*A damsel in distress... please help!*

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face *A damsel in distress... please help!*

Ok guys... here's what happened... I locked my keys in my '06 Explorer.. I have the keypad on the door, however, the battery was also dead. SO.. I had an auto body shop come over, and the guy got it unlocked. I asked him if he'd also give me a jump. Well, it took like 20 minutes, and nothing was happening except sometimes my interior lights would come on, then the next minute.. nothing. He wiggled the cables around a few times, took them off and tried different ones. Ok this is getting long.. but it's leading to my problem. When he hooked the cables back up, I.. yes me... I noticed he had the terminals crossed on my battery.. ya know.. the red on the black, and black on the red.. I know there's a name for it but I forget..LOL.. Well, I said.. Um... I think ya got that mixed up.. So, it was on the wrong terminals for about 15 seconds or so. Ok, so it finally started, but, it blew a fuse on my stereo. I have the factory 6 cd changer. I got the radio to work, but NOW........ I know for a fact that I have at least 4 cd's in there, and it says NO DISC. When I press the load button, it says LOAD ERROR, and when I press the eject button, it says NO DISC. Someone please.. tell me.. do you think it's screwed up because of the cross terminal thing? Is there some sort of master reset that I can do? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Does the car start and drive properly? Fusable links possibly? Not to sure myself, hoping my rambling sparks someone else's thoughts.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, it starts and drives just fine, and everything else seems to be in working order. I don't know what 'fusable links' are..???

Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Fusable links are wires that are designed to burn up if too much current goes thru them. Kind of like a fuse.

Ya swapping the polarity on your radio could definately cause some problems.

I'm supprised it runs still.

Maybe they have a diode in the computer so it won't fry it but the radio didn't have one?

Not sure. Does the radio work ok besides the CD thing?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, my radio works fine other than the cd player... it won't load, won't eject, and won't play the cd's that I know are in there.

Thank you for replying..

Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Maybe there are two fuses for that stereo?? Not sure just a thought.

Maybe there are two feeds. One for the stereo, one for the changer?

Anyone know?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by pvexplr06
Yes, my radio works fine other than the cd player... it won't load, won't eject, and won't play the cd's that I know are in there.

Thank you for replying..
That really is a puzzelment. Is this the CD changer that is located in the console or is it in the dash with the radio?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM

I didn't know they made one expect like the one that's in my wifes cougar.

6 disk changer built in the double din factory radio.

but either way it COULD have two power feeds.

Just a guess though

Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you might have to take the radio apart to fish the CDs out of them if its an in dash changer.....

Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Wondering if it would accept another disc....blank or damaged one so you don't lose another CD. At least it will tell you if there is any power to the CD side of your unit if it accepts it.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Ok..efuehrin.. I'll have my husband check to see if there is a seperate fuse for the cd changer.. thank you..

Bluejay... it's in the dash built into the stereo..

OneTomcat.... no... as i previously said... it won't play, eject, or load a cd.. it will either disply 'No Disc' (i know there are 4 in there) or it will display 'Load Error'..

thanks for the suggestions.. I think I'm going to take it to a professional audio installer to take a look at it if it's not a seperate fuse thing. I did call him and he said to try disconnecting the power to it for 20 minutes.. so.. I'll keep ya all posted.. thanks again!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by OneTomcat
Wondering if it would accept another disc....blank or damaged one so you don't lose another CD. At least it will tell you if there is any power to the CD side of your unit if it accepts it.
except she already said she cant load discs.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Found out that there isn't a seperate fuse for the CD player.... but thanks for the suggestion..

Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Scrap it and start over. I see this all the time. The ford 6disc is made like crap, sorry.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Multi-disc changers are horrible, too many mechanical parts, mechanics usually fail before electronics. There is only one fuse and one power source. It's an all in one double-din unit. The only thing you can try is pull the harness from the radio for at least a few seconds, helps reset the memory in the changer. If it still doesn't do it then the cross connecting during your jump messed up the motherboards that initiate motor movement. All you can do with that is either use it for the radio alone, or pull it out and get another radio installed and take the old radio apart for retrieval of your old media.

Quick Reply: *A damsel in distress... please help!*