I hate my state. Give me advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate my state. Give me advice.

California. C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A. Good ole sunshine state.

I hate it. Well, that's not fair. I hate the majority of the voters who have proven themselves stupid and consequently force me to live in a state that is buried beneath an avalanche of big government and wasteful spending.

Everything I voted for got crushed. That insufferable Boxer got relected. The horrible governor my dad loathed 30 years ago got another ticket back to Sacramento. The majority rule got changed to a simple majority, allowing Democratic government projects an easy path to approval. I just plain don't understand it. We are taxed almost 10% on everything we buy in a day. Still, the people vote to keep it going. They actively choose to be taxed into the ground. I want to own a house in my future, but I just see that date get pushed further and further back by how much the government takes. I want to live free of intrusive government, and I don't see that happening. And, I am about fed up with seeing signs in languages other than English. Some parts of LA are indistinguishable from Mexico, and I am done with it.

"Why don't you just move?" you are thinking. Well, I am now considering it in very real terms. I am thinking of moving to Colorado. I have to make a decision by the time I am done with law school so I know which bar exam to take. I have never known any other place but California. I have friends and family here. I am scared of taking such a huge decision, but I want to be in a place where my ideals are a majority, not a minority.

Have any of you made a similar decision? I need advice from people who have more life experience. Am I just being a whiner? Talk to me, goose.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quit yer whining.

You could move to cold Canada wheere everything you buy is subject to 13% tax, and I mean everything.
Pay through the *** for electricity & natural gas, the highest cell phone rates in the world, and then add 13% tax on top of it.

Here's some bills laying around my desk, let's have a look.

Property tax on my 1700 sf house....$4,118 per year
Insurance for my 3 cars and house $4,000 per year (pefect driving record, zero claims)
Electricity averages about $200 a month + 13%
Natural Gas in the winter is about $300 a month + 13% tax (80 bucks in the summer)
Phone & cable = $200 a month + 13% tax
Internet = $100 a month + 13% tax

On top of that, every dollar I earn, the government takes 42 cents of it to pay for lazy asses who dont want to work, and give Quebec lots of extra money because they think they are special and hold the rest of us hostage.

On top of that, our prices for basic neccessities are much higher than what you guys south of the border pay.
Sometimes my wife and I will travel to Watertown, NY to do some shopping, and the grocery prices you guys pay are dirt cheap.
Come over here and you will crap your pants.

$5 for milk
$4-$5 for a pound of butter
$4 loaf of bread

On the positive side though, health care is free, and our crime rates is pretty low compared to America (per capita and everything considered equal)

At least in California youve got hot chicks walking around everywhere, warm temps, sunshine all the time, and beaches all over the place.

Also, you don't have this to look forward to for 4 months a year:

Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Well I am considered more of a Liberal on here but personally I would say the majority of the members here are much more right of center than most forums. Take my advice how you wish.

I don't know if it makes a huge difference whether a politician is Republican or Democrat. I think they both speak out of both sides of their mouth. I trust little of what either side says; however, I don't want to write government off either. While it is seemingly inefficient, I do feel it serves as a balance to total chaos. I think given the opportunity that business can and would be as corrupt as government. We have the means to vote government out and we have less control over businesses.

Living in Southern California, you are in one of the most liberal areas of one of the most liberal states. Obviously you don't support their goals and that is fine. We all can believe how we wish in this country and have the right to express out opinions. I am a strong backer of that and would defend it to the Nth degree, even if the message the person was saying made my blood boil. Freedom isn't always easy!

As far as signs being in Spanish, that is kind of a reality anywhere there is a Latino population. If they are here legally, they have the same opportunities that we all do to make a living. If they feel their business is better off being signed in Spanish, it's their right to do so. We don't have a national language, so depending on where you go, you are likely to see signs in many languages.

With regards to housing, California is about at the top of the market in prices. Even with the housing crash, the cost of a home their is going to be much more than say in the deep south or rust belt. You have favorable weather and the Pacific Ocean within reach so it costs more. You also have earthquakes which is a reason I choose not to live there

That said, you have to be the one to make the decision where you are happiest. Moving from LA, you are leaving your friends and family behind. You can always call and visit though. You may make a whole new set of friends as well, who knows? You may be wildly successful or fall on your face. It's hard to say.

Myself personally, while I can understand your frustration, I don't think you are going to find any major city significantly different than LA. You will find that a greater concentration of minorities are in the inner cities, you will find major cities tend to be more Liberal than rural areas. If you plan to be a lawyer, this is something to consider. Attorneys in large metropolitan areas tend to make more than rural attorneys.

