work-out supplement questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
work-out supplement questions

Okay, being a forum. i am sure there are a few of you that have used supplements before.

okay so i have been working out for a few months now and have not seen any gains. a little in strenght but not much. so i decided that i would try some supplements.

i went down and picked up some Legal limit labs. and anabolic cycle and a post cylce.

my question is.
should i follow the person at the store or the bottle..

The worker told me to take two of each pill twice a day.

the bottle says take one of one pill a day and two of the others.
or i can take two of one pill. that will give me a 30 day cycle of each. from my reseach i have read that i want to do a 4 week cycle. so if i follow the bottle i will at the 4 weeks, if i follow the worker i will be at a two week cycle and would have to buy three more sets of the pills to do a 6 week cycle which people online reconmend.

i was thinking i should just do a four week cycle for my first one and see if i make any results.

what do yall think?

i know this might be a stupid question, but this is my first supplement cycle, and i have asked questions, but not all of them were answered. and the bottles say different than the worker. so just wondering

thanks in advance

Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Protein, and more protein. I've been using whey for a few years with great results. You may need to push yourself more at the gym if you're not building strength after 1 month. I personally do not use supplements outside of the little bit of Creatine that is in the protein powder I use.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Frank S
Protein, and more protein. I've been using whey for a few years with great results. You may need to push yourself more at the gym if you're not building strength after 1 month. I personally do not use supplements outside of the little bit of Creatine that is in the protein powder I use.
Most supplements are waist of money. I take my doses of protein. I've experimented with several and the only ones I buy anymore are Protein, Animal Staks (these were awesome), and a Testosterone booster (terrible taste but jack you up). IMO supplements are more of a placebo than anything else. The only way to build muscle is to do the proper workouts.

Also what kind of lifting are you doing if you aren't seeing any results? Sounds like you need more weight. I try to balance between a cardio/cut-look/muscle building (all three distinctive weight lifting techniques). I usually rest only about 30sec between lifts and do sets of 10-8-6-4-2, then move to a new lift.

I haven't lifted in a while but next semester I'll have more time as I'll be living at the school town rather than commuting.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Well the suplements are a test booster cycle...

And for a work out i am doing what i was during cc. Which could be why i have not seen much results.
Bench three sets of eight. I can do 110lbs.
Curles 25 lbs. Three sets of eight.
Pull ups
pushups
Dips
crunches
sit ups
squats cant do much cause messed up right knee while playing hockey

and i run between one to three miles. Dont do all that in one day. But those are what i basicly do.. I have noticed it has gotton easier. But when i try to do more it becomes too hard to do my sets of eight and i cant complete them.

Thinking of also trying a new workout routeen with the test boosters

Old 11-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Ohh also.. I ran cc for three years. And have never gotton about 135lbs. Even after the past three years of doing basicly nothing but eating. And have not found a group at the gym.. Wierd hours. So cant do much wieght is another problem. Thats why i only bench 110 no spotter to push myself safely

Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Never done the supplement thing, though I'm sure some help & most are a a waste of coin.

I too, am a little baffled that you haven't seen much gain in a month. I have noticed a significant change in the last month of my workouts & I'm 55. Anyways, are you eating properly? Are you getting a day's rest between similar sets of exercise? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you keeping a log so that improvements can be documented? Do you do the exercises properly, two count up, four count down? Do you exhale on the exertion or hold your breath?

Sounds like you could be an ectomorph body type:Theoretical body type in which a person has a high metabolism. Such a person can easily maintain a low fat physique, but does not add muscle or body weight easily.

My workout/set philosophy is a little different. Weight was selected such that I could do 3 sets of 10. I do: Lat pull down, military press, leg extension, row, bench press, leg curl, flyes, lat raise, leg press, bicep curls and abs. I try to do them in that order, though sometimes the machine is busy. I do one set of 10 on each machine then move on. The second set I do 11 reps, third set 12 reps. I've added a partial fourth circuit with the "max lift" according to my iPhone app, usually 6-10 reps.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To get really good gains you have to get to muscle failure every time you work out, which is hard without a spotter. If your not sore after your workouts your not doing much. The soreness is derived from your muscles cells running out of O2 to burn so they burn sugars instead resulting in lactic acid build up.

What are your goals with this? Get stronger? Get thinner? Lose weight? Your methods are highly contingent on your goals.

I have a great workout for strength but you really need a spotter. Start with a weight you can hit 10 reps. then add 5-10 lbs and get to 8, add 5-10lbs get to 6, and so on until you get two reps, then go back to you 10 rep weight and max out. Then go straight to a supplemental workout. So you use this on bench press and you go straight to incline or decline. You'll be sore every time, which is what builds strength. With this workout I was adding 10-15 lbs to my 2 rep set about every three workouts, so ten days (ish) I saw tangible measurable results.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I used to use this supplement called 1AD. That stuff was awesome, but it got banned. I haven't worked out in a while, but since I just moved into an apartment complex with a gym, I'm going to start again.

I always had trouble building size (I've weighed about 165lbs for a LONG time). I normally build strength pretty quick, but I never get any visual gains.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Supplements are a waste. I know one of the medical guys on Armstrong's bike team. He said they only thing any of those guys use is Muscle Milk in a protein shake every now and then.

There is no reason to be trying to be overdosing your body with only certain things. If you have a good diet, a good workout routine, and a good mental drive. You will get the results you want. Save some of that money to buy a membership at a nicer gym that has more/better equipment.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
My main goal on working out it to gain strenth. I know that size will adventually come.

And like i said earlier i have wieghted no more than 135 ever. Weighted that in highschool when i ran cc. And still do three years later. I am five nin

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
To the OP, whats your goals for your workout routine? Are you looking to put on some muscle or trying to lose some weight? You should look into some professionally made programs these will help you substantially as i know they helped me. Look into a book called Starting Strength my Mark Rippetoe, this book outlines all kinds of lifts and how to properly execute those lifts. Supplement-wise you dont need many, I take 3 fish oil (omega 3) tablets a day plus two multi vitamins a day one in the morning and one after my workout. I also only use whey protein mixed with water one shake before the workout and one after the workout. The most important thing if your trying to put on muscle or lose some fat is make sure you clean up your diet. I have cleaned up my diet in the last 3 months and so far have lost probably about 10 pounds of fat while still upping the weights on my lifts. Eat right, lift heavy stuff and repeat.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Sorry. My phone is being stupid. Anyways. I am five nine and feel like a twig. I want to gain strenght, weight, and adventually size will come..

Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Alright, look into that book i mentioned on amazon.com i think its around 20-30 bucks. If your looking to put on some size you need to get some protein, I use Dymatize elite as it has zero carbs and no sugar. Optimum Nutrition also makes a good protein powder that tastes great and mixes well. Dont fall for the marketing schemes of most workout supplements, companies like muscletech and Bsn are great marketers but most of there products are full of sugar or caffeine. Look for a whey protein that is an isolate not a blend, isolates are 100% whey protein. Don't fall for the pre-workout drinks like No-vapor and stuff like that either most of that crap is sugar and caffeine and are very expensive. Whats your diet look like?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Well my doet isnt the best right now, because i am working two jobs. So i eat a breakfest. Lunch at around three to four. And then i eat a dinner at around 9 well it isnt the most health diet. But working two jobs kinda hurts me on the eating diet.. Lol. Need help on nutrition

Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Im on the beer supplement seems to be working quite well....

Quick Reply: work-out supplement questions