Standard Climate to Auto Climate control conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard Climate to Auto Climate control conversion

Does any one know if it is possible to put an automatic climate control in my 05 FX4.I know the whole panel would have to be replaced but I want to see if it is possible before going too far into it.My system works fine I'm just lazy and want the hands off feature.If anyone knows if this will work please let me know.I would also like to get an idea of where I could find one of the automatic climate control setups if this conversion will work. Hey STEVE will the wiring setups interchange?

Bob.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Any takers?Someone must know the answer to this!!

Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 PM
was pondering the same myself. I read something on here about it once, I think it is a quite extensive mod.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:39 AM
From what I've heard, you need to replace the entire HVAC system, which includes the heater core. Or this is true on the older models like mine.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Man! I hope not!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Old 03-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bob,

From what I am looking at, it is just about as bad as the post Zaairman made above.

1. Does the FX4 have Autolamps on it ?
1.1. Part of the EATC runs through the Autolamp sunload sensor, which in the CV URL, the Sunload Sensor almost looks to be seperate. The Autolamps Sunload sensor on the F-150 now runs through the BSM ( Body Security module ). If you don't have Autolamps, that looks to be something you would need to wire in, and as luck would have it, the BSM is just about center behind the rear seat.

2. The blower motor speed controller would need to be put in place of the Blower motor resisitor ( on the manual, a resisitor is used to change the blower motor speed ).

3. With the Electronic Manual Temp Control ( what controls the fresh air /recirc, defrost panel mode actuators, and blend door actuators ) is swapped out with the Eletronic Auto Temp Control module, and some rewiring is going to be needed. The pins that connect these are 2 different connectors. The manual one uses C294A, the Auto one uses C228A. It is not a simple plug and play, as some of the pins in the connector go to different places ( i.e. the pin 9 on the manual is part of the recirculate motor, on the Auto it is for the heated window if installed )

4. The AC section looks to be the same on both, so you would not need to make any changes there.

5. The in vehicle temp sensor would need to be installed, which is changing out part of the dash trim panel by the ign key. There is a little grate there for the vehicle temp on my Lariat.

6. This is aside from if you are changing out the steering wheel to the Lariat style where the temp controls are on it on the right hand side ( Temp up & down switch and the Fan speed up & down switch ) along with the Audio controls for the radio above it ( vol up & down switch , Media & next switch ).

Let me know if you want me to go through the service DVD and try to find the other items that might need to be changed out aside from the outline of the items listed above from the EVTM.

Thanks

Steve

Old 03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
MY FX4 does have the autolamp.It has every option offered besides auto climate and DRL's.I don't think the auto climate was an option for the FX4 though.I kindof had to commit to the purchase of a wrecked 05 Lariat Supercrew with all the stuff I need so I may as well go through with this.

Bob

Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Ouch.. ok, since you alredy own all the parts, you are going to be a god for doing this to an '05 FX-4

Someone posted the Fod glossy they got from a dealer, late production FX-4 per the glossy have the Auto climate control as an option, as well as I think heated seats, and the heated mirrors ( took the EATC control head and installed it in the FX-4 ). I will try to find that thread, it was one of those stupid FX-4 vs. Lariat threads.

With the service DVD showing only 1 install for the heater core, and the AC, you look to be good there, no tearing that out. Also if you pull out the center console trim panel, is there 2 connector with pull over latches on them on the EMTC module ?
On the Lariat there are 2 of these back there, one seems to be for the EATC, the other seems to be for the heated seats and heated mirrors, as well as the sun sensor load and in vehicle temp sensor, and the blower motor signal.

The Electronic Manual Temperature Control module would need to be changed out for the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control module
If you use the parts from the Lariat, see if you can remove the pins from the connector back behind the EATC, this would save some solder heat shrink work, to move the pins that need moving.

The other question, is do you plan on installing the heated seats and heated mirrors ( don't know if the FX-4 came with this, seems by your post it did already ), since you might have the correct parts, depending on the color of the interior of the parts truck ( '05 parts truck...when we were kids, it was an extra '72 F-100 that you got parts off... )

I am going to email you a few connector pages from the EVTM, rather then post up lower res pictures in my gallery. These have the location of the connectors in the dash view, and the connector pin outs, with teh circuit numbers.

Good news, it looks as if the blend door and the panel mode on both the Manual and the Auto are both electronic controled. If you pull your center console trim panel, there should not be any vac lnes to the EMTC module.

