Harley-Davidson

Anyone put a sub in an '02?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got another option installed in the rear console of my King Ranch. I have a Polk Momo 12 in a custom built box in that console powered by an MTX Thunder 81000d. Check out the pics in my gallery. It is very clean and hits quite hard.

Old 06-03-2002, 12:30 PM
i have a blackwood sub enclosure now (ordered last week). For those who have already done this, was the blackwood grille a seperate line item? I did not get a grille in the box... if it was, what was the part number?

thx!

Old 06-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Hey Ken...how do you like it?

Old 06-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Question part #'s

Hey guys, the info's been great on the sub & mine just came in, but I need the #'s for the grille & harness if anybody knows them. The dealer is having no luck finding the #'s & it doesn't do me anygood without them. Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:29 PM
I haven't put it in yet because I didn't get the grille with the enclosure. The other guy here got his w/the grille, so he was good to go. Since it is not that important to have the sub wide open, I may try drilling a bunch of 1/2" holes or something in the 10"x10" cover and then cover with some sort of speaker grille cover material...

will keep you posted. If anyone else has any bright ideas, let me know...

thanks!

Ken

Old 06-06-2002, 11:24 PM
REAL SUB WOOFERS

OK GUYS LETS GET BACK TO PUTTING SUBS IN THE REAR OF THE TRUCK 10"s 12"s. NOT SOME SMALL CUTE SUB IN A PLASTIC BOX. THE GUYS AT AUDIO CONCEPTS IN ANAHIEM CA. ARE INSTALLING TWO 12" SUBS IN MY 02. THIS IS BEING DONE WITH THE USE OF A CUSTOM FIBER GLASS SUB BOX. THEY HAVE BEEN KIND ENOUGH TO ALOW ME TO TAKE SOME PHOTOS OF THE PROJECT AS IT IS BEING DONE. I WILL BE POSTING THESE PHOTOS SOON.

Old 06-07-2002, 01:02 AM
so what are 2 12" subs and a custom fiberglass enclosure costing you? I paid 239 for the 8", enclousure, and built in amplifier... bolt it in and go.

Plus, what are you trying to accomplish? I enjoy my music for me. I am not competing nor do I give a sh it if my neighbors hear my thump. I just want to enjoy clean, clear music. The 8 will provide the bass needed to round out a decent system.

Old 06-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ken800
so what are 2 12" subs and a custom fiberglass enclosure costing you? I paid 239 for the 8", enclousure, and built in amplifier... bolt it in and go.

Plus, what are you trying to accomplish? I enjoy my music for me. I am not competing nor do I give a sh it if my neighbors hear my thump. I just want to enjoy clean, clear music. The 8 will provide the bass needed to round out a decent system.

You are thinking of the kids that want the base heard from outside the car.

I just sold it (and bought the '02 HD) but I had a '96 Thunderbird wtih two 12" Kicker Pro series Subs in a bandpass encloser firing at each other and wired in series. The amp powering the subs was a (true) 600 watt Precision Power. I had another 400 wats (Xtant) pushing a set (2 mids and 2 tweeters) of BA Pro's in the doors, and lastly, the 120 watts the head unit put out was piped into the stock Ford speakers in the rear for fill.

My point, even at the highest volume (which hurt the ears) it could not be heard "thumping" outside. You knew it was playing music, but that's it. 40 feet away you barely herad it.

It all depends on how it was set up. When I bought a new CD (or burned one) I would listen to it the first time in the car becuase my home stereo's acustics could not compete.

I too think that a single 8" from Ford, 'er Lincoln, is simply not enough. I want to hear what others have done to squeeze in something more.

/tg

Old 06-07-2002, 12:01 PM
I am a big fan of keepin the stock look and functionality if possible. You can cram a 12" sub in the rear console, but you lose the console... I will replace the stock sub with the highest quality 8 I can find... Cerwin Vega? JL Audio? Not sure yet. I have a V12 alpine amp to drive and diamond audio 6.5 seperates for the doors. I have a kenwood deck, but I will probably replace that unit with something newer.

