Harley-Davidson

Good Price on HD truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Price on HD truck?

I have the chance to buy a brand new Harley Ford for just under 33k. They have four available. Is this a good price?
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:56 PM
Yup

Old 07-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Sure is

Old 07-21-2002, 07:52 PM
Thumbs up

Old 07-21-2002, 08:40 PM
Damn, thats under invoice, depending on high or low 33k, what dealership is this?

OOPS, Mis read, that IS under invoice!!!!

Old 07-21-2002, 11:22 PM
The dealership is in fairfield Ca., but I went down to Concord ( in the bay area) and bought a gray Harley for 33800. This one was loaded with sun roof and all the goodies. The ones in Fairfield had less options. I now own a Harley Davidson F150 and I feel real good! Buy the way, I traded a 2002 Ram RC sport (with 20's) with only 8000 miles, I liked it but it was a little short on power. It had the 4.7 V8, I was going to spend the four to five thousand to get it supercharged but put that down on the Harley instead. I think I made the wise choice, what do you guys think?
Thanks.

Old 07-22-2002, 02:24 AM
Aren't these types of postings suspicious? Anyone with access to this website also has access to Kelley Blue Book online and Edmunds.com. Can't you just look on these websites for the invoice prices. One of our local dealers has his employees post on these types of sites to attract buyers on false pretenses. They even go so far as to sell the vehicle at the "low" price to those that will finance the vehicle. They make it up by going to their "buddy" lender and getting kickbacks to sell higher APR loans. Not many people pay cash. With leases, these hidden tactics are even easier to hide the perceived "low" selling price.

Another thing, if these dealers are selling them below invoice, then how are they making any money. I see that they get incentives for the number they sell the previous year, but not that much. They don't sell regular F-150's below invoice. A few hundred above at some dealers, but not many of those. There are many factors involved, but come on. They have to make money. I'd like to see those dealership's business plans and balance sheets! Why would they order them if they only lose money on them. They are special editions. Even with the "plans," the dealerships make up the difference from Ford direct. So a "plan" vehicle does not cost them on their bottom line.

Post the names and numbers of those dealers, so that I can sell them some WorldCom stock.

Old 07-22-2002, 04:18 AM
hey...dont rain on his parade...im buying a new truck...ive been doing my research...ive got invoice pricing...33500.00 is the price ive been given...its above invoice...but i can wait...they want to sell these puppies.
..im a cash buyer and i walk away if they go into there sales pitch...i dont want to hear it...hey the economy was triving last year...this year its the pits...those trucks arent moving..ive been shopping for a month and see those 2002 HD'S
still parked in front of the dealerships...its a buyers market...i might just buy used on the ebay circut or private party...power to the buyer...dont let them bleed you...good job BOMBTECH...im going for the juglar...

Old 07-22-2002, 08:45 AM
The dealers that sell at or a little above invoice make money on the holdback. I think Ford's holdback is 3% of msrp. So on $38,405, they make $1152.15.

Old 07-22-2002, 05:03 PM
Yes, the Ford holdback is 3%. The holdback depreciates over a 90-day period. After 90-days, it is "spent." If they can sell the vehicle within those 90-day, then yes, they make that invisible profit. Almost all have stated that these vehicles have been on the lots for months. Dealerships that have a positive cash balance in the bank (have money on top of inventory) can afford to keep a vehicle on the lot longer than the 90-day period. There are only about 10% of dealerships that can do this. The "at or below" invoice tactic is a good idea, but in this crappy economy, it will bite them in the butt. After the 90-days, they cannot sell below invoice and remain profitable.

And by no means was the economy thriving last year, or the year before. Maybe the first 1/2 of 2000, but just barely. Auto makers have not been profitable for some time. Kudos to those of you that can get at or below, but seems strange that you can find this website, but can't find the nationally know invoice publications, such as kbb.com and edmunds.com. Too suspicious since I saw that article in the news around here a few months back. Are those dealers selling all at or below or only these limited editions?

I'm lucky enough to get to order my SL500 at MSRP ($97K). I have to wait 1.5 years to even get that price. I can take from dealer inventory, but will have to pay $15K ($113K) over MSRP.

