Obama...what's the problem with him ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
The history of this country is rooted in people who felt so persecuted in Europe (either financially, politically or religiously) that they were willing to completely uproot their lives and come to an unknown wilderness outpost to start their lives over. From these earliest foundations, the concepts of self-reliance and a healthy suspicion of government have been intricately woven into the culture of the United States.

Barack Obama cuts against the grain of this basic underpinning of American society, exuding the attitude and, more importantly, the BELIEF that the solution for VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING (economic conditions, healthcare, personal responsibility, etc.) begins and ends with government.

Personally, I reject this premise with every fiber of my body. I believe the LEAST amount of government is the BEST amount of government. While I have no problem supporting Obama on issues with which I agree, for the most part my beliefs are diametrically opposed to his, and feel his vision of America will destroy the country I call home.

As such, on most issues, I will fight to defeat the Obama agenda, and can only pray that he is neutered in 2010, and amputated in 2012.

Now THATS the sort of post that helps us 'furriners' understand your viewpoints.
Thankyou.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Lets get rid of all government! No more police, fire department, military,etc!!!!

We all have garden hoses to put out the fire!!!!

The idea of "fining" people for not having insurance stems from the GOP. The Dems just want to give it to us and pay later!!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Suspended
Well, maybe considering the Constitution dictates that the govt is supposed to look out for the welfare (which would include health) our the citizens of our nation, maybe healthcare should include a govt program.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Where does it say that in the Constitution?
Last I checked it said we had the right to pursuit happiness. Means we get off our butt and do what we think is right.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Suspended
oh my...........pursuit of happiness is the Declaration of Independence.

Preamble:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Art I, Sec. 8:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/welfare
the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/well-being
the state of being happy, healthy, or prosperous

I think someone could reasonably argue that the Constitution provides for healthcare.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by K-Mac Attack
Lets get rid of all government! No more police, fire department, military,etc!!!!

We all have garden hoses to put out the fire!!!!

The idea of "fining" people for not having insurance stems from the GOP. The Dems just want to give it to us and pay later!!!!
Government is only suppose to protect us from foreign invaders, protect us from each other, and ensure that we keep our rights.

Think how much lower all our tax dollars would be if it was the founding fathers running the government today. You would save so much of your earned money that you could buy a 'rolls royce' of an insurance plan for you and your family.

I don't see anywhere where the GOP is wanting to fine people for not having insurance? It is the democrats that are pushing that to make sure they can get all the money they can to fund this public option so it won't go broke like everything else has.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
The history of this country is rooted in people who felt so persecuted in Europe (either financially, politically or religiously) that they were willing to completely uproot their lives and come to an unknown wilderness outpost to start their lives over. From these earliest foundations, the concepts of self-reliance and a healthy suspicion of government have been intricately woven into the culture of the United States.

Barack Obama cuts against the grain of this basic underpinning of American society, exuding the attitude and, more importantly, the BELIEF that the solution for VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING (economic conditions, healthcare, personal responsibility, etc.) begins and ends with government.

Personally, I reject this premise with every fiber of my body. I believe the LEAST amount of government is the BEST amount of government. While I have no problem supporting Obama on issues with which I agree, for the most part my beliefs are diametrically opposed to his, and feel his vision of America will destroy the country I call home.

As such, on most issues, I will fight to defeat the Obama agenda, and can only pray that he is neutered in 2010, and amputated in 2012.

That, and the national debt is $38,000+- per US citizen, and the unfunded government obligations are another $192,000+- per US citizen. Many US citizens will never work, are retired, or are past their prime working years. And the debt grows every minute. And the economic poo has yet to hit the fan.

So my young children's share of federal government spending is many times $230,000 each. This does not include state debt (we live in California which would have been shut down long ago if it was a company).

Yet Obama's solution to the fiscal crisis is to spend spend spend and (hidden) tax tax tax.

And just wait for the inheritance tax limitations to sunset in 2010. Funny how that never gets discussed in the media. For us Americans, Your government can't afford to let your children (or you) get an inheritance after 2010

We simplly can't afford Obama's policies, no matter how many times the mainstream media tells us the recession is over (lol).

Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by RileyDog
oh my...........pursuit of happiness is the Declaration of Independence.

Preamble:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Art I, Sec. 8:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/welfare
the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/well-being
the state of being happy, healthy, or prosperous

I think someone could reasonably argue that the Constitution provides for healthcare.
OK you got me. Wrong document. BUT, "We the people" is not the government. You quoted the preamble and yet it does not say what the government is supposed to do. That comes later in the Constitution.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
One thing is quite obvious, we have a communication problem. Yes, get back to the subject, please. Or, you could just scan the GD forum for all the threads that have covered this subject thorougly.
Bluejay, Your attitude is not becoming based on many of your past posts. Having a bad day?
I don't believe many people here would accuse Lenticular of insulting you or having a communications problem.