I have had twin 12" orion subs/amps in cars before that would rattle your teeth if you wanted. I chose to go the route of as much bass as I can get without modifying my truck's interior this time. To each his own... I just don't see how you could get a couple of twelves behind the seats/under the seats. Maybe 10's.... I wish you the best of luck in your search...

Ken

Old 06-08-2002, 03:01 PM
AUDIO INSTALL PHOTOS

My gallery is up. Right now, there are only a few photos in it of the audio install. Unfortunately, we are starting at the front of the car and working our way back, so the sub photos are about two weeks away. This thread is getting completely off the original subject of installing a subwoofer in the rear of an '02.

I will probably post a different thread for an audio install upgrade at a later time, after I have more photos and the project is further along.

As for the cost of the install, it is looking like $10,000+. It is not about the amount of money being spent, it is about the quality of the system and getting work done that most people say can't be done. As for keeping costs down, around $239.00 for a sub and subbox, if that provides enough quality sound (bass) for you, thats great, it's not enough for me. It comes down to, as with anything else, you get what you pay for.

I hope the photos and documentations will help others in upgrading and modifying their audio systems.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1350

Old 07-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Question Blackwood Subwoofer

Did anyone ever get the part numbers for the Blackwood subwoofer grille and wiring harness?

Old 07-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Listening to what you guys have done, my set-up seems rather small. I went with a Kenwood 500 watt amp pushing Kenwood 200 watt door speakers, and a 400 watt Rockford pushing to 6.5 Rockford subs. It doesn't shatter the windows, but it sounds good.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Thumbs up

I just bought an 02' Harley f-150. I took out the rear console to make room for my sub from my old truck.(2001 supercrew) I have a Memphis LVS 12" sub. Check it out www.memphisaudio.com. It is a competion speaker. I do want to make a new box for it though. Something that looks totally custom. I know the audio systems in the supercrews pretty well. I have changed so much stuff on the first truck. Just let me know if you want to see some pics.

Old 07-22-2002, 12:20 PM
$15.00 sub box 8" or 10"

I made my own sub box cost about nothing.
fits in center fire wall.

this is a true custom build and uses every inch of space available for speaker use.

Also I was able to put in a JL 8" $89.00 which is much better and more compatible with my amp. than the Blackwood and Sounds great.

materials
1. particle board -
2. fiberglass cloth and resin- available any auto parts store
3. lining cloth -forget what it is called but it is very cheap
available at any wal-mart or fabric store. ask here you buy your speaker what it is called - avail in many colors
4. silicone - black paint - speaker wire

1. take out back console - need long extension to remove screws
2. remove rear fire wall cover
3. make a couple vertical pcs. cut out of cardboard at angles
4. trace to particle board and cut out
5. make a top piece to hold sides together & screw in - long strip
5. lay aluminum foil on back carpet and bottom carpet
6. place side pcs attached at top where they will go
7. lay in fiberglass between side pcs and put on resin
8. remove after dry about 20-30 min
9. re-coat with more resin - add cloth to inside with resin add more fiberglass if desired
10. cut out square for front of box put in hole for speaker
11. drill hole for wire and run wire thru
12. silicone all edges including wire hole
13. spray paint custom box if you want - the box can look rough as it never shows
14. cut hole in pop out piece in center behind rear console

I put in a 8" but a 10" will fit if you make a wider box
you need a larger amount of air to drive a 10" check mfg.

this was the first time i did any thing like this and it took about 4 hrs work. - there is plenty room to put in a 10"

I have 6 1/2 components in all 4 doors and an alpine amp
sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2002, 10:23 PM
L.V
From what i was told, the grille is part of the hole rear cover and can not be purchased separately. I cost list $230 or something. Now this is what i was told from a friend at a lincoln dealership. Could possibly be wrong.
Im still checking on the wiring thing???
How did you guys hook yours up to the stock radio??
Can you shed a little light???

Quick Reply: Anyone put a sub in an '02?