Life as a Black Man

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by seacrow

They don't have it so bad, if they put as much effort in to being winners as they do being losers they'd have all they want and a little respect. I do have a couple that are very good friends and good hard workers. they aren't all bad.

that true man. It's like that here to. There's tons of crack heads on my street wandering around aimlessly asking for money so they can go get high or drunk again.

I don't know if anyone's familiar with Cincinnati, but in Over the Rhine (the poorest community downtown here where the riots happened last year) some black guys have these Lexus' on chorme twenties, but they live in a ***** hole and probably payed for the car with drug money. Then complain about being pulled over by the cops for 'driving while black' when the very things they own were paid for by dirty money and were probably breaking the law at the time.

Not all, but quite a few think they deserve everything just because of the color of their skin. And don't even get me started on affirmative action. What a bunch of BS. The way I see it is: If i'm a firefighter or cop, who do i want watching my back? The guy who scored highest on all his tests and is more qualified for the job, or the guy they hired because of his skin color so they could meet their quota?

Old 04-21-2002, 10:16 PM
seacrow: thanks for the info, seems the powers that be have decided that our little community would be a good place to have a homeless shelter. after 2 years of them being here we now have a sprawling community of them. i have recently seen the shoes over the wire around the neighborhood. guess we'll have to be watching for that now.

interesting story, the other day i pulled into the local gas station and there were three little hood boys(14-17) sitting on the concrete block at the end of one set of pumps. no one could use that pump because they were there. i pulled in and almost took off the legs of one of them. i got to the pump though. it was almost as if planned, after i pulled in 2 dodge trucks and 1 chevy pulled in. funny they(hood boys) decided to leave. funniest part is that white kids get run out of there immed. for loitering, guess the attendant was afraid of them. he thanked us as we payed for the gas.

Old 04-22-2002, 01:15 AM
As a generality to all races: Most everything going on today I blame on laziness. People are to lazy to responsibility for their actions and always look for the easy way out, which is pointing the finger at something else. People are to lazy to get out there and work their @ss of for what they want, instead they want easy money. When they don't succeed because they don't try hard enough, it's some kind of excuse.

This is an interesting email I recieved and applies pretty well to here:

Blacks don't read - THEY ARE STILL OUR SLAVES

We can continue to reap profits from the Blacks without the effort of physical slavery. Look at the current methods of containment that they use on themselves:

IGNORANCE, GREED, and SELFISHNESS.

Their IGNORANCE is the primary weapon of containment. A great man once said, "The best way to hide something from Black people is to put it in a book." We live now in the Information Age. They have gained the opportunity to read any book on any subject through the efforts of their fight for freedom, yet they refuse to read. There are numerous books readily available at Borders, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com, not to mention their own Black Bookstores that provide solid blueprints to reach economic equality (which should have been their fight all along), but few read consistently, if at all.

GREED is another powerful weapon of containment. Blacks, since the abolition of slavery, have had large amounts of money at their disposal. Last year they spent 10 billion dollars during christmas, out of their 450 billion dollars in total yearly income (2.22%). Any of us can use them as our target market, for any business venture we care to dream up, no matter how outlandish, they will buy into it. Being primarily a consumer people, they function totally by greed. They continually want more, with little thought for saving or investing. They would rather buy some new sneaker than invest in starting a business. Some even neglect their children to have the latest Tommy or FUBU. And they still think that having a Mercedes, and a big house gives the "Status" or that they have achieved the American Dream. They are fools! The vast majority of their people are still in poverty because their greed holds them back from collectively making
better communities. With the help of BET, and the rest of their Black media that often broadcasts destructive images into their own homes, we will continue to see huge profits like those of Tommy and Nike. (Tommy Hilfiger has even jeered them, saying he doesn't want their money, and look at
how the fools spend more with him than ever before!). They'll continue to show off to each other while we build solid communities with the profits from our businesses that we market to them.

SELFISHNESS, ingrained in their minds through slavery, is one of the major ways we can continue to contain them. One of their own, W.E.B. Dubois said that there was an innate division in their culture. A "Talented Tenth" he called it. He was correct in his deduction that there are segments of their culture that has achieved some "form" of success. However, that segment missed the fullness of his work. They didn't read that the "Talented Tenth" was then responsible to aid the Non-Talented Ninety Percent in achieving a better life. Instead, that segment has created another class, a Buppie class that looks down on their people or aids them in a condescending manner. They will never achieve what we have. Their selfishness does not allow them to be able to work together on any project or endeavor of substance. When they do get together, their selfishness lets their egos get in the way of the goal. Their so-called help organizations seem to only want to promote their name without making any real change in their community. They are content to sit in conferences and conventions in our hotels, and talk about what they will do, while they award plaques to the best speakers, not the best doers. Is there no end to their selfishness? They steadfastly refuse to see that "TOGETHER EACH ACHIEVES MORE (TEAM)! They do not understand that
they are no better than each other because of what they own. In fact, most of those Buppies are but one or two paychecks away from poverty. All of which is under the control of our pens in our offices and our boardrooms. Yes, we will continue to contain them as long as they refuse to read, continue to buy anything they want, and keep thinking they are "helping" their communities by paying dues to organizations which do little other than hold lavish conventions in our hotels.

