Thinking of the 'New' iPad? Not so fast ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Droid infuse does enough for me. Why someone would want to pay for everything just blows my mind... But its their money I'll stick with the free stuff!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Define 'clumsy' ... These same izombies are the one's runnin' into me in the halls! And they occasionally drop their iPoo's doing it. One fell down the stairs recently while self-absorbed in his iTampex

My doc uses one - after my recommendation. Ditched his iToy. Our entire medical staff is now hooked as well. The right tool for the job; you don't entrust something this crucial to a cheap consumer-grade toy. Yep - we've got the smart ones, aight.

Someone else got the bottom 10% of the medical school graduatin' class. Po' dumb pookers

haha.. can't walk and talk at the same time. When I talk to my Doctor, he'd better not be holding court with a hand held device. If you can't drive using them without having the concentration of a drunk, I surely don't want him diagnosing my medical treatment while playing Words with Friends.
Gimme a Doc with a stethoscope around his neck and a thermometer in his breast pocket, I'll take my chances!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Define 'clumsy' ... These same izombies are the one's runnin' into me in the halls! And they occasionally drop their iPoo's doing it. One fell down the stairs recently while self-absorbed in his iTampex

My doc uses one - after my recommendation. Ditched his iToy. Our entire medical staff is now hooked as well. The right tool for the job; you don't entrust something this crucial to a cheap consumer-grade toy. Yep - we've got the smart ones, aight.

Someone else got the bottom 10% of the medical school graduatin' class. Po' dumb pookers
I think too many people try to convince themselves that the iPad is really a tool, but like you said, it's only a toy. It has business apps, and I have on that I CAN use to do work (secure RDP remote server app to access our hosted remote desktop), it's easier to use a computer.

The iPad's best uses are browsing the net, playing around on youtube, checking fb, and playing music and games. If they really want to turn it into a "tool", they need to get the Microsoft Office suite.

I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means, but I do have ipods and ipads and I actually like itunes.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
I think too many people try to convince themselves that the iPad is really a tool, but like you said, it's only a toy. It has business apps, and I have on that I CAN use to do work (secure RDP remote server app to access our hosted remote desktop), it's easier to use a computer.

The iPad's best uses are browsing the net, playing around on youtube, checking fb, and playing music and games. If they really want to turn it into a "tool", they need to get the Microsoft Office suite.

I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means, but I do have ipods and ipads and I actually like itunes.
Roger that, bud. Nicely put . Thanks!

MGD

Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by avfrog
This makes me weary of my iphone 5 idea...
It all depends on what you want out of your toys, really. Need has very little to do with these types of decisions. Most people's needs would be met just fine with a regular ol' cell phone that doesn't even take pitchers (nods at MGDfan ).

When the time comes, I wont be changing to the iPhone 5 because I need it. If the new features, etc, justify whatever added expense there is associated with owning said device, I'll get it. If not, I'll keep what I have.

I will say that the only time I really need a computer as a tool is at work, and I use a PC at work. The rest of the time, I use my phone for browsing, email, games, etc because it works just fine for those purposes, and it's handy.

*NOTE: I am NOT your typical Apple crony. You'll never see me waiting in any line for the 'latest and greatest'. I don't refresh the computer (or iPhone) every five seconds to see when the latest product will be released. And you'll NEVER see me texting while walking around...oblivious to my surroundings. In fact, I quite relish the chance to 'encounter' a millennial in the latter-mentioned act.

Originally Posted by Patman
it amazes me how many people just open their wallets as soon as Apple announces a new product.

Me personally if im spending several hundred dollars I read reviews, study the products and make an informed decision based on needs, cost, and device capabilities.
That amazes me too, and I make my decisions based upon all the criteria you mentioned.

Most of the doctors I deal with use Panasonic H2's. i5 processor, lotsa DDR3 Ram, SSD, BT EDR, armoured multitouch screen, RFID stylus with no-touch features, fingerprint reader, Wifi, Gobi Cellular modem, barcode scanner, smartcard slot, Sim card slot, camera/vidya with LED fill light, RFID reader, dual hot-swappable Li-ion batteries. Win 7/64 bit Professional. The Swiss Army knife of mobile pc's.
'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.'

