Cooling system problem/Trying to identify a part.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling system problem/Trying to identify a part.

Hello Everyone,

I’m brand new to the forum and this is my first post. I’m desperate for some help!

What I’ve got is a 1995 F-150, 5.0 4x4. In the process of changing a cooling hose connected to the intake a small metal tube broke off. In addition to not knowing what this part is called, I'm pretty fuzzy on the best way to attack trying to replace it granted I can get a new one. I'm a relative "noob" to vehicle repair, but I have great access to most of the tools I need, and quite frankly I'm sick to death of being raped everytime something goes wrong. Can anyone else feel my pain on this???

Anyhow, I've attached a couple of links to pics of what I'm dealing with here:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4...oseproblem.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3...eproblem02.jpg

The first one is a bit redundant to what I had just described. The second one shows a closeup of where the tube broke off. You can see where I had removed a bolt in hopes of getting the rest of what had broken off of the tube out, but I'm not even sure this is going to help me. My worst fear is of course having to disassemble that entire system in order to repair it. If that's the case then I suppose I'll have no choice.

I'm fortunate enough to have a copy of the official Ford Shop manual CDROM, but I'm still unable to figure out what that tube is called or how to go about replacement.

Any help out there will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sarumandali; 11-21-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Links don't work.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Links to images should work now. Sorry about that.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
This day keeps getting better . . . .

Can't figure out why my links aren't working, AND I think I accidentally deleted my original post. I've actually figured out what my problem was early this morning anyway. If these links don't work this time, I give up.

Link1
Link2

The part in question was a tube coming out of the throttle body. Had no idea it was called a throttle body. By sheer luck I found someone else on a different forum with the same problem so I was able to fix it.

Thanks Jbrew for even trying to look at it for me.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 AM
It's hard to tell from the pics, but it might be the throttle body heater. If you live in a warmer climate (it's doesn't snow\freeze) you can typically bypass it. There was antifreezerunning through it right AND it was running to the base of the throttle body?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This shows how the hoses should be routed:

This is another way to add pics to your post:

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks Steve, I was trying to do that but I couldn't get it to work. The imbedded pis that is.

As far as the other problem I'm having, I've got it solved for now. I bypassed it like someone else suggested until I can spring the cash for a new throttle body. Seems that's the only way to fix it permanently since that tube I have pictured is pressed in rather than threaded.

Thanks for the help!

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I have a throttle body from my 92 Bronco (5.8). It took it off the engine in 2000 with about 80,000 miles and its been in storage ever since. I'd have to look for it. PM me if interested.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Sarumandali - You MIGHT get a more definitive response if this were posted in a different forum, so I'm moving it to the V8 engine forum. I'll leave an expiring redirect here though for a week so people can still find it.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Cooling system problem/Trying to identify a part.