By the way, don't worry about any of them reading this letter, remember, 'THEY DON'T READ!!!!'

(Prove them wrong. Please pass this on!)
[edit] I do not agree with this email 100%

Last edited by captainoblivious; 04-22-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:28 AM
captainoblivious

I too believe it's a problem closely related to the overall deterioration of work ethic and personal responsibility of the public at large...In my opinion it is evidence of the final stages of a democracy, the stage in which people realize they can vote themselves money from the treasury through enactment of laws....Well actually I guess descending into anarchy is the final stage, so let's say second-to-final....

Old 04-22-2002, 07:53 AM
cpadpl,

I bought all of my buildings at "fire sale" prices. I recently sold two duplexes and doubled what I paid for them three years ago.

All of the landlords in this area have bought F-150s. There are about ten of us that have them. When we meet in the hood on a corner, it looks like a rally. I will take pictures next time. The drug dealers hate it BIG Time! They tell us we must be selling crack, since we are the ones driving the nice trucks. It doesn't occur to them that we work our asses off for them.

Captain's e-mail is very very true. Blacks are victims of themselves in today's economy.

Wildchild, the biggest fear those hood boyz have is when you stare them right in the eyes. I used to be scared of them. NOt anymore. I walk right up to known crack thugs and say "Hey guys, the cops told me there are drug dealers hanging on my corner, since you guys are standing here anyway, could you please be on the lookout for crack losers and run them off for me?" they just walk away cussing me. They have no real response for what I say. As they leave, I say "have a nice day fellas"

I haven't seen any of them on any of my corners in at least six months. I don't even get calls from them to rent anymore. It looks as though I won. I have all good tenants now. It was the hardest work I have ever done. The bad news is it will probably happen again someday.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 AM
seacrow: glad to hear you've been able to clean up some of the heighborhood.
you're right about looking them in the eye. i learned that when i was in the army, and tested it when i lived in tampa. i drove through the hood every day to get to work. one day my car broke and i had to walk home, right through the middle of it. i just continued to make eye contact with everyone i came upon and had no problems. my landlord happened to be driving by and picked me up after i was 3/4 of the way through. he said i must be nuts for walking there. nah, just not going to let anyone intimidate me that badly.
just remember they like to intimidate folks with their loudness, one of the things that scares them the most is someone who remains quiet and in control.

Old 04-22-2002, 09:57 AM
One other thing, very true:

Seems like there is money to be made by preserving the notion that racism exists in America today to the extent it did prior to the 50's or 60's. Want to see racism? Go to damn near any other country in the world and I can almost guarantee you'll see more racism in one form or another than here.
Posted from this thread

Old 04-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by wildchild

you're right about looking them in the eye. i learned that when i was in the army, and tested it when i lived in tampa. i drove through the hood every day to get to work. one day my car broke and i had to walk home, right through the middle of it. i just continued to make eye contact with everyone i came upon and had no problems.
ha, i do the same thing. Except it doesn't matter if they're black or white, i still stare 'em down. I hate people who think they're hard asses.

Old 04-22-2002, 01:26 PM
Stupid is as stupid does

I've been watching this thread with great interest and just decided to throw in my .02.

I have to disagree with a lot of the sentiment that seems to directed specifically at blacks. Maybe I'm a little less biased having grown up in So Cal and spending a lot of time in the military but my main point is that every race has good and bad people.

I would argue that if a white man was awaken from a 20 year comma and the first thing he saw was the Jerry Springer Show (or Ricky Lake) He would have to beleive that this whole freakin country had gone straight to hell.

I learned in the military that ignorance does not discrimanate. I met some of the stupidest people in the Air Force and some of the smartest poeple and race was never a determining factor.

It is too easy to argue that becuase the bad neighboor hood in your town is the "bad" part of town, blacks are bad. If that was the case what is up with all the white kids now trying to act black. I finally got sick if hearing it on the radio and on TV, that we got rid of cable at our house. We are feeding our kids a ton of crap on a daily basis and on top of the bad content they have to see tons of crap marketed directly at them. Stuff they need to own to be cool.

The overselling of materialism and sex to our children will be the down fall of our society not the fact that we spend money on the walefare of the poor.

I'm not arguing that some people don't take atvantage of the system and that a lot of the so-called minority political leaders play into the whole victem mentality to maintain their positions in their community but to say that Blacks are still our Slaves is very wrong.

Our whole country is slaves to the media driven crush to have more and work less.

My son competes in chess tournaments and a coach of his once taught him that smart people use math to take money from dumb people. I thought about it and he was right. So I decided that other than my mortgage and my truck pament (0%) interest I would have no debt. All of the arguments that the captain made in his post can very easily made towards everyone who has bought more than they can afford and had to carry credit card debt. It all comes down to wanting more than we can afford or deserve.

