"Reserved for Fuel Effecient Vehicle Parking Only" Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Reserved for Fuel Effecient Vehicle Parking Only" Best Buy

One of the guys on the local forum posted that one of our local Best Buy stores now has these new signs in 6 stalls that are just as close as the handicap stalls. They read "Reserved For Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking Only"

Well I needed some blank DVD's

A couple things....

1. In no way is this a legal sign. Actually even the STOP signs that are in these huge mini mall parking lots are not enforceable due to it being private property. Only exception is for the STOP signs or Handicap stalls if it is CLEARLY marked that it is patrolled by local law enforcement AND they have a contract saying it can be patrolled. Either way the fuel efficient signs mean nothing. I'm an LEO is the only reason I'm sure of this however laws vary from state to state.

2. Normally I park as far away as possible but this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. If I had more time I would have stayed there all day just to watch people's expressions as they pulled up in their hybrid.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hibrid are handicapped

Old 11-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There might be plans in the works to add outlets to charge plug-in hybrids that have not been installed yet. Otherwise it is just a bunch of feel good garbage.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think that this might be a great idea, think about it. You have a "fuel efficient vehicle" that can park close and you have the "gas guzzler" driving around and around looking for places to park! Way to save the planet........what a bunch of dimwits!

When I see stuff like that I don't go to those stores, I find some place else to spend my money.

BTW nice pic.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie
There might be plans in the works to add outlets to charge plug-in hybrids that have not been installed yet. Otherwise it is just a bunch of feel good garbage.
Just a thought... Is best buy going to sell gas too along with the electricity? You know it ain't going to be free.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Perhaps the city required the signs? I've seen similar signs on new office buildings - I think the property owner was basically required to set aside spaces for hybrids.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM
If that happens it will probably start here in cal-e-forna (like Arnold says it). After all we now have Moonbeam back again.

It's funny how people jump on the band wagon of the latest and the greatest of all this enviormental crap with out thinking things through. How many new power plants will have to be built to supply the juice to charge the electric fleet they want to create?

Then you have those pushing hydrogen fuel, only by-product being water. What happens to an arid climate when you introduce all the the water into the atmosphere? It changes things drastically. Phoenix Az used to be a place that people would move to if they had respitory problems and needed dry air. They came, planted lawns, golf courses, and introduced a whole bunch of water to the atmosphere. Phoenix is no longer a good place for people with a need for dry/good air.

Seems like people are not willing to accept the improvements to existing systems, like diesel they just want the "new" stuff with all the whirrlie-gigs but don't think things through.

Rant over!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Sorry Stealth, I doubt BB will be giving you gas in the future. However, I can make a case for "giving away" the electricity.

It takes about 8 hours to charge a car based on current technology. The cost for this is around $3 or $.38/hour. Someone driving a plug-in car that needs a charge they will be more likely to spend a longer time in the store. This will lead to more items being sold. It doesn't take much in the way of sales to cover the electricity costs.

Another factor is big box stores like BB are typically found in the suburbs. Plug-in cars largest market will be downtown urban customers. The cars have a range of less than 50 miles on a full charge. This would make a great lure to pull city dwellers out, buy your TV here and we will pay for the trip.

The other option would be to sell the electricity through a meter. This would cover the cost of the electricity and keep the customer in the store for a longer time. The same case can not be made for giving away 87 octane.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
^ Why would anyone want to spend 8 hours in Block Buster? That is an ignorant strategy for increased sales.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
LOL that is a awesome sign we have those around our school but the enforce them too much, they will tow your truck away.. but on the other hand I can see where its coming from but honestly Im not getting rid of my truck so ill just drive around the parking lot a bunch of times and waste gas just to find a parking spot lol, they should do it the other way around... Gas guzzlers at the front hybrids and such far away so we dont have to see them haha. And the thing about charging make some sense but I dont have the patients to stay in a store for more than 30mins so I guess ill just have to drive around with my gas generator to keep my car charged if it ever gets to that haha.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
so does that mean my truck wont get keyed since it has the hybrid emblems on it???

Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM
^^^
Ignorant is an interesting choice of words when the store in question is BEST BUY... an electronics store which is full of gizmos on display for you to play with in order to convince you they are worth buying. A few more minutes in a store like that often leads to more items being sold. Whether it is a new cd or a big screen TV the customer was on the verge of buying. Selling a $1000 tv for an additional $.40 doesn't seem so bad now does it? They may only spend another 30-45 minutes in the store but spend another $50.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:56 PM
^ Okay, but not 8 hours.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Ignorant is an interesting choice of words when the store in question is BEST BUY... an electronics store which is full of gizmos on display for you to play with in order to convince you they are worth buying. A few more minutes in a store like that often leads to more items being sold. Whether it is a new cd or a big screen TV the customer was on the verge of buying. Selling a $1000 tv for an additional $.40 doesn't seem so bad now does it? They may only spend another 30-45 minutes in the store but spend another $50.
Or, be a butt head like me and not shop at a store that tries to punish me for what I drive!

Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Great picture!

Quick Reply: "Reserved for Fuel Effecient Vehicle Parking Only" Best Buy