sometimes at considerable expense.

The sad truth about just about any "improved lighting" product that simply replaces your OEM headlight bulb(s) is that the illumination source is very different from the glow emitted from the filament of a halogen bulb. (Just look at the diode placement on your new bulbs to see that difference.) And that bulb is just part of a system that also includes a lens and a reflector at minimum. All of these parts are very carefully designed and tested to work in harmony. Generally speaking, if you change any one of them out, the system will no longer work properly. The most common bad effect is glare for oncoming drivers as you've heard many of us mention. Other things that we've discovered about most aftermarket "upgrades" include poor lighting distribution, hot spots, short service life, flickering when cold, burned up OEM lighting harnesses, melted sockets, etc.

I truly do wish you well with your new headlights and it does sound like you're very happy with them. I just wish I could find the long thread from another forum I frequent where a guy started out just like you with an LED headlight bulb upgrade. He was blown away with how great the bulbs worked and I have to admit, the pictures he posted were pretty impressive. Even I was thinking of pulling the trigger despite the elders on that site saying the same stuff you're seeing here. About 35 pages into the thread, the OP - who had not been posting for a while - suddenly posted back in that he had pulled the bulbs from his truck after the second or third set had failed within one year. (Funny, he hadn't mentioned that.) He ended up admitting that all of the bad stuff he had been warned about was actually true. I just hope that doesn't happen to you.
+1
I melted the factory harness on a 2001 Dodge Stratus. Had to splice on new pigtails and a few feet of wiring and chase down burnt fuses till I got it fixed. I have 3 pairs of Xentec H13's in my garage right now, complete with ballasts that came out of my 08 F150 and my ex's Escape. Never again.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I will say the 2009 factory F150 halogen housings have a pretty well designed reflector bowl that has a decent "cutoff" built into the headlight.

That being said, it's designed for halogen bulb, which sits in a very specific location and emits light in an even and perfect 360*

Single LED or a complicated array of LEDs simply can't ever emit light in an even 360* not to mention the mounting depth could be different.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Here are the pictures I promised. Forgot I already had it saved on my photobucket.
Very spotty and no control.
Name:  FB_IMG_1455456712025.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  47.3 KB

Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Holy crap. I could night squirrel hunt with those. I can see the supposed cutoff but the light surpasses that line.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Yep! And they guy has the nerve to say that's better than this
Name:  outputlow.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  111.9 KB
Name:  outputhi1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  86.8 KB

Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 PM
You know, I honestly think most people see it as a good deal and don't really think the light glare will be that bad based on the pics and raving reviews you see online. Hell, maybe that is why we all keep repeating each others mistakes. lol

Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 PM
It's easy to see all those lit up signs and the stripes in the street and attribute that to better lighting. Atleast, when you first get them.

I'll tell you when it hit me was driving from Dallas to Pensacola and hitting heavy fog over the I10 Basin Bridge. That was like driving through marshmallow whip.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Blue150
You know, I honestly think most people see it as a good deal and don't really think the light glare will be that bad based on the pics and raving reviews you see online. Hell, maybe that is why we all keep repeating each others mistakes. lol
And that's the problem most reviews are from people that don't know any better, and pictures are doctored up to look like better output. It's very deceiving. But that's why we gave forums so people can read about what's crap and what's good.

Quick Reply: New LED headlights came in today