Dumb come in all colors folks and as a great man once said.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 04-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Re: Stupid is as stupid does

Originally posted by Iwao
...All of the arguments that the captain made in his post can very easily made towards everyone who has bought more than they can afford and had to carry credit card debt. It all comes down to wanting more than we can afford or deserve....
Exactly, same way I feel, thats why I started my personal opinions with:
As a generality to all races:

The email I posted b/c it fit in with the conversation and has some truth to it, though for the record I don't agree 100% with that email.

It was either Ben Franklin or Albert Einstien that said "There are two things in this world that are infinite: the universe and stupid people, and I'm not sure about the earlier one." (something like that)

Old 04-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Uh, I think it was Ben Franklin, who also wanted our National Bird to be the Turkey rather than the bald eagle.

I think the exact quote went something like:

"I think our National bird should be the turkey and there certainly seems to be an infinite number of stupid people around here."

Old 04-22-2002, 05:27 PM
The selling of materialism(?) and sex will not be the downfall of our society.

There is only one thing that will bring the downfall of our
society. The disintegration of the family and morals will
be our downfall. Everything else you mention is merely
a result of a failure to teach values and morals by parents.

The liberal media, the greedy corporate heads, and other
people in power are not to blame. Their main motivation
is greed, just as it has been for every person in power
who eventually abused it. People in power have
been abusive since the beginning of time. That will never
cease. The person or corporation selling that violent game,
violent music, perverted television shows, or what-not is
not twisting anyones arm to buy their product. We as
parents have the ultimate responsibility of what our kids
have and don't have. Make no mistake about it, we as
parents are more to blame than the liberal media or greedy
corporation. I may not be able to control what my child
sees or buys outside my home, but I damn sure can
control what she does inside my home. She will know right
from wrong and she will have values. This world is full of
parents who let their kids run them. I see it everyday as
an educator. There are kids in our parking lot driving
$30,000 cars, kids with phones, pagers, video games,
and kids who exhibit a total lack of respect toward teachers
and their parents. Whose fault is that? It's certainly not the
fault of the media or big business. I see kids talk to their
parents like dogs everyday. Whose fault is that? Is it the
parent who lets them do it, or is it the fault of the media and
big business?

Old 04-22-2002, 06:57 PM
good reaction to wrong topic

Trapper I agree with you 100% concerning the lack of parental control I see from certain people. I also on a daily basis see some great exapmles of fantastic parenting. Again, maybe it's where I'm living.

You have to understand the I was reponding on this thread that said Blacks are still slaves and I argued that the same argument can be made of any ethnic group that has members that buy itno the whole "buy now pay later becuase I deserve to have all the nice things I see on TV even though I didn't EARN them"mentality.

That being said, parents who let their kids "run them" and buy them the 30K car on their 16 birthdays are doing the kids a diservice and the kids will suffer in the long run.

I guess I'm around enough kids on the teams I coach and in the neighboorhood I live in that are being raised to respect adults, respect hard work and are just basically great kids. I see a pretty bright future for most these kids.

But they are kids and they are exposed at a very young age to some very slick advertising aimed directly at them. Their was a FrontLine episode on PBS recently that had to do with what the large media conglomerates are doing to sell to our kids and I'll tell you if you saw this program it would have made you want to throw out you television set. I aplaud your efforts with your daughter I'm sure she'll turn out all right but just make sure you have a good response when she comes home from school one day wanting you to buy her the newest jeans and or the newest shoes or the t-shirt that cost 20.00 becuase all the rest of the girls have them.

The time will come my freind and you need to be ready.

Old 04-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Re: The selling of materialism(?) and sex will not be the downfall of our society.

trapper

I agree 100%. My personal opinion (that most consider wacko) is that the deterioration of family values is the most direct result of the Supreme Court of the United States of America. The damage the liberal judges of their day did is utterly astounding (talk about unelected officials legislating). I am from the school that disregards the constitutionality of the very existence of the Supreme Court in its capacity as judicial reviewer....Nice idea, may have worked when everyone who was everyone was around when the country was founded, but definitely not what the Founding Fathers expected or else they would have documented it as such....How would you guys feel if I appointed myself "soothsayer of the forums"...I just have a problem when someone appoints themselves overseer...little egomaniac'ish if you ask me.....but no one said anything at the time, as everyone around had a level head (I'm not really sure if it was 1800 or 1801, 1802....) I believe Washington was still alive though..

Old 04-22-2002, 09:56 PM
My bad, I focused in on a certain portion of what you said. I'm often guilty...

thread drift. That portion of what you said
just stuck with me because we hear it so
often from the "far right".

As for answering my daughter's question, I'll
say the same thing my dad told me when I
asked for something. "If you get a part-time
job, save your money and buy those shoes."

Oh, one more thing, if I want to have a
reason to throw out my television I don't
have to watch Frontline. One episode of
"Will and Grace" is more than enough!

Quick Reply: Life as a Black Man