Blown engine! Dealer forgot to add oil!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
Read the OP, he said the light just came on after he noticed smoke in the rear view mirror.
I Did read that. And he Did stop. Had he kept on driving and completely destroyed the engine would have caused them to point the finger at him.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Don't settle, the dealership should be bending over backwords to make you happy under normal circumstances, and should be willing to do anything at this point to get you to be happy and not sue them.

If you're gonna have to dig out a lawsuit, you can also ask for loss of time, rental coverages, etc

Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SafetyDaveG
Where there's smoke, there's damage. However if you can capture the smoke & send it back up the tailpipe, then your car will be as good as new.
LMFAO

i would put it all on paper while its in your mind, talk to the dealer about a crate motor, then if they deny the replacement you go talk to a lawyer and get your stuff fixed.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep pressing the issue. There is no telling what kind of damage has been cause to the internals of that engine.

If they can get you to take the car back without pressing the issue then they get away with not having to take responsibility for their screw up. Guess it makes sense if you really arent interested in providing good customer service. Do not sign anything before you are fully satisfied. Sometimes even the threat of getting an attorney involved can get them to see things your way.

It is sad to see dealers that act like this. I have worked for a few dealerships and it seems most of them have some pretty underhanded practices. There are a few that will step up to the plate and really take care of the customer, but these days i think they are few and far between.

Just be firm and unrelenting and I think you will get what you want.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 PM
If it's good as new, ask how much they will give you on a trade-in.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Hmmmm......

I hope they make right by this if it's their fault.

Now I'm not siding on the dealer but I've never seen a oil pressure or level light not come on when there was no oil in the car. I've seen them on with good oil pressure with indicates a bad sensor but something doesn't add up.

If they didn't put oil in it the light would have been on when the tech started it up after the oil change. Now I can see if the filter was double gasketed it would spray all the oil out everywhere. But the light would come on before MAJOR damage was done. To me it looks like one of 2 things.

Either a loose drain plug that fell out or a loose or double gasketed filter. Should of checked underneith the car to check and see if the whole undernieth was coated with oil. The you would know if I was a plug or a filter issue. If it all came out the pipe than it was a major mechanical problem with the motor in which it would be running normally now with just adding oil.

I had this happen to a friend that owned a jeep. Brought it in for an oil change and the dealer didn't tighten the plug tight enough and siezed the engine. The dealer said he should have checked the plug himself and maybe it wouldn't have happened :e ek: I said WHAT you have to check it after you went for service. Long story short is they finally took care of it after he got a lawyer involved..

Good luck with whatever happens. AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING..

James

Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lees99f150
A rebuilt or extensive repaired engine has a 20% reduction in life expectancy compared to a factory new engine.
What side of your brain did you pull this magical number from? I've got a rebuilt engine with more miles than most people have on their trucks, period.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how much of the factory warranty is left?
If i read right it is 60 months or 60,000 miles. so you have 54,000 miles of warranty to figue out if it is going to last. i agree it stinks but you are covered for the next 4 years or 54,000 miles.

I would ask for them to provide an extended warranty, first for free, if no luck ask for a discount, you know they have a big mark-up on them.

the problem is proving that damage was done, the only way that is going to happen is if the motor is pulled and every part inspected. I would guess the burden of proof is on you and the factory guidelines for what is exceptable are probably pretty loose.

if it was me i would drive it until the factory warranty is about to run out and then I would trade it in.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Problem is the factory doesn't cover being run low on oil. If there is future damage and it is determined that it was due to low oil the monkey is on the OP's back. If the dealer won't step up now chances are real good they won't do so in the future either.

Stick to your guns and push for a new motor. You can also go above the dealer and take it to the corporate level. I'm sure Toyota (it was Toyota, right?) doesn't need the dealer giving them a bad rep.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That engine just lost 100K miles of its natural born life! This happened to me only I was driving a new Police Car that had its 1st service done at a Ford Dealership! It seized in the next town over heading back. Ford had to spring for a new motor!

Last edited by risupercrewman; 10-31-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wonder what happened?

Quick Reply: Blown engine! Dealer forgot to add oil!