Advise from Vets

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jack and Janet

I hope I was not taken wrong when I said that I can only imagine what he went through, Only because I have no actual experience can I ONLY imagine. I know the movie versions of what goes on is just make believe and each soldier's experience is different. Hey I'm the kind of guy that cried at the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan! You are 100000000% correct and I don't take it as any kind of slam, and thank you too for your service.

I too grew up in the Viet Nam era and was apalled by the way our returning soldiers were treated and don't want anything close to that for our modern day warriors. Now that I'm older and don't care too much what people think of me I'm the one who will remove someone else's hat at the national anthem, but that's just me.

Just as I cannot really imagine what ALL you vets have gone through on our behalf, you cannot imagine how deeply ALL OF YOU ARE HEROE'S TO ME! Thanks!

Thank you all for the suggestions
Jim

Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
The other members gave you some very sound advice though. Give him space, but let him know he's "loved".

- Jack
Our son rides a Harley and flies an Apache Longbow. He's been to Kosovo twice and Iraq twice and is Afganistan now. Our DIL said it was a couple of years before he calmed down when he came back from Iraq last time and as much sympathy as we have for those that pay that kind of price (and it is a high price), the wives and family also pay a high price. I was in the military, though I didn't see combat, I have always had a deep heartfelt appreciation for all those who have served, and even given their lives to keep all of us safe. Our son lost his stick buddy (they were both SIP's) in Kosovo. You don't want to know what I think of those that criticize our military. ZERO tolerance! Only Love and appreciation for them. 4 of the 5 of us boys served and are proud of it. God Bless ALL those who served!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Jgger, I don't think I misunderstood you when you said "I can only imagine". It's a very natural thing to say and most people would not react to it. Even another combat Vet will probably not 'overtly" react to it, but, if he is anything like me, it leaves him with a "bad feeling".

At the same time, I'm not advocating walking around on "eggshells" around these guys either. They've been through a lot and they just really want to get back to "normal", whatever that is for them.

One of the approaches I would not hesitate in using, would be to ask a combat Vet, "How do you see it?", when some news story or similar thing about the war comes up. If he has an opinion, listen respectfully, and don't be afraid to question further. But don't disagree, because you weren't there! If he has no opinion, that's fine too - drop it! In other words, be a good "listener", and don't offer advice.

I appreciate what you said about respect for the National Anthem and your attitude toward our service men and women too - more than you can know. Thank you Jim.

- Jack

Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
#1 just tell him thanks

#2 don't interupt that first shower (or the few thereafter)...

#3 you didn't say whether or not he was a fobbit if he was then he'll have lots of stories to tell, if was a non-fobbit, he'll be jumpy at sudden noises, different smells, different places he goes, huge crowds etc...

#4 like others have already stated, don't push the issue with him, what happened happened it's done and it's over with when he's ready he'll talk about it IF he ever gets to that point where he's comfortable talking about it with people who weren't there

#5 the food, drink, toilet paper and stuff is a geat way to start once he gets into some comfortable clothing after a shower

Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 AM
tarajerame
Technical Article Contributor
2003 Ford F-150
My Garage Join Date: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 200? FORD

#1 just tell him thanks

#2 don't interupt that first shower (or the few thereafter)...

#3 you didn't say whether or not he was a fobbit if he was then he'll have lots of stories to tell, if was a non-fobbit, he'll be jumpy at sudden noises, different smells, different places he goes, huge crowds etc...

#4 like others have already stated, don't push the issue with him, what happened happened it's done and it's over with when he's ready he'll talk about it IF he ever gets to that point where he's comfortable talking about it with people who weren't there

#5 the food, drink, toilet paper and stuff is a geat way to start once he gets into some comfortable clothing after a shower
Good advise, however as I stated earlier I have no military experience so forgive me-wtf is a fobbit?

I haven't seen him yet,(he is a friend of the family), but my son told me he checks for his side arm and night vision goggles when he gets up to go some where. I know I'll get to visit with him in HIS OWN time. Nobody wants to visit with an old geezer as soon as they get home!

Thanks again for all the tips.
Jim

Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Fobbit

A term used to describe soldiers in Iraq that rarely if ever leave the relative safety of the Forward Operating Base (FOB). This is a perjoritive term used by soldiers that spend a lot of time outside the wire beaing shot at and dodging road-side bombs, for those soldiers that live a safer and more comfortable life.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 AM
glc
No cars in glc's garage, add now Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150

Fobbit

A term used to describe soldiers in Iraq that rarely if ever leave the relative safety of the Forward Operating Base (FOB). This is a perjoritive term used by soldiers that spend a lot of time outside the wire beaing shot at and dodging road-side bombs, for those soldiers that live a safer and more comfortable life.
Got it! Thanks glc.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
yup GLC nailed it

Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
No - Urban Dictionary nailed it.....

Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent 20 years in the Marines and did several combat tours. I always use to hate when people thanked me. One thanks is enough any more I'd get embarrassed. I use to hate having to go see everyone when I got back...It became a chore so my Mother would have a big party and everyone would get to see me and that would free me up to visit who I wanted and do some of the things I wanted to do. I always wanted to spend some time by myself, visit the old high school, area I grew up etc...If he does this perfectly normal....Most of the combat stuff , unless you been there you can't imagine, so I told my stories if people asked but kept them pretty generic. Had no problems with people asking questions, answered what I wanted and didn't answer if I didn't. It seems we are always drawn to others that served as we knew they had an idea so don't be suprised if he goes that route. He will be fine..Tell him Semper Fi for me

Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Will do Ric14221.

Thanks
Jim

Old 12-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ric14221
I spent 20 years in the Marines and did several combat tours. I always use to hate when people thanked me. One thanks is enough any more I'd get embarrassed. I use to hate having to go see everyone when I got back...It became a chore so my Mother would have a big party and everyone would get to see me and that would free me up to visit who I wanted and do some of the things I wanted to do. I always wanted to spend some time by myself, visit the old high school, area I grew up etc...If he does this perfectly normal....Most of the combat stuff , unless you been there you can't imagine, so I told my stories if people asked but kept them pretty generic. Had no problems with people asking questions, answered what I wanted and didn't answer if I didn't. It seems we are always drawn to others that served as we knew they had an idea so don't be suprised if he goes that route. He will be fine..Tell him Semper Fi for me
I feel the same way about the "thanks", ric! (It gets trite and insincere, really fast, doesn't it?) I also know exactly what you're saying about talking about the "combat stuff".

But jgger, what you said sounded very heartfelt and I appreciated it.

- Jack

Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I feel the same way about the "thanks", ric! (It gets trite and insincere, really fast, doesn't it?) I also know exactly what you're saying about talking about the "combat stuff".

But jgger, what you said sounded very heartfelt and I appreciated it.

- Jack
I understand completely what you guys are saying, so at the risk of being a PIA let's just say it's here when you need/want it. (The "T" word stuff!)

Quick Reply: Advise from Vets