lightning heads/corners

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine are still good after a year.

Sidenote: Why did you change your name?!?! I guess the numbers game is uncool now? Can we drop mine down to Raptor?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Mine are still good after a year.

Sidenote: Why did you change your name?!?! I guess the numbers game is uncool now? Can we drop mine down to Raptor?
to make it easier to PM me or find me in a search (as a moderator)

and not sure you'd have to go through the big guys above me and ask them, but generally we dont do that

Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
to make it easier to PM me or find me in a search (as a moderator)

and not sure you'd have to go through the big guys above me and ask them, but generally we dont do that
Will blackhawk helicopters appear in my backyard if I ask?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raptor, just another question. i've been looking up those xtreme vision bulbs and i cannot find a whole lotta feedback/reviews on them. i was wondering if you know of any comparison pictures or if you have in fact used them yourself lol and have your own review on them. thanks, just lookin for some more info on these bulbs.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 AM

I've never been able to get my hands on a set but I know in fact there is a member here who has used them and has posted pictures of them. It was about a year ago so it would be pretty hard for me to find them. I've always had great performance with anything carrying the Philips label and if I weren't running HIDs I would be using those.

The Philips Xtreme Vision +100 are the newer and more powerful bulbs. Compared to Sylvania's line, this would be their "Silverstar Ultra"

The Philips Xtreme Power +80 is a little older, but it features an 80% increase over stock long-life lamps. Since its not as powerful as the XVs, they last a little longer. I have yet to see anyone do a side-by-side of the Philips Xtreme Vision +100 and Sylvania Silverstar Ultras (that would be awesome to run both at the same time and see which lasts longer) but I'd imagine it would be a very negligible difference. The Ultras would be whiter, but then again the Philips last longer (one place quoted 320 hours) versus the 75-150 hours for Silverstars.

These are the only comparison shots I could find. No name OEMs versus Philips Xtreme Powers +80

Stock on the top, Philips +80 on the bottom.

If you are looking for a night-and-day difference, don't get too excited. Not one brand of bulb is going to be magically brighter than another of the same type. DOT standards call for what each bulb is allowed to be put out to be considered legal. The allowable range is larger than you might suspect; for HB5 (9007) the spec is 1350/1000 lumens (high/low beam) @ 12.8v ±15%. That means the low beam filament can legally emit between 850 and 1150 lumens, a range of thirty percent. In that 30%, manufacturers use different techniques to get either more light or more life. Like I said above, I've never seen a side-by-side of 9007 Silverstar Ultras versus Xtreme Visions but honestly I would say the Silverstars would be a hair brighter (I'm talking within 100 lumens, something you're eye wont be able to detect). However, The Philips will last longer. If you don't need all that power, step it down a bit and service length for both goes up. Both Sylvania USA and Philips offer long life bulbs. Sylvania has the EcoBright bulb and Philips the EcoVision, both which are on the lower spectrum for the DOT required output, but have a life that triples what the Silverstar Ultras or XtremeVision/Powers put out.

Its a compromise.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 08-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
well thanks for all that info raptor. in that comparison shot you can notice that the xp's definitely has some better light output and it also looks a tad bit whiter too. cause like i said i have the Philips crystal vision ultras right now and they perform pretty well. and now that all i have left to do to my truck maintenance wise is pads/rotors and tires, once i get those 2 done i was planning on saving to get some clear heads and either get just another set of the crystal visions or get a set of the xp's or xv's. also, i kind of want to nightshade my tailights as well.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Lookie what I found:

Philips Xtreme Power +80 on the left. Sylvania Silverstar on the right

Low

High

I told you the Silverstars would be more colored. And the poster says: "I feel the the Silverstars shined farther down the road and were brighter with the high beams on but the light was significantly bluer."

Hm. If I had halogen lamps I would really buy two sets to find out which is better! The Xtreme Powers do come in a 9006...I could get a 9006 Silverstar and change the base to run them in my fog lamps...

Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
interesting... the silverstar is definitely more colored as you said and from this comparison they both almost look even regarding light output lol this is a tough one! and the beam of the silverstar high does look like it disperses the light better than the philips but like you said the best way to test em is to try em both!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM

The only way for me to do this comparison would be to buy a twin pack of the Philips since they only come in a pair. That would be a $70 test counting in the Sylvanias too

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
i know what you're saying haha hopefully some comparison shots come up soon

Old 08-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Speaking of which, if you want to see something interesting, check out the thread I just started

Quick Reply: lightning heads/corners