dog help fast....dog ate the WHOLE garbage

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackjack,
I have a five year old Beagle.
Last Saturday afternoon the wife put gifts under the tree (forgetting that one of them had chocolates in it)......
Of course you know where this is going......
I came home about an hour after she left and found three gifts partially opened, and one gift tore open completely, box chewed, paper everywhere!
She was hunched in the corner with the "I'm sorry,I couldn't help myself" eyes staring at me!....belly swollen like she swallowed a ball.
She wolfed down 14....14!! Lindt Chocolate *****.
Some she got the wrappers off, others she ate whole.

We restricted her to the kitchen (tile floor) to await the inevitable.
And to our surprise it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be.

She did throw up 24 hrs. later and the chocolate first made her constipated, then gave her the runs.

Your dog is going to be fine....you don't have to feed it for a while!

A couple of years ago our Beagle also ate a whole box of dry brownie mix she got at by jumping on the kitchen table....
She survived that....we figured she'd survive this.

Merry Christmas!!
!!..Keep that Tri-colored pig away from the Christmas dinner!!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM
generally a good idea to give your vet a call instead of asking a bunch of people on a truck forum about the welfare of your dog( yes i realize your vet probably wasn't open given the time you made this post, wich then you would want to look up any surrounding emergency vet and ask them)

sometimes it's a good idea to induce vomiting and sometimes you can do way more harm that good.

generally a really bad idea to just kick him outside and let him deal with it himself too.

you're dog could easily have bloated and died right there.

i do hope your dog is doing ok this afternoon

Old 12-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my dog always ate chocolate..nothing ever happened to her.hmmm lol

yea just kick him outside fer a couple days till its over with

Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Penguin86
generally a good idea to give your vet a call instead of asking a bunch of people on a truck forum about the welfare of your dog( yes i realize your vet probably wasn't open given the time you made this post, wich then you would want to look up any surrounding emergency vet and ask them)

sometimes it's a good idea to induce vomiting and sometimes you can do way more harm that good.

generally a really bad idea to just kick him outside and let him deal with it himself too.

you're dog could easily have bloated and died right there.

i do hope your dog is doing ok this afternoon
Follow this advice!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
You've gotten TWO good bits of advice: the post from Penguin, and then the second from Tbird. If you care about your dog, call a damned Vet! If you don't care, then do whatever....

- Jack

Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I just remembered something...

Pork gives dogs tape worms!

Get it checked out like now.

Taenia solium : The Pork Tapeworm
Taenia solium (tay-EE-nee-ah SO-lee-um) is a close relative of Taenia saginata, although the intermediate host of this parasite is the pig. Humans are infected by eating the cysticercus in undercooked pork. T. solium is slightly smaller than T. saginata (3-4m long), but is considered more dangerous. Unlike T. saginata, humans are susceptible to developing the cysticercus of T. solium if the eggs are ingested. Therefore, if someone harbours a pork tapeworm, they pose a risk to themselves and others around them of developing cysticercosis. These cycticerci may lodge in the brain, eye or muscle, causing serious problems. Furthermore, if the body kills the parasites, calcium salts are laid down in their place, creating tiny pebbles in the soft tissue.

Last edited by ManualF150; 12-24-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added tape worm info..

Quick Reply: dog help fast....dog ate the WHOLE garbage