Econoline coming to an end

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
Btw. I wonder if we can get one with those awesome racing stripes and wheels!
That's the CBU (Crap's Backed Up) edition for the plumber that has to get there FAST!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha i work for a plumber part time. Thats great!!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Frank S
Government mandated MPG standards are the reason why the E series is ending. Don't be angry with Ford.
Doesn't look like they've been trying that hard as it only has a four speed auto available in the e150.

Of course I'm sure either the e or the transit is like pushing a brick through jello at highway speeds.

Wonder what all the people movers will end up using, most of the church vans & all the van pools seem to use them.

My grandfather always had an e-series van. First one I can remember was a 72, and the last one was an 86.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by kp02-150
...Wonder what all the people movers will end up using, most of the church vans & all the van pools seem to use them.
There are versions that have seats in Europe too. Ford UK. Available in 9,12,15 and 17 passenger versions. The maximum capacity in the US without a CDL is 15.

Here is the Ford UK commercial vehicle site.

Ford is replacing an out of date product with a proven design that is used all over the rest of the world. The Transit line is miles ahead of the old E series for features and modern innovations.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow thats stupid. In the business I'm in ford full size vans rule. Most fleet delivery companies use them because they are so reliable. The carpet cleaning industry that I'm part of loves them. This is a move Ford will regret.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Hope you are not confusing the Transit Connect with the Transit. They are 2 different models, with the transit being the larger. The transit has been the top selling van in Europe for 40 years.

I will say they have had some really ugly models in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit
Originally Posted by wittom
The Transit is a full size van that will be offered in more than one wheel base. I think that it will compete nicely with the Sprinter and the new Nissan.

Oh, sorry I didn't realize there was 2 different Transits. I was thinking of the Connect. :o

Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I see the Mercedes and Dodge Sprinters everywhere.

While the E-series is the clear choice of many, this change was long overdue and I think it is a much needed change. This is the new future of vans. Very few conversion sales anymore. It's all commercial from what I see. I like the Transit, neat looking, modern and finally a revision!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by kp02-150
Doesn't look like they've been trying that hard as it only has a four speed auto available in the e150.

Of course I'm sure either the e or the transit is like pushing a brick through jello at highway speeds.

Wonder what all the people movers will end up using, most of the church vans & all the van pools seem to use them.

My grandfather always had an e-series van. First one I can remember was a 72, and the last one was an 86.
Even if it had a 5 or 6 speed auto., you're still only going to get maybe 1 mpg more highway. That 4 speed auto is for durability.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
There are versions that have seats in Europe too. Ford UK. Available in 9,12,15 and 17 passenger versions. The maximum capacity in the US without a CDL is 15.

Here is the Ford UK commercial vehicle site.

Ford is replacing an out of date product with a proven design that is used all over the rest of the world. The Transit line is miles ahead of the old E series for features and modern innovations.
100% correct. The Transit is a better product that gets better mileage. It's a win-win. I think a lot of people are thinking of the smaller "Transit Connect" that is basically a PT cruiser with a taller roof.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
actually, reading the article I think the plan is for the transit to replace the E150.. They are saying the heavy duty versions of the E series will remain in production until atleast the end of the decade.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 Pass. with a 2.4 diesel engine??? I know they are making advances in engine performance but that to me is ridiculous. What'll that do with 17 people in there???, 0 to 60 in 3 days??? Sorry to those who think that thing is beautiful, it looks like a semi-abortion that GM and Chrysler got together and created. Slab sided copied right of those beautiful Chebby and GMC vans. There'll be a lot of 'em on the road because they're Ford, but NOT because they're beautiful!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
100% correct. The Transit is a better product that gets better mileage. It's a win-win. I think a lot of people are thinking of the smaller "Transit Connect" that is basically a PT cruiser with a taller roof.
And made in Turkey to boot! Isn't that where they ride their burro to work to build the Transit Connect van? Couldn't Ford at least have it built in a country where they actually drive cars to work, maybe a little more advanced than "Burro land"? What happens if their burro is sick that day? Not come to work?

Last edited by code58; 12-11-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
Wow thats stupid. . This is a move Ford will regret.
I've got to dissagree. In our company, we have had only E series vans for the past 18 years. They are good, durable vans but there has always been room for improvement. Imagine if the F150 was the same today as it was in '92. I'm glad the they've improved the F150 over they years and as someone who will be purchasing vans in the future, am glad that Ford is improving their van. I look forward to their new offering and believe that many of the plumbers, electricians, carpenters, floor installers, cargo movers, ambulance companies, ect., ect., that I see every day will be looking forward as well.

Originally Posted by code58
There'll be a lot of 'em on the road because they're Ford, but NOT because they're beautiful!
I agree with you, but the current van isn't exactly a beauty queen. Especially since they put the snub nose look on it. Vans just aren't attractive vehicles. Although being a plumber I wouldn't mind Wookies CBU (Crap's Backed Up) edition.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
17 Pass. with a 2.4 diesel engine???
We will never see the 17 passenger version or the 2.4 diesel here.

And made in Turkey to boot!
I'd rather it be assembled there than in China.......

Old 12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by code58
17 Pass. with a 2.4 diesel engine??? I know they are making advances in engine performance but that to me is ridiculous. What'll that do with 17 people in there???, 0 to 60 in 3 days???
A quick check showed the average fuel price in the UK to be 141.16p/L. This works out to right at $8.50/gal. The cars over there are geared differently so they still can move out of their own way but most won't set the street on fire. They are also taxed based on CO2 emissions and displacement. In most countries anything over 3.0L gets taxes at a much higher rate. For these reasons most people are willing to give up performance for economy. I expect the US versions to have the powertrains modified to be more in line with the wants of people over here.

Quick Reply: Econoline coming to an end