Thinking of the 'New' iPad? Not so fast ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
I have the IPHONE 4 that apple is not allowing me to unlock but I hear the IPHONE 5 will be unlockable....So they are wanting me to buy another phone..... Pure craziness...
Can you go into a little more detail about this unlockable thing? What does this mean exactly, and how does it effect your experience with the iphone?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the Doctors I've been dealing with now carry iPads instead of all the paper charts.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
it amazes me how many people just open their wallets as soon as Apple announces a new product.

Me personally if im spending several hundred dollars I read reviews, study the products and make an informed decision based on needs, cost, and device capabilities.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by High-ster
Most of the Doctors I've been dealing with now carry iPads instead of all the paper charts.
Most of the doctors I deal with use Panasonic H2's. i5 processor, lotsa DDR3 Ram, SSD, BT EDR, armoured multitouch screen, RFID stylus with no-touch features, fingerprint reader, Wifi, Gobi Cellular modem, barcode scanner, smartcard slot, Sim card slot, camera/vidya with LED fill light, RFID reader, dual hot-swappable Li-ion batteries. Win 7/64 bit Professional. The Swiss Army knife of mobile pc's.

Hot tub and beer-proof IP-68 chassis - ask me how I know

A real 'puter

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-18-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: sp, lol
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
Can you go into a little more detail about this unlockable thing? What does this mean exactly, and how does it effect your experience with the iphone?
I travel to other countries alot so having an unlocked phone allows me to use the same phone and change out the sim card. My old iphone 3gs was unlocked and I used it everywhere... This new one is a headache... If you don't travel and you only use 1 service provider then you'd never need to unlock your phone...

Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Ah. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
I travel to other countries alot so having an unlocked phone allows me to use the same phone and change out the sim card. My old iphone 3gs was unlocked and I used it everywhere... This new one is a headache... If you don't travel and you only use 1 service provider then you'd never need to unlock your phone...
I do this too when I travel but remember, the new iPhones use the micro-SIM. Most of the prepaid plans I have seen only use the full size SIM. This might be a problem.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I do this too when I travel but remember, the new iPhones use the micro-SIM. Most of the prepaid plans I have seen only use the full size SIM. This might be a problem.
They've already compensated for this... They have sim cutters that will cut the larger sim down to a size that fits in the new phone and it comes with adapters that you can pop your freshly cut sim into and place it back into another phone as a full size sim.....

Just wish they'd unlock it... I may end up selling it and going back with a 3GS...

Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Isn't that just a synched network?
You can do it that way, but the one I used was a custom made software that joined a whole bunch of stuff that usually takes up a whole job trailer worth of paper, into one package. It had way to many features for me to even learn, let alone post in one comment.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Most of the doctors I deal with use Panasonic H2's. i5 processor, lotsa DDR3 Ram, SSD, BT EDR, armoured multitouch screen, RFID stylus with no-touch features, fingerprint reader, Wifi, Gobi Cellular modem, barcode scanner, smartcard slot, Sim card slot, camera/vidya with LED fill light, RFID reader, dual hot-swappable Li-ion batteries. Win 7/64 bit Professional. The Swiss Army knife of mobile pc's.

Hot tub and beer-proof IP-68 chassis - ask me how I know

A real 'puter

MGD

Doesn't appear that would fit inside the upper breast pocket of of a lab coat!!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by High-ster
Doesn't appear that would fit inside the upper breast pocket of of a lab coat!!

My lab coat upper breast pocket can only hold my pocket protector, lol.

Nope - but it's got a real nice handle, and a hand-retention sling on the back, weighs next to nothing thanks to an alloy chassis. And the medical models have a coating that is impervious to harsh disinfectants, so blood, puke, poop, pee, or worse, will wash right off. Drop it from 3 feet and it still works.

Try that with an iPad

Those hot-swap batteries allow 24/7 mobile active operation - another plus - especially for interns.

The docks have a full complement of I/O ports and can hold / charge 2 extra batteries.

Forgot to mention - the screen is daylight / high-noon readable, and is larger than an iPad.

Dang! Shoulda been a salesman - LMAO !

They all love 'em. One guy said it makes his iPoo seem like an Etch-A-Sketch in comparison.

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-18-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Everyone loves to hate Apple.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop it from 3 feet and it still works.

Try that with an iPad
Maybe the iPad people just aren't as clumsy. If my Dr. walked in with one of those "bullet proof" Panasonics I'd begin to worry.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
Everyone loves to hate Apple.
Jealousy has a way of doing that. I have my serious doubts Apple loses any sleep over the haters. After all, they're stuck with PC's.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by code58
Maybe the iPad people just aren't as clumsy. If my Dr. walked in with one of those "bullet proof" Panasonics I'd begin to worry.
Define 'clumsy' ... These same izombies are the one's runnin' into me in the halls! And they occasionally drop their iPoo's doing it. One fell down the stairs recently while self-absorbed in his iTampex

My doc uses one - after my recommendation. Ditched his iToy. Our entire medical staff is now hooked as well. The right tool for the job; you don't entrust something this crucial to a cheap consumer-grade toy. Yep - we've got the smart ones, aight.

Someone else got the bottom 10% of the medical school graduatin' class. Po' dumb pookers

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of the 'New' iPad? Not so fast ...