DirecTV

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirecTV

DirecTV -

I have been a customer since day one, with only a couple of interruptions when places that I lived were hard wired for cable and other options were not available.

I have always been happy with their service and recommended them to others whenever the subject of 'should I get cable or satellite?' came up.

Everything with them was always great.

Until I cancelled the service because I have decided to stop watching TV - or at least paying for it (I watch a handful of episodic online now) (that's been going on now for three months and I highly recommend it, by the way).

Anyway, once I cancelled, the proverbial stuff hit the fan and, in my opinion, the true nature of the way they conduct themselves in business was shown which has resulted in a number of unpleasant exchanges.

I'll leave it at that. (This of course is my opinion. I make no specific accusations, nor are any implied).

I'll just say this. If you must have some sort of pay television service, you may want to consider other options.

I'll also recommend that you give up pay television services altogether and watch your shows online via the networks web sites, or use OTA if it is available to you.

(And if you are so addicted to sports that you must have some subscription service, may I suggest you look up the concept of living vicariously, and get past that.)

Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 AM
So....they're basically ****s when it comes to cancelling, and harass you for the rest of forever about renewing the contract?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Anyway, once I cancelled, the proverbial stuff hit the fan and, in my opinion, the true nature of the way they conduct themselves in business was shown which has resulted in a number of unpleasant exchanges.
So what happened?
Did they send muscle to your house trying to strong-arm you? Did they wear trench coats? Dark glasses?
Did they attempt to touch you in a inappropriate area?

Kobi and his cloak and dagger posts filled with secrecy and wonder.
Every post has to be like an episode of "Murder She Wrote".

Spill the beans already and tell us what happened.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have two issues with cancelling.

Speed tv has a few races I actually want to watch now and then, kinda like spike tv has a few shows on now n then that're cool.

Live as well as local news.

If I could get around losing those things on my tv, I'd gladly drop DTV and get setup on netflix.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 AM
AT&T U-Verse for the win!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 AM
I have switched from AT&T U-Verse to DirecTV (only because of a move and AT&T is not offered here) but I have heard from a lot of customers who have canceled their service and were basically harassed about coming back... through mail, internet, phone calls..

But... I WANT MY U-VERSE BACK! Way better than DTV (if anyone is wondering)

Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Habibi
Spill the beans already and tell us what happened.
I will answer by quoting myself in an excerpt from the original post:

. . . I'll leave it at that. (This of course is my opinion. I make no specific accusations, nor are any implied).

I'll just say this. If you must have some sort of pay television service, you may want to consider other options.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 AM
By they way - completely highjacking my own thread - hey Habibi, did you see this?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4424788-post67.html

Old 12-13-2010, 01:13 AM
By they way - completely highjacking my own thread - hey Habibi, did you see this?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4424788-post67.html
First I heard, I'm off to check it out.
Thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 AM
I have DirecTV, I have no issues with them but I have never canceled their service either. Where I live it's difficult to be choosy. No cable company runs out this far. If I cancel DirecTV and try to watch my shows online, I would quickly exceed the internet satellite's FAP. I have to have the satellite for internet, we have a choice between satellite or slow as molasses in January after a driving blizzard and an Arctic cold front (I.E. dial-up) If I put an antenna on my roof I get exactly 1 over the waves channel. Guess I have to keep them for now.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Love my Directv, but I have never cancelled, and the customer service I have experienced sucks. Is Uverse really any good? I used to work for ATT and I would have never recommended anything that they offer to anyone ever. I never had any interaction with the Uverse, though. Anyone tried Prism? It's CenturyLink's version of Uverse. I heard that Embarq was sucky but that CenturyLink ain't bad, they're my dsl provider now and I can't complain.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Comcast isn't much better....hell, they changed their name to Xfinity to avoid their worst rated customer service under "comcast"....

I get free internet at 20MBS for a full year after they locked out my email for 2 weeks and I had to call them 5+ times plus contact them online...and they billed the account wrong...also cancelled it when I moved (or so I thought), turns out they never cancelled it and I was being billed at an old apartment even though I had transferred the account to my new house....took 3 weeks for them to fix the bill.....Unfortunately my girlfriend likes to watch her DVR HD shows so I foot the bill...but I have it at $65/month for a year with internet and TV. Much better than the $128 they were charging me. I still can't believe internet and TV is that expensive.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 AM
My Cancellation experience w/ Direct TV...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...d-directv.html

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
No cable or what not here... Over the air. My parents won't pay for tv, and I agree the more I have thought about it. The only thing I wish I had was the NASCAR races, but I work through them anyways so what's the point?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I've actually been thinking of canceling my Comcast\Xfinity subscription. I don't watch half of the channels. I have pretty much everything you can get from them (phone, cable internet, all movie channels, etc). I could live with just phone, internet but I am hooked on shows like True Blood, Dexter, Entourage, Californication, etc which all air on HBO or Showtime. I don't think I could bring myself to watch these shows a year and a half later from when they originally aired, on say, Netflix or what ever. It's sad, but I pay all that money just to watch those shows. Until they become available online (legally) I will continue to pay the ridiculous price. To me, it's worth it. But yea, other then those shows I could really do with out my cable tv.

Quick Reply: DirecTV