Just post those d-ship phone numbers. I'll buy a couple to bring down here to sell at a profit then. Can't find one below invoice around here.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Ravenel Ford in Ravenel, SC..
I think the website is Ravenelford.com/ phone number is on the site.
They sell everything at invoice + $98.00. If there is a rebate, they give you the rebate...

Old 07-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Thumbs up

im with you BigIke...ive been shopping..i know websites...ive been offered invoice and my rebate too..on a 2002 screw..28.500 for 2wd lariat with all the options...harley davidson models are getting closer to invoice everyday...hey nothing suspicous about comparing prices and steering new buyers in the right directions...

seems like our mercedes fan might be the one falling for the song and dance these salesman are selling...if you want that car go get it..germany!

Old 07-23-2002, 02:30 AM
I didn't mean to start a debate, all I know is what I paid and I am very happy with this truck. I have the power moon roof, 6 cd changer and the extend a bed option. There is also a reabate right now and it was good timing for me as they were having an inventory reduction sale. All in all, they treated me very well. The dealership is Lithia Ford of Concord, (925) 686-6611, my salesman was Mark Wagner, call and ask him about his sale of the only gray Harley on the lot to Frank if you must, remember I showed up armed with the prices from the dealership in Fairfield, so they knew I was comparison shopping. My VIN # is 1FTRW07322KD44684. I am just happy to be part of the group, that's all. I was looking at the Lightning as well, but I think I made the right choice in going for the Harley.
Thanks again guys.

Old 07-23-2002, 07:31 AM
keeper15,
Ever hear of the shift key or excessive use of the "..." blurb? Take some of that money you will save on the lariat and buy a new keyboard. There are no special incentives/rebates on HD models. What you are getting is a "loophole" that dealers have found to get the regular SCrew factory rebate. If Ford finds out, they may have to eat that cost. Only the lesser SCrews and SCabs should have the rebate. All the "websites" state this, even the Ford site.

A Lariat is not an HD. There is a difference in getting close to invoice and being at or below invoice. The suspicion arises from the fact that someone is buying a vehicle w/out knowing what the invoice price is. Maybe you have heard - "buyer beware." These dealers aren't out there to make friends with you. They are there to make money. Period (or in your case period, period, period).

Those deals are out there, but far and few. I bought my 1st vehicle at $98 over invoice, so it's no surprise. Maybe you should study up a little on marketing and the economy. Why don't you actually sit down and calculate the volume of vehicles a dealership must sell to break-even. I could have gotten $500 over invoice up in LA, but want to keep money in the SD economy. If we all go up there, then there will be no dealers down here.

Germany? I could go down to Mexico and gather the parts to build my own F150. Assembled in America, but born in Mexico. Just read the tag on all the parts. The HD is a limited edition, at 10-12K vehicles per year. The SL500 is normal production at 10K per year. BTW, you must be European - 28.500 is the EU notation for US$28,500. If you "know websites," then you would know that you can't take European delivery of the SL500. There are people who like cars (you) and people that are car enthusiasts (me). I read any and all info for cars from Kia's to Bentleys.

I get what I want and can afford to pay MSRP. I'm not going to waste my time trying to save a few bucks. I won't pay over, but don't care about MSRP. A few thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket. I buy from dealerships that cater to the buyer. You get what you pay for. The Mercedes is the lesser car compared to the BMW, but the customer service at a Mercedes dealership is 1000 times better. The only reason for the HD is to keep at least one American (brand) in the garage. Nothing (absolutely NOTHING!) rides like a German-engineered vehicle - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW. 15K miles between oil changes, 22MPG out of a 300HP+ engine, and the exclusivity to keep people like you out.

Bombtech,
Good deal on your purchase, but your ambiguity in your initial post had the signature of what our local dealer was doing to trick Web browsers into going into the dealership. It's good to elaborate when you collaborate. Welcome to the group. I'll probably be giving your guy a call this weekend about a purchase. I'll sell it down here for a few thousand profit and give someone a good deal in this area.

Old 07-23-2002, 08:29 AM
BTW, I will lease it to avoid paying double sales tax (once if I paid cash, and once if my buyers gets it from me). The person I sell it to will pay the tax when they buy out the lease. Probably give you guy a call today, if I can get some time.

Quick Reply: Good Price on HD truck?