(Re-read his posts and quote correctly.)

Now, down to the subject matter:

I think there is a knee-jerk reaction from the Republican Party regarding BO's election. My normal Republican friends who I consider moderately conservative, have been raging on BO and his background, making crude and unusual jokes and spreading misinformation. The man has been in office less than a year, all the problems attributed to him cannot possibly be of his creation. I fear Republicans are giving the man too much credit for his abilities and powers to change things.
Do I question his affliates? Certainly, any sane person would. He certainly doesn't have a "lilly white" (no pun intended) list of associates. A person is surely shaped by his peers, but he has also risen above them and I believe he should be treated with respect for the position he has attained despite his history. Walk a mile in his shoes before you criticize him for the path he took to get where he is presently.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lenticular
Comments like that are just so pointless.
I said "surely" he has got to be better than the last one simply to act as a catalyst to get a discussion going.
I didn't actually say that I thought that (Though!).
You are just perpetuatiing the myth that you are set in your ways and not willing to be open to discussion.
Try (if you can) to explain why he isn't good for the country.

My weak and feeble mind might just be able to comprehend some of your erudite thoughts on the subject.
bluejay said if you think he is better than the last one. He didnt say that you did he used the word "IF".

Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
All people can think about are lower taxes at all costs. I hear this all the time...I am in the education field.

The problem is that everything costs money. Roads, schools, healthcare, prisons, wars, etc.

The GOP is behind spending money to fund wars and prisons.

Problem is we cut healthcare, roads and education to fund the wars and prisons.

We are stuck with no healthcare, bad roads (deadly bridges) and bad schools.

In the end our next generation gets to face death in war or a stay in prison. The rest will too stupid to look beyond their own greed and they will only vote for lower taxes!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by serotta
I think there is a knee-jerk reaction from the Republican Party regarding BO's election. My normal Republican friends who I consider moderately conservative, have been raging on BO and his background, making crude and unusual jokes and spreading misinformation. The man has been in office less than a year, all the problems attributed to him cannot possibly be of his creation. I fear Republicans are giving the man too much credit for his abilities and powers to change things.
Did you forget how many Democrats accused Bush of being responsible for the 9/11 attacks. (Do you honestly believe W was smart enough to do something like that? He couldn't even walk and chew a pretzel) He was only in office for 9 months. So by democrat standards, someone is responsible for what they do only months into office. And wasn't he the one preaching "Change" to get elected. What has changed? Can't even close Gitmo now? Name one thing he has tried to do that hasn't backfired solely for him being irresponsible & nonchalant?

How bout calling that police dept. stupid? Losing the bid for the Olympics. Bailouts. Healthcare. He's had his hand in all and all have failed.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by K-Mac Attack
All people can think about are lower taxes at all costs. I hear this all the time...I am in the education field.

The problem is that everything costs money. Roads, schools, healthcare, prisons, wars, etc.

The GOP is behind spending money to fund wars and prisons.

Problem is we cut healthcare, roads and education to fund the wars and prisons.

We are stuck with no healthcare, bad roads (deadly bridges) and bad schools.
That explains alot. Teachers unions were all for BO. Down here, we're trying to figure out how we are going to have longer school days and shorter summers when we laid off a good many of our teachers.

Oh and let me remind you the Dems were all for going to war also. Now that it's "cool" to be "anti-American" they act like they knew nothing, were mislead and didn;t know about waterboarding. All claiming this have been proven to be LIARS. "THEY LIE!"

Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st4x4
Did you forget how many Democrats accused Bush of being responsible for the 9/11 attacks. (Do you honestly believe W was smart enough to do something like that? He couldn't even walk and chew a pretzel) He was only in office for 9 months. So by democrat standards, someone is responsible for what they do only months into office. And wasn't he the one preaching "Change" to get elected. What has changed? Can't even close Gitmo now? Name one thing he has tried to do that hasn't backfired solely for him being irresponsible & nonchalant?

How bout calling that police dept. stupid? Losing the bid for the Olympics. Bailouts. Healthcare. He's had his hand in all and all have failed.
Can't argue with you and the points you made. It's always politics as usually, but I get the feeling this country and the Rep's in general are more into crucifying this President than most that have preceded him.
(just for a point of reference, I'm a card carrying Rep., that has held elected public offices (local and county only).

Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I try not to choose a side. I try to pick the best candidate. Not one person I voted for made it to office. The problem with BO is he came in with people NEEDING a change. Economy is low, Morale is low, unemployment is high and alot of people put their faith on him and his campaign promises. He hasnt delivered, people are still hurting and I fear it is going to get worse.

Quick Reply: Obama...what's the problem with him ?