Hot tub and beer-proof IP-68 chassis - ask me how I know
Okie dokie. How d'ya know?

Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
Everyone loves to hate Apple.
Not everyone. Some of us are indifferent. If I see someone else come out with a device that addresses my wants and needs and makes sense within my budget, I'm going that route. So far, the iPhone has been doing that for me.

Yep - we've got the smart ones, aight.

Unfortunately, all too true. But hell, fellers...they ain't nuthin' wrong with arrr healthy-keer sys'm!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
^^^ LMAO!

How TF didja know what's in my kit ???

As fer the hot-tub and beer resiliency certification ... field testing! Part o' the job Iff'n it survives ol' Bubba's ministrations, it'll survive anythang

Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

The DewserB sees all! Nah...just a hunch, I guess.

Then sign me up fer one-a them thar fayncy Panersony jobbies! If'n theys goodernuff fer ol' Bubba, theys goodernuff fer me!

And who YOU callin' 'redneck'?!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you call that Lock-step or Goose-step? Sounds to me like your "Brightest and Best" aren't able to think for themselves or they would have figured out what was the best without someone else having to tell them.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by code58
Do you call that Lock-step or Goose-step? Sounds to me like your "Brightest and Best" aren't able to think for themselves or they would have figured out what was the best without someone else having to tell them.
Yer tryin', but yer comin' up empty. Better get 'Brew to hep ya

Seriously - They're free to use whatever they prefer - and they prefer these, by a very large margin. The tech just needs to be compliant with our corporate infrastructure (both are)

No coercion. Their focus is on the mission, not the tech.

What are we (not) arguing about again?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Better get 'Brew to hep ya
Hey, no farming me out. You can't afford it.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Hey, no farming me out. You can't afford it.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

No way would I buy a Apple product.
My wife "had" to have a Ipod.

Well she got one, and she now hates it. I tried to tell her but at least she got a good deal on it.
It was NIB (less than a month old) for $100 with the receipt.

When she compared it to her friends zune (I tried getting her to buy a zune) it was pretty disappointing.

Not only do I loathe Itunes, my wife is starting to hate it as well, as its locked to a single pc.
When I got her a new laptop we had to transfer all the music over from the old laptop to the new because "lol Ipod can only be synced to one music library".

The Macbook pros here at work blow chucks, until we put windows 7 on them.

I firmly think that anyone who buys a Apple product had not done the research or compared them to other similar products that cost less and do the same (or more).
Or the "have to have it" because its a Apple product.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM
This just in: IPoo3 is HOT - literally , lol!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...est=latestnews

LMAO !!!

Can anyone say "rush-to-market?

BTW - Don't fergit to pick up the asbestos britches from the iStore while yer at it. Nice embroidered Apple logo on 'em I hear.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Carrying a laptop around for the things I need was overkill. I love my XOOM.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I still find it funny that non-Apple users are constantly berating and belittling Apple products. It's quite rare you get an apple user who talks bad about other company's products, unprovoked.

I think they make excellent products that are easy to use and their customer service (for me) has been outstanding!

I had the power button break on my iPhone4 a while back, brought it into the store to see what they could do. Even though I was literally 1 day out of warranty, they swapped me out for a new phone right then and there, at no charge. That phone had a factory defect that caused the screen to do some funny things now and again, so I brought it back a few days later and again, free of charge, I walked out of the store with a brand new phone. I've heard many stories about other phones breaking and people being without them while they shipped the phone somewhere for repair/replacement.

Sure, there are more powerful, business oriented machines out there, but that's not Apple's target audience right now. Even though, the engineering firm I work for uses iPhones and iPads. We have an Android tablet, but our programs don't run as well on it as the do on the iPad, I don't know enough about the technical side to know why that is.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 03-22-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of the 'New' iPad? Not so fast ...