retrofit; no high beams. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retrofit; no high beams. please help!

ok so let me start by saying im fairly decent at electrical stuff so im not completely clueless on some stuff buy i am on this situation. the truck is a 2004 xlt (new body style). i did a mini h1 retrofit and while i was putting them together i was playing with them to make sure everything worked properly, and it did at first. the shield was dropping down properly then i got the driver side mounted and tested alignment and hit the high beam and it worked then just quit working. i changed the relay in the fuse panel on the passenger side fuse box thing and still no high beams. the high beam indicator doesnt even come on. checked plug and no power there. what else can i do?? i want to get this project finished but i cannot get my high beams to work. im sure its an easy fix and im probably over-thinking it, but i just want them to work properly. thanks in advance fella's

p.s. forgot to add the relay still clicks in FTP mode and when high beam mode is engaged. also, i have done the bambi mod but never a single problem till now..

Last edited by DanielWalker10; 06-01-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Without having power to the high beams it it can only be a few things, but I would start with checking the fuse ( Fuse #35 )

not too sure what the retro fit is, but are you running this off the stock wiring ( sounds like it is, just want to check ) ?

If so, you might want to switch this, the bulbs in addition to what sounds like a mechanical item ( shield ) could be more than the factory fuse can handle ??
This is just a SWAG on my part.

This is working under the assumption that the relay you changed to is a known good working relay ( not too sure how you tested it prior to installing it or if you changed from another relay in the CJB ).

Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM
so fuse #35? i never checked any fuses cause i though the high beams just ran through the ISO relay. i plugged in halogen bulb and it too only had low beam. i'll go check #35 right now..

well i'm embarrassed. i completely overlooked that fuse in my manual. i guess once i seen "instrumental cluster" i totally disregarded the high beam headlamps and indicator. thanks man.

Last edited by DanielWalker10; 06-02-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM

it happens, just be thankful it was an easy fix

Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
oh im very thankful. lol so far so good, if it blows again, should i jump up 5 amps since i have done a retrofit which may require a bit more power? i know thats "unsafe" but would 5 amps be a small enough jump to be safe? i think i should be fine now, just looking out for future problems.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

I wouldn't.
You are better off using the high beam circuit to trigger a relay that is attached to the battery, with larger wire and its own fuse / relay.
The relay, wire and fuse are sized to take the load as 80% of max.

An example would be a circuit with a 10A fuse ( and wire to match ) is designed to be an 8a continual load. given the 10A fuse could be a rounding issue ( say of the load is 6A, add 20% is 7.2 a, and the closest fuse is 10A ).

2 * 60W each high beam = 120 W, which should be 10A @ 12V.
This would mean the circuit is designed to take 12A max, but rounding error puts it all the way to 20A.
If this is the case, and you blew a 20A fuse from load, going to 25A is not going to be a good idea.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Daniel, I hope you are using a bi-xenon relay, correct? The switch (coming off the H13 socket) shouldn't draw anywhere near what they used to.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:15 PM

You should be fine with the right relay. I have 4 projector high beam solenoids wired to the stock high beam harness and it works fine, draws way less power than the factory 65w high beam filaments.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
ok thanks guys. had em on all day just so i can see them on tail gates. (i know i looked like an attention *****. haha) and the high beams still work properly so who knows what blue the fuse. now if i could get the passenger side bulb to sit in there correctly i would be a happy camper. the 35w 6k bulbs are bright but through my 25-28% windshield they look like regular ol' halogens with a cut off line. haha overall, im impressed with them despite the bulb not wanting to fit correctly.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If they are morimotos, email Matt @ TRS- there have been a few issues about that going on recently

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
i already did that. lol he told me try a couple things and if they are still present then we'd go from there. so far im pretty impressed with the side thats aligned right. lol

Quick Reply: retrofit; no high beams. please help!