Harley-Davidson

Anyone put a sub in an '02?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey HarleyTC95...GOOD IDEA!!! I would like to know how a different sub sounds. So this Lincoln Blackwood, which cost around $250 includes the 8" sub and if so would it be possible to replace it with a different 8" sub and hook it up to an AMP. Does anyone know which sub is in the Blackwood enclosure? Sorry for all the questions...and I greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me...I was thinking about the JL Stealthbox, but thats alot of money to spend on one sub and I like BLWN_HD's setup but I don't think I have the patience and skill to do something custom like that. Thanks again!

In Shadow's words..."Ride Free!"

Old 05-17-2002, 10:53 AM
HarleyTC95,

I purchased the Blackwood subenclosure and I have a couple of questions:

1. Where did you purchase your wiring harness from ?
2. If you got it from Ford what is the part number ?
3. Do you know the pin out info for the connectors ?
4. Is there wiring available to hook up the speaker ?
5. Did you hook up the tweeter on the enclosure ?
6. What did you do with the cover behind the console ?
Leave it on
Replace it with speaker cloth

Thanks

Old 05-17-2002, 11:29 AM
GRY GHST

1. Where did you purchase your wiring harness from ?
Ford has one, as do car stereo installation shops. I am using a Panasonic DVD indash headunit with external amplifers. The installers and I used a volt meter and an existing harness we had to locate what wires went where. I should have made some notes when installing everything. I work at an electronics store so today I will see if the installers can diagram it for this board.

2. If you got it from Ford what is the part number ?

3. Do you know the pin out info for the connectors ?
I will ask my installer today what they were and hopefully post it tonight.

4. Is there wiring available to hook up the speaker ?
Yes, it is a ford/lincoln part for the blackwood

5. Did you hook up the tweeter on the enclosure ?

No, in looking at the wiring diagram, the best I can figure out is that it is used for the navigation system on the Blackwood.

6. What did you do with the cover behind the console ?

Blackwood grill cover for now, but my installers are making one with flames using foam and speaker cloth. Looks pretty cool. If you like send me your email address and I will try and send you some pictures.

Old 05-17-2002, 12:38 PM
HarleyTC95,

Thank you very much for the info, I have sent you a message with my email address. I am looking forward to seeing your install pictures.

Old 05-17-2002, 04:32 PM
I just need a few quick questions answered.

1. Does the Lincoln Blackwood enclosure include the 8" sub? If so which model?

2. Can I hook up an AMP to the enclosure and if so how much power (watts)?

3. Will this enclosure fit on '01 HD's?

4. Exactly what else do I need besides the sub enclosure? I will be purchasing an aftermarket head unit.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 05-17-2002, 08:39 PM
ricekicker,

I may be able to answer some of your questions about the Blackwood Sub Enclosure:

1. The enclosure comes with a 8" woofer. The woofer has twin voice coils and according to the back, each coil can handle 60W and are 1.2 Ohms each.

2. The enclosure also comes with it's own amplifier attached to it, with 4 wires going to the 8" woofer. I am still working on trying to determine the amplifier input pin configuration. I was hoping that HarleyTC95 would be able to help with this. There is no way to determine the power output of the amp, but is has dual output stages.

3. There is also a tweeter attached to the enclosure which is not wired to the amp.

4. The current woofer has a depth of ~3.75 inches from the bottom of the magnet to the bottom of the mounting brace which is somewhat shallow. I am sure that if you create some sort of mounting interface you could mount a different 8" speaker.

5. If you plan to use your current head unit you will need a line level converter to drive the input to the attached amplifier.

Other than that, the enclosure appears to fit directly behind the rear seat console and hides behind the rear facia.

Old 05-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Grey Ghost,

Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it.

60watts doesn't seem like much and what is this 1.2ohms. I have only seen speakers measured in 2ohms and 4ohms. This sub sounds like it would be pretty weak. What do you think? Maybe I should go to the local dealer and listen the sound in one of their blackwoods. (Are they at the dealers yet?)

Well...thanks again

Old 05-17-2002, 08:59 PM
ricekicker,

The speaker can actually handle 60 Watts per voice coil, and with two voice coils can handle 120 Watts total. That is why the attached amplifier has twin output stages, one per voice coil. As far as the rated resistance, thats what is written on the magnet.

If I cannot figure out the input pins on the amp, I will go ahead and replace the woofer with maybe a Rockford Fosgate 8" RFD-2208 and replace the amp with a JL Audio 250/1 amp. At least the JL Audio amp will have auto turn on/off and built in line level conversion.

The enclosure itself is a pretty nice unit, as it is custom fit to the back of the cab with no loss of actual usable space in the cab.

Old 05-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks Grey Ghost,

This sounds like a good plan. If we could fit an aftermarket 8" in there...it would probably sound a little better than the stock 8" - Gives us an update if you figure it out. Thanks again.

-Ricekicker

Old 05-19-2002, 11:44 AM
I finally was able to post some pictures to my profile under my home page listing. My installer informed me that the W. Blue wire is postive and the W. Grey wire is the negative input to the sub for external amp installation.https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1240

Old 05-20-2002, 04:33 AM
HarleyTC95...GREAT SET-UP!!!

How does the blackwood sub sound? Which AMP did you hook up to the sub? (Model) Also, where did you get all that custom stuff from? Thanks for all the helpful info.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:51 AM
ricekicker

Thank you. The stereo install and the hand made flame covers were made by a very talented Jerry Dela Rosa at Fry's Electronics. The pictures do not really do them justice. The sub is being driven by an older Kicker 1X702 amp that I had sitting in the garage. We did end up having to use a lot of Dynamat and extra carpet to eliminate rattles and make the bass hit a little harder. Once we had done that, it sounds way good. It isn't overwhelming bass that will annoy everyone around you, but I wasn't looking for that. I just wanted good bass extension for the classic rock, rock-a-billy type of music I enjoy. The system also has DTS/AC-3 for home/car theater DVD movies. It is able to give a nice punch to explosions and the like. Overall I would rate it a solid nine on a one to ten scale.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Dynamat sounds like a good idea. I am sorry for all the questions...but what is the RMS on this amp? I couldn't find any info. on that model # you supplied. I figured you bridged the (2) 70watt channels to the amp. Grey ghost stated that the sub could only handle 120watts. So are you running a risk??? Anyways, does anyone know what the stock amp that comes with the blackwood enclosure runs at? Also, would it be worth the money to purchase an aftermarket AMP to hook up to the enclosure. Again...I apoligize for all the questions...it's just I want to get everything straight before ordering the system.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:03 PM
wow!

Holy Sh*t batman! That is an awesome install. Is there any chance you might tell us what it cost to get that custom flame stuff done? Do you think he would do it again for others?

thx...

Old 05-28-2002, 04:46 PM
just ordered mine from teresa as well. 235.99. I guess I will start there as I don't want to sacrifice any space in my vehicle...

ken

thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Anyone put a sub in an '02?