Harley-Davidson

'02 guys--you gotta do this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 guys--you gotta do this!

Spending too much time browsing the L boards lately... anyway, on the NLOC board there was a recent debate about buying a CAI vs. doing the factory air box 'mod' and adding a K&N panel filter--the consensus was that the CAI was better, but only by 2-3 rwhp and it cost $300+. Said you will gain maybe 2-3 rwhp with the filter alone, 10-12 with the filter and box mod, 12-14 with CAI. I thought what the heck and ran down to Autozone and bought a K&N ($39) and whipped out the trusty Makita... 10 minutes later I was done. Remove the lower portion of the stock airbox and cut out the floor of the left side (viewed from the front) of the box--the dropped section... don't mess with the driver's side part. Drop in the filter, stick on the supplied seal to the upper section, and be prepared to be shocked! I gained a full pound of boost on my gauge, the blower whines like a banshee and there is a very noticable SOTP increase in performance. Our trucks must be incredibly choked from the factory... you'll see when you take the air box apart--all the air coming in must come thru a small rubber tube from the fenderwell. I've ran K&N's on nearly every vehicle I've owned for the last 15 years--never seen a performance increase like this. Do it. You won't be disappointed.

Old 06-08-2002, 12:02 PM
I guess I just wanted the Ram Air Kit cause it looks cool. I would think in theory you would have to get a little extra at speed since you are having the ability to get fresher air from outside the engine bay.

Old 06-08-2002, 04:27 PM
No doubt the CAI is better... but $39 vs $310 ??? For an extra couple of ponies? Maybe after I do everything else... I think the air box mod also pulls in plenty of cool air--the hole is cut in the bottom of the box, which places it more than halfway down in the front of the engine compartment--sucks air from underneath, cool air coming from in front of the truck.

Old 06-08-2002, 09:54 PM
No flame intended, but if I wanted an average truck I wouldn't have bought a HD. What I mean is, everything else on the truck is over the top, my opinion was why not?

Old 06-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Hey Rob, isn't the filter the same we had in our stock boxes on the Cobras?

Old 06-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Tomcat--Nope. The Cobra filter was conical, the HD has a flat panel filter. Mystery Fan--Agreed. I'm over the top on about anything with a motor . Just was thinking that the difference would cover a nice 8 lb pulley or something...

Old 06-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Rob,check out my post on BON.

Old 06-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Tomcat--Nope. The Cobra filter was conical, the HD has a flat panel filter. Mystery Fan--Agreed. I'm over the top on about anything with a motor . Just was thinking that the difference would cover a nice 8 lb pulley or something...
Your right about value, the ram air kit doesn't add enough for the money. I just wanted the WOW factor.

Last edited by Mystery Fan; 06-09-2002 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Rob, just did the airbox mod with the K&N......WOW It's incredible, I have never gotten such a response from a K&N and I have been using them on cars, trucks and bikes for years. The SOTP icrease is awesome. I haven't driven my truck all weekend, only the cobra, and I could still feel the difference. Best $40 I've spent in a long time. So where are you going to get an 8lb pulley? BTW, since you have an accurate gauge, how much boost are you getting?

Old 06-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Johnny Lightning Performance has 8 lb pulley for $270. Make sure you get some denso iridium plugs that are a colder range or two, you might want to call them.

I was told by JLP that the 8 lber for the L makes between 5.5 and 6 additional pounds of boost because of the larger upper we have.

If L are running an additional 4 lbs safely we should be able to handle 5.5 to 6 lbs more.

Last edited by Mystery Fan; 06-09-2002 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:15 PM
What kind of boost are these things making stock. Do you have to get a chip if you go to a bigger pulley?

Old 06-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Stock HD are making 6 lbs of boost, the L on the hand makes 8 lbs. Anytime you increase the boost, the PCM needs to be adjusted to take advantage of more boost among other things. Its not as easy as just slapping a pulley on. Increase engine temperature, timing are just two issues that have to be address.

A good tuner can go over everything with you. Since the HD is similar to the L, the learning curve for us is not as steep.

Old 06-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey mystery, what power mods have you done?

Old 06-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Tomcat--My gauge shows 6 lbs or so during the heat of the day, maybe 6.5-7 at best on a good cool night with denser air. It seems to be running about a pound higher since I did the mod . Killer #'s on the Cobra BTW!!! 480+rwhp on a near stock '99 Cobra with exhaust and a Paxton--bad ***! The L guys have told me they can run a 2 lb pulley with no problems, more requires a chip. JLP is the only one I know of building a 8 lber right now... should be perfect for our trucks. Make sure and run Denso IT-22 plugs... and a 160 degree thermostat.

Old 06-10-2002, 01:23 AM
slingshot,

How about some pics of the mod so I don't end up back at the dealership buying a new box to start the mod again from scratch

Thanks in advance!!

/tg

Quick Reply: '02 guys--you gotta do this!