Saying goodbye to my Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
The PO left me two when he moved to Florida.
Little did he know I'm out of here in November and ain't coming back till the snow is gone.

I was told my species is called a 'snowbird'.

Safe travels my friend!

Old 08-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I’m sitting in my living room, having a nice cup of coffee (decaf by doctor’s orders), awaiting the start of Face The Nation, and icing my back (because getting old isn’t easy - they don’t tell you that when you’re young but let me tell you if you’re not aware - getting old isn’t for the meek). For some reason, while catching up on world events via the interclouds (it’s a series of tubes) and shaking my head over this week’s statements/tweets/and general lack of coherent rhetoric by the Clownmander In Chief, I suddenly thought “Hey, I wonder if Raoul is still alive, and if he is does he still post on F150 online?” so I came here, for the first time since the late 60s, and sure enough, there he was! (You old goat … herder).

I can understand the purchase of a vehicle that is most appropriate to the environment you’re in. Or rather, I can sort of understand it. I vacillate between appropriate vehicles and totally inappropriate vehicles as they relate to where I happen to be living in. This is made all the more chaotic in that I bore easily and purchase a different make and manufacturer with each new car I buy because I like change.

When I had the SVT Lightning it was great for driving thru the canyons of Malibu and Los Angeles and, for those few times there were open freeways to go as fast as I could get away with. But Los Angeles is pure traffic, and sitting in it ceaselessly is how you spend most of your time behind the wheel, so it was comfortable car time and I bought the Lexus LS.

Perfect for L.A. Then came the move to the Great American Outback, where it was more dirt and gravel roads than paved roads as well as snow. Not a good place for the Lexus where it got stuck in snow drifts a few times, and could barely make it up my inclined driveway in the wintery conditions so I got an Xterra

which was hands down an amazing vehicle in terms of where it could go (anywhere) and in what conditions it could go there (any conditions). It made an amazing difference in terms of being able to get anywhere you wanted to go, whether there were roads or not and whether there was snow or mud or not. So I think you made the right call going with the 4x4 Dodge (just have a lot of sandbags to add weight to the bed when it’s snow time).

As for the German v. Italian v. “international”, I’m biased toward German. In fact, you won’t believe what I’m driving now. After 5 years of Xterra I got bored and wanted a sports car this time. The middle of nowhere is no place for a Porsche so I decided to get something I wouldn’t mind being exposed to the elements and not so perfect roads. So I got this! Talk about inappropriate for snow conditions!

Now let me say that on the FUN SCALE, it ranks a 10. I’ve owned a lot of different cars in my life (which nowadays is a long time) and this little pocket rocket never fails to please. I got it back in Sept. of 2015 and was told that the Front Wheel Drive would be more than adequate for the snow we get here. Well, two years later and I’m still waiting to find out because we’ve had had almost none … a few instances of dusting that lasted a day but that’s it. So, I’m still waiting for snow but I’m sure (fingers crossed) it will handle it fine. So if you have the Deutsche Dodge, then good for you. I’m sure it will do you fine. And, if NH is like the rest of the country these days and experiencing weather totally inconsistent with the "norm", then you may not see any snow at all (or at least much less than what is considered normal).

Glad to see you’re still around Raoul. Take care up on the border of the Great White North, eh.

ETA: Hey, I just found this and you might be interested in item #2.
http://www.movoto.com/guide/nh/moving-to-new-hampshire/
Cheers!

Last edited by kobiashi; 08-13-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
blah blah blah
Originally Posted by PawPaw

Safe travels my friend!
x2

and good luck with the checks

Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kobiashi
I suddenly thought “Hey, I wonder if Raoul is still alive, and if he is does he still post on F150 online?” so I came here, for the first time since the late 60s, and sure enough, there he was! (You old goat … herder).

Glad to see you’re still around Raoul. Take care up on the border of the Great White North, eh.
Holy smokes! That's a name I haven't seen in a long time!

Old 04-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Wow... thread from the past.

Was searching around for some of the old guys and ran across this one. Hadn't realized Raoul left the fold three years ago. I see you stuck to a "normal cab" though.

I have been gone for a long while and in my Toyota truck phase. Just recently got back into a Ford.

Hope all are well and keep sheltering!

Last edited by cphilip; 04-12-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Did my first winter in NH. Big difference from VA, had to adjust expectations on the weather.
The thermometer only goes to 70, above that just says Hot.
Up here in the sixties is great.
In the fifties I'm happy.
In the forties I'm grumpy.
In the thirties I'm on Zillow.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:16 PM
Well... shame your going to miss out on the tornados tomorrow. I don't know what I hate more... you getting rid of the F150 or you becoming a yankee...

That reminds me... I got a worthless no good sister up there in NH... I think...

Happy easter to you Raoul. Miss your witty presence. Glad to see your checking in.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
My wife is the yankee.
I just sit back in the corner taking notes,
which I plan to smuggle to General Lee.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
My old Ford got a Jasper and does landscaping in Va Beach.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:24 PM
My old Ford got a Jasper and does landscaping in Va Beach.

Robert E would be proud to know.

Does he know how famous that truck is?

Old 04-12-2020, 10:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Old 04-13-2020, 09:25 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Hot damn! Last year I saw Habibi come back to the forum for a short stay, now Raoul and Kobi.....

Will wonders ever cease?

*Here is where I'd laugh out loud, but I can seem to find my mask.*

Old 11-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Old truckers never die.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:00 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by Pickup Man
Old truckers never die.
Came close, triple by-pass a while back.
My surgeon named four things that 'could' go wrong and said there was a 1% chance of each.
So, I said I got 96% then chance right?
He said, "No! You don't add them together. You have a 99% chance."

I thought he was crazy but, I read now he's counting mail-in ballots so what do I know.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Came close, triple by-pass a while back.
My surgeon named four things that 'could' go wrong and said there was a 1% chance of each.
So, I said I got 96% then chance right?
He said, "No! You don't add them together. You have a 99% chance."

I thought he was crazy but, I read now he's counting mail-in ballots so what do I know.
Yeah, I suspect he failed math in school. Glad you survived! I picked up 3 stents a year ago, 2 of them in one of the arteries, main artery and one in a branch, and one in another main. Haven't eaten enough hot dogs to need one in the third artery. Getting old sucks! How's that Dodge treating you? Are you ready to get back into a Ford? I keep looking at those new RAMs but I'm too cheap to write the big check. My old F150 will probably still be running when I'm not with only 164k miles on it and 76 hard years on me.

Quick Reply: Saying goodbye to my Ford