Help me build up a sytem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me build up a sytem

I think I'm about ready to get a sytem going in my truck finally. I dont really have a budget, but dont need the best of the best. Just a nice sounding mild sytem. I already have a single RF 10 inch sub under my rear seat. Everything else is stock. I want new door speakers, head unit and possibly a pair of new subs, but maybe after I get everything else done.

In the HU, I want a screen, maybe flip out so its not so noticable to thieves. I also might add a backup camera to it later on.

For door speakers I want it to sound better, lol. I dont know anything about componet systems either. I also dont know If I need an amp for the doors, or which one I would need.

I've done a few audio installs, but I want this to be just right. I dont want to go ask an audio store, becsuse half the time you cant trust them and they treat you like you dont know anything.

I have an 08 extended cab, so lets hear some ideas!!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I have an Alpine h/u that is a couple years old, nothin fancy. However, I just installed some Hertz speakers in both front & rear doors. Wow! They sound awesome, can't wait 'til I get an amp to 'em. You can see them in my gallery. I plan on adding a RF P400-4 for the door speakers, a P400-2 for the sub which will be a RF P3 Shallow 10". Both amps & sub will be under the rear seat.

For the h/u, I have an Alpine IVA-W200 double-din in my project truck. Love it! But I'm not too familure with other brands. After reading opinions here, you might wanna go out & "play" with all the brands you can get your hands on to see what you like.

You might wanna come up with a budget, though. Cause you can spend $1,000 all the way up & probably above $10,000.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM
if you want quality then go with like boston acoustic or alpine fo speakers, One suggestion is to change over your battery from a liquid to a gel, they are bettter for holding charge and your lights wont dim

Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 AM
as for headunits i would suggest the Alpine IVA-w505 you can see pics of it in my profile, its more visable but its the best unit out on the market so far

Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
There are a bunch of good sounding speakers out there but from what I've experienced the components are the way to go. They are so much clearer. It would also be wise to Dynamat your doors while you or the installer is digging around in there.

You don't really need an amp to power the door speakers but the sound difference is worth the money. OEM HU powering them will sound better than the stock speakers and an aftermarket HU will be even better. If you hook up an amp to the door speakers it goes up to an entirely new class of sound.

As mentioned above by somebody else, you'd better make a budget. Once you have a determined amount your willing to spend then you can start having fun with it.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
I already ordered the kenwood ddx512. Should be here friday. After I get it in I can get started on the speakers and amps. I just dont know which comps to run in the front doors, and what amp I'm going to use to run them.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lord Helmut
if you want quality then go with like boston acoustic or alpine fo speakers, One suggestion is to change over your battery from a liquid to a gel, they are bettter for holding charge and your lights wont dim
Yes, a gel battery will help. However, if you're gonna run a small system and not running alot of other aftermarket electrical goodies, you shouldn't have a problem.

Quick Reply: Help me build up a sytem