Sony Head Unit - Strange Problem - Losing Memory after 4 hours

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 AM
jsb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sony Head Unit - Strange Problem - Losing Memory after 4 hours

Hello All,
I have a strange problem. I know that the yellow wire must be hooked up to hot 12v full-time to retain memory. My Sony HU will have the clock stopped at about four hours time and all memory settings lost. It will retain memory up until that four hours of time since last time ignition was turned on.

I will reset the unit once again, but I'm not convinced that will solve it. I will check voltage at the yellow pin of the plug the next change I get to remove the HU again.

So to any HU experts, do you think my new Sony MEX-BT2600 is defective?

Wouldn't it be true that if I had no constant 12v at the Yellow wire, I would lose memory immediately after turning ignition off and opening the door on my 2007 FX4?

Thanks,
JSB

Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by jsb
Wouldn't it be true that if I had no constant 12v at the Yellow wire, I would lose memory immediately after turning ignition off and opening the door on my 2007 FX4?
Maybe not. If the unit has some sort of internal capacitance then it could essentially maintain enough power to retain memory settings.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I think that unit does have a few minutes saved time in it...

The 4 hours is odd though. If it was a 97-03, I would have understood the problem. Are you using an aftm harness? If so make sure the yellow wires have 12v all the time. Leave the HU out the dash and check the voltage after the 4 hour time frame.

If you lose power after the 4 hours at that harness, take a FUSED WIRE to the 12v constant under the dash.

If you dont. Try a new radio.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 AM
jsb
Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses. I have another wrinkle to add to the mystery. I think that maybe my PAC-SWI might be the culprit. On my initial installation, I had a Sony XA-300 Unilink Aux Input Adapter that would click (like a relay clicking) when the ignition was turned off. When I unplugged the power from PAC-SWI, the XA-300 clicking stopped. So I removed the XA-300, (giving up my factory Aux-input that the XA-300 was installed for), to keep the PAC-SWI. Well, since the PAC-SWI caused the XA-300 to click before, now I think the PAC-SWI might be the draw on the HU causing it to lose memory. I will know for sure this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend, when I tear the dash apart again. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of installing and removing the audio equipment from behind the center panel.

I'll follow up with my findings. Maybe I have a defective PAC-SWI.
Thanks,
JSB

Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Well, make sure you re-look at your connections. The red wire on the PAC SWI-PS goes to the red ACC wire.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 AM
jsb
Problem Solved - PAC-SWI - H/U Incompatibility

Thanks to all who answered my calls for help. I removed the H/U again, (the fourth or fifth time now), and disconnected the PAC-SWI from the H/U. No more memory loss problems. I checked my wiring, and it's correct. Red from PAC to Red on harness. And Black to black. The Sony MEX-BT2600 isn't listed on PAC's web site as a compatible H/U, but an earlier cousin is: The Sony MEX-BT5000. Oh well, I guess I won't be able to use my steering wheel controls after all.

I will call PAC tomorrow and find out what their tech support people say.

JSB

Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
If the PAC doesnt work...try peripheral's Peswips.

Or get the pioneer 7000. Much better headunit then the sony, plus an external microphone so you dont have to talk to the headunit like what you have.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
jsb
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
If the PAC doesnt work...try peripheral's Peswips.
Thanks for that tip, but the Peripheral PESWIPS is the very same product as the PAC-Audio SWI-PS. The products even look exactly alike.

I called PAC. They asked me if I would send them my brand-new Sony Head Unit and the PAC so they could confirm the problem exists. They said that there have been a few others who have mentioned the same problem, but those others have not sent PAC their Head Units to confirm the issue. I don't think I want to send them my head unit either. So just for everyone here, PAC SWI-PS and Peripheral's PESWIPS does not work with the Sony Bluetooth MEX-BT2600, unless you don't mind losing the head unit memory settings after four hours of the car being shut off.
JSB

Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by jsb
Thanks for that tip, but the Peripheral PESWIPS is the very same product as the PAC-Audio SWI-PS. The products even look exactly alike.

I called PAC. They asked me if I would send them my brand-new Sony Head Unit and the PAC so they could confirm the problem exists. They said that there have been a few others who have mentioned the same problem, but those others have not sent PAC their Head Units to confirm the issue. I don't think I want to send them my head unit either. So just for everyone here, PAC SWI-PS and Peripheral's PESWIPS does not work with the Sony Bluetooth MEX-BT2600, unless you don't mind losing the head unit memory settings after four hours of the car being shut off.
JSB
Send them your HU, I have people over there. You will help a ton of people. If its a big deal about not having a HU, Ill send you a loaner. But I would expect they will take care of you for helping them out.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
JSB:
You've probably solved the problem by this time, but if not here is the wiring color code for the Sony Receivers. This have been the standard wiring code for Sony receivers since around 1990.

SONY 16 Pin Audio Plug:
1. WHITE- Spk LF (+)
2. GREEN- Spk LR (+)
3. VIOLET- Spk RR (+)
4. GREY - Spk RF (+)
5. Blue/wht. - Amplifier Enable-Remote
6. BLUE - Antenna Raise Enable-Remote
7. RED- Accessory Sw/IGN. (+12V)
8. BLACK- Chassis Ground
9. White/blk- Spk LF (-)
10. Green/blk- Spk LR (-)
11. Violet/blk- Spk RR (-)
12. Grey/blk- Spk RF (-)
13. Lt. Blue- Cellular Mute (obsolete)
14. Orange/wht. - IP Illumination (Panel Lamp Ckt)
15. N.A.
16. YELLOW- Battery (+12VDC)

Old 12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
jsb
Thanks, - Problem has been solved.

Thanks for the reply. It turned out to be the PAC SWI-PS is not compatible with the Sony MEX-BT2600 and causes the head unit to drain memory after about 4 hours. After removing the PAC SWI-PS, all works correctly. D**n, I really wanted to keep my steering wheel controls, too.

Originally Posted by 98Expedition10
JSB:
You've probably solved the problem by this time, but if not here is the wiring color code for the Sony Receivers. This have been the standard wiring code for Sony receivers since around 1990.

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit - Strange Problem - Losing Memory after 4 hours