I have traveled a quite a bit in my life and definitely states like Texas and the deep south are going to be much more conservative. Texas will still have a large Latino population so you won't escape that. Colorado is a beautiful state but again cities like Denver are not going to be strong conservative bastions. The population is about a third Hispanic as well. Taxes are going to be high everywhere, with sales taxes ranging from 6 - 10%. I know in Chicago it is 10%+ and the suburbs are a little lower.

In the end you have to choose your path. This country was founded on the principle of being a "melting pot" and you will be hard pressed to find a metropolitan area that is not very diverse.

All I can say is good luck!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza
California. C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A. Good ole sunshine state.

I hate it. Well, that's not fair. I hate the majority of the voters who have proven themselves stupid and consequently force me to live in a state that is buried beneath an avalanche of big government and wasteful spending.

Everything I voted for got crushed. That insufferable Boxer got relected. The horrible governor my dad loathed 30 years ago got another ticket back to Sacramento. The majority rule got changed to a simple majority, allowing Democratic government projects an easy path to approval. I just plain don't understand it. We are taxed almost 10% on everything we buy in a day. Still, the people vote to keep it going. They actively choose to be taxed into the ground. I want to own a house in my future, but I just see that date get pushed further and further back by how much the government takes. I want to live free of intrusive government, and I don't see that happening. And, I am about fed up with seeing signs in languages other than English. Some parts of LA are indistinguishable from Mexico, and I am done with it.

"Why don't you just move?" you are thinking. Well, I am now considering it in very real terms. I am thinking of moving to Colorado. I have to make a decision by the time I am done with law school so I know which bar exam to take. I have never known any other place but California. I have friends and family here. I am scared of taking such a huge decision, but I want to be in a place where my ideals are a majority, not a minority.

Have any of you made a similar decision? I need advice from people who have more life experience. Am I just being a whiner? Talk to me, goose.
You have my sympathies. We've been here for 47 years and it was a fantastic place to live when we moved here. Slowly over the years, the changes we've seen haven't been good changes. The state has been run by a bunch of liberal nut cases for too long now, and unfortunately, with the election of one of the biggest liberal nut cases of all, Jerry Brown (Moonbeam), alias "Scary Jerry", there's not a lot of hope. We have had a "Rino" Republican in the current Schwarts/Kennedy team so no luck there. If they had their way the Dems would have us looking like Canada, pennies left from your pay check, if that.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Move to Wisconsin. Not tooooo bad here.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Seriously, leave. Let those idiots run their State into the ground. It's far easier to move east than it is to move west. My sister and her family settled in the San Jose area after she and her husband finished college out there. They made it about 10 years before they had 3 kids and decided CA wasn't the place for them. They now live in NC, have 2 more kids and have never been happier.

- NCSU

Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
To answer your question OP, Move.

I was born and raised in Cali and now live in New Jersey which I hate even more and in 7 months we are moving to Oklahoma.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I hated California and New Jersey but, I hated living in Oklahoma even more.

I have never lived in North Dakota and that's where I'm moving next.
Hopefully, I won't hate it.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In all honesty, most Coloradans are tired of Californians moving here, myself included. Just because they move here because of the liberal policies and then just elect the same retards to power in Colorado, ie Bennet, and that POS Ken Salazar. Then they move, buy a 4x4, think they can drive 90 MPH on I-25 with a foot of snow, wreck and shut down the highway for 4 hours. It sounds funny but I see it every fall/winter. My perspective is that what is considered 'conservative' in California is more like middle of the road here. But keep in mind that if you are a true conservative you won't like Colorado either, believe me, I'm trying to move somewhere not run by a libtard.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Raoul
I hated California and New Jersey but, I hated living in Oklahoma even more.

I have never lived in North Dakota and that's where I'm moving next.
Hopefully, I won't hate it.
^^^^

Don't come to Florida, our econonmy is in the toilet too...oh yeah, did I mention I hate living here... I think one day I'll move to TN

Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
We have a lot of hate in this thread. Maybe we should all move to a small area and create our own state, then again we would probably all end op hating one another and then posting on forums about how we all suck.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems like everyone from Cali moves to Texas, whats one more??? Come on down

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Seems like everyone from Cali moves to Texas, whats one more??? Come on down
During the Alaska oil boom there many from Oklahoma and Texas relocating there.

Bumpersticker seen on a car with Alaska plates:

Happiness Is
A Texan heading South
with an Okie under each arm

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Come on to Texas. A great place to live and a good place for families.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm tied to California due to my wife's family all living here. Of course, inland it is much more conservative than LA and San Francisco.

FWIW, most my family moved to my dad's home state of North Carolina about 5 years ago. They love it there.

Quick Reply: I hate my state. Give me advice.