My Dog Died Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Dog Died Today

My little Mikey died today, they all went outside for a bit, then when they came in, Mikey went into his crate and took a nap, poor guy never woke up.

My wife found him a few hours ago and came running downstairs to get me. I was pretty cool and collected until I dropped him off at the vet's to get cremated, and then when I got in my truck alone, I started bawling like a little girl.

The good news is, if there's ever a good way to die, Mikey chose the best way, surrounded by his other furry friends, and people who loved him.
The old guy was 15 years old, almost blind and nearly deaf but he was still my little buddy and I loved him to pieces.

He had several niknames over the years, mostly Mike the garbage picker & peabody.

I know he had a good life and he was well loved but I am still pretty choked up as I write this.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear that Habs. That's what I hate about pets you get so attatched to them then they die. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to do that with my dog, I don't think I could keep myself from bawling like a little girl.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm truely sorry Habs. He lived a good life and yes, that is the way to go. Easy on him and you did not have to make the decision. I have always, selfishly waited too long. I dread the day when it's Maggie's time.

Again, I feel your loss.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Since we tend to outlive them, we have to accept that sad fact in exchange for the joy they bring into our lives. I'm sorry for you Habs, I've been there several times and it never gets any easier.

- Jack

Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
hang in there, time heals. It takes a while. I still get teary when i go see where we buried my "puppy" and its been 2.5 years since we put her down

Old 12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man sorry to hear about your loss. It is tough when a dog dies. They are part of your life for so long that they become like a family member. At least he went in a peaceful manner.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog, Habs. When I was a child, we had a ****apoo that looked similar to your dog.

My great grandfather died in his sleep. When death comes, it is a blessing to go that way.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear about Mikey. I know my Buddy is on borrowed time. He should have been gone 5 years ago, but is still thinking he just a puppy even at 10 years old.
It's hard to lose a good friend and companion. I have no idea how I'll handle it. Probably the same way I did when we buried 2 16 year old cats.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear that, its been 4 years since my dad put our German Sheppard down that we had for 12 years. it is tough, hang in there

Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Habs, sorry to hear about Mikey. I can't remember if he was the one with the devilish eyes in the picture surrounded by his comrades.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 PM
My condolences Habs, losing a pet is hard stuff. I lost my first dog to cancer (Golden Retriever) when I was 20. I cried like a little girl too. I am not looking forward to the day that my parents Golden Retriever or my Yellow Lab passes, shes 6 so hopefully it won't be for a long time.

Here is a poem that I ran across on the internet:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Habs -

Sorry to hear.

Hang in there dude.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
So sorry to hear Habs.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Our pets are members of our family. It's sad when they leave us.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Habs,

Sorry to hear about this, but as Bluejay posted, at least you did not have to make the decision at the correct time.

Quick Reply: My Dog Died Today