Black/Pink wire for reverse camera? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black/Pink wire for reverse camera? WTF!

So, I used the search function, and I found several posts that say to tap into the Black/Pink wire to get a signal to the head unit telling the HU that the truck is in reverse. I saw a couple of posts that said something like, It's easy to find, it's the only black/pink wire you will find.

I started my install today and went looking for that wire. HOLY CRAP!

I looked and looked and looked. I went cross-eyed looking. I found several black wires, but none with a pink stripe(as far as my old eyes could see).

Please tell me that there is another place to find this wire.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Isn't the wire supposed to be near the fuse box in the passenger's kick panel area?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled the connector out of the back of my fuse box and tapped into it. I did have more than one black/pink on mine. I just used the one that was behind the appropriate fuse.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I guess depends on the year. Were you have the picture is were i tapped into for my back up camera for my hu . I have a 08 lariat

Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mark05KR
So, I used the search function, and I found several posts that say to tap into the Black/Pink wire to get a signal to the head unit telling the HU that the truck is in reverse. I saw a couple of posts that said something like, It's easy to find, it's the only black/pink wire you will find.

I started my install today and went looking for that wire. HOLY CRAP!

I looked and looked and looked. I went cross-eyed looking. I found several black wires, but none with a pink stripe(as far as my old eyes could see).

Please tell me that there is another place to find this wire.

I found the easiest place to find this wire is in the passenger side "a" pillar. Remove it and using a test light, probe a wire there is only a couple. Put the truck in reverse and see which one lights up, put the truck in park and it (the test light) should go out. I believe mine was a green and I can't remember the secondary color, but that should get you close. This is the wire that turns your rear view mirror monitor on, so cutting it will not allow the monitor to come on anymore. This is an easier wire run to your headunit also.

Also if you are interested the twisted pair of wires wrapped in foil........that is your reverse camera video signal.
Good luck

Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I found it! Went out this morning and looked at the bundle of wires again, and there it was. I couldn't see very well last night due to lighting conditions. It looked like the wire had a violet stripe (still does, really).

I tested it to make sure it came on when in reverse and off again when not.

Here it is with my wire attached.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Actually it comes out of that side bundle. You were showing the bundle in the pic. And normally the Blk/Pink is on the top of it.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
So this is behind the drivers kick panel. Correct? I plan on doing my install tonight.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by johnb62
So this is behind the drivers kick panel. Correct? I plan on doing my install tonight.
It probably is behind the driver's kick panel, but I found it in the bundle of wires that is under the sill plate under the driver's door, just forward of the drivers seat.

If you could use another picture or 10, let me know.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks!

Install delayed until tomorrow. Someone tried to run rocks through our garbage disposal today. Did you know it was actually possible to blow the side out of one of those things....

Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by johnb62
Thanks!

Install delayed until tomorrow. Someone tried to run rocks through our garbage disposal today. Did you know it was actually possible to blow the side out of one of those things....
Unfortunately..... YES!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Well congrats. I read here about a black/pink wire, a black/purple wire, and just a purple wire. We tapped the black/pink and nothing happened? 06 Lariat. I just settled for pushing the ON buttone when I want the camera to turn on.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 AM
With a Kenwood you will have to reverse the polarity in the menus. And double check you snagged the correct wire.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Well...I am installed. So far so good. Finding that black/pink wire was the hardest part. The information you provided was a huge help. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Joe'sSCAB
I found the easiest place to find this wire is in the passenger side "a" pillar. Remove it and using a test light, probe a wire there is only a couple. Put the truck in reverse and see which one lights up, put the truck in park and it (the test light) should go out. I believe mine was a green and I can't remember the secondary color, but that should get you close. This is the wire that turns your rear view mirror monitor on, so cutting it will not allow the monitor to come on anymore. This is an easier wire run to your headunit also.

Also if you are interested the twisted pair of wires wrapped in foil........that is your reverse camera video signal.
Good luck

I found the wire in the pillar, It's Grn/Ylw and also followed another lead I found in the forums about the Rd/Ylw and Blk/Ylw as the video feeds, connected to an RCA cable and ran to the head unit "video in" and I get no picture on the HU.
Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks, Ken

Quick Reply: Black/Pink wire for reverse camera? WTF!