2 things to confirm behind the center console trim panel:
1. There is only 1 26 pin connector ( I need to look closer, the EMTC and the EATC connectors seems to be exactly the same !! ) to the EMTC.
2. There are no Vac lines to the EMTC

1 thing to think about
1. Are you going to install the heated seats and heated mirrors, if you don't already have them.

2 thing on my list
1. Email you the connector views and the connector location diagrams
2. find the post with the FX-4 glossy with the EATC note in it, and still trying to find the center FX-4 trim panel with EATC option ( 1 is for me anyway, 1 for you, to keep the interior look the same ).

Good luck, let me know where we stand.

Steve

Old 03-26-2006, 10:14 AM

Got another one doing this

Just found this myself, looking for the EATC on a FX-4 info.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...highlight=eatc

Last edited by SSCULLY; 03-26-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:17 AM

FX-4 Lux package

Bob,

Here is the lux package info ( glossy ) for thelate build '06 FX-4s.

That is the center trim panel I want to get for my Lariat, and get rid of the Coffee table look center console trim panel.

I gave up and sent Jerry at Westfield ford an email and asked him to look it up. I can't find any late build '06 parts info, the DVD I bought is too old ( OCT-05 ) for this application

Last edited by SSCULLY; 03-26-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Bob,

Here is the lux package info ( glossy ) for thelate build '06 FX-4s.

That is the center trim panel I want to get for my Lariat, and get rid of the Coffee table look center console trim panel.

I gave up and sent Jerry at Westfield ford an email and asked him to look it up. I can't find any late build '06 parts info, the DVD I bought is too old ( OCT-05 ) for this application
Yeah I was keeping an eye on this thread.I have the heated seats and all.I just don't want to hack any wires.Warranty issue you know.If it isn't going to be pretty much plug and play I will eBay parts off the Lariat.If it is just a few pins that I have too change and some bolt on items then we have a go.Should be getting the Lariat on April 1.I'll have to trailer it from NC.

Bob.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 AM

FX-4 EATC Instrument panel center finish panel

I will be able to confirm this once my parts are in ( just ordered them last night ) but this should be the correct P/N for the FX-4 EATC ( Lux model ) Instrument panel center finish panel.

6L3Z-1504302-AD 1@ ~ $63.00

Again, this is what Ken at fordparts.com found for me, once I get the parts I will confirm if it is correct.

For the Lariat guys converting the 70's coffee table look ( this is what I am trying to do ), the FX-4 ash tray is 4L3Z-1504810-CAA 1 @ $51.90

As long as everything turns out, I will post the pictures of the Lariat Instrument panel center finish panel to FX-4 conversion.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I will be able to confirm this once my parts are in ( just ordered them last night ) but this should be the correct P/N for the FX-4 EATC ( Lux model ) Instrument panel center finish panel.

6L3Z-1504302-AD 1@ ~ $63.00

Again, this is what Ken at fordparts.com found for me, once I get the parts I will confirm if it is correct.

For the Lariat guys converting the 70's coffee table look ( this is what I am trying to do ), the FX-4 ash tray is 4L3Z-1504810-CAA 1 @ $51.90

As long as everything turns out, I will post the pictures of the Lariat Instrument panel center finish panel to FX-4 conversion.

Your going to make me kill myself!!I just paid $5000 for these parts!! Maybe I will eBay it and make my money back.Already may have sold the engine.Funny thing is I actually haven't gotten the truck yet.I did pay for it but the guy I bought it from is cool.I may talk him into buying it back if this conversion would work in my truck without an entire doner truck.How much will total cost be?

Bob

Old 03-30-2006, 08:47 AM

Bob,

This is just the trim panel, supposedly for the FX-4 with the EATC ( late '06 production, called the Lux model ). The donor truck you have, has the 70s Coffee table looking trim panel like mine

Looks like from fordparts.com :

AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR : $55.70
IN-CAR SENSOR : $10.89
SUNLOAD SENSOR : $23.51 ( might be the same one you have installed from teh factory ? ).
DASH CONTROL UNIT w/ATC w/o Rear Defroster, w/Heated Seats : $187.49
Steering wheel with 7 button controls for temp fan and audio ( cruise on L/H side )

Add to this the harness for the EATC that is not the same as the EMTC ( cam over connector, that replaces the blower contolr switch and blower motor resistor ) This could be either new, or from a bone yard. At the moment, I cannot think of the other items required to make it work.
I guess keeping the donor truck, and parting out stuff to pay for it, or getting rid of it is your call. I am sure there is a bit more that would be needed for this.

Quick Reply: Standard Climate to Auto Climate control conversion