Dog Potty Training - Tips Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dog Potty Training - Tips Please

I've got a Pure Blood/Registered Mini Daushound that I'm housesitting for...basically a Dog Rent-To-Own plan.

little background. Dog is 9-10 months old, kennel broken, usually sat by himself for 8-10 hours in his kennel. Dog was released in the house for 1-2 hours before bed, and had limited access to a 4x8 fenced backyard for short time periods.

My buddy is 25 and I think he bought the dog to pickup chicks...nevermind he was single, military and in no position to handle a dog...hence the dog sitting in the kennel for 8+ hours a day.

I'm dogsitting the dog (Texas) for 1-2 months. After that time, my buddy will decide if he wants him back. Considering he hasn't called, nor even offered to pay for the dogs food/supplies...I'm 99% certain I own him now.

1 Big problem. Dog isn't housebroken. Little **** likes to go and hide to ****/**** in my house.
I haven't done this in almost 20 yrs. So I'm a bit rusty.

What I've done to date...and results:
Puppy Pads - almost worthless. dog doesn't recognize what they're for.

Rubbing Nose in Poop/**** - pretty damn effective...problem is, he is getting better at hiding it.
in fact, I'm fairly certain the dog doesn't understand what Outside is. He refuses to go outside unless we've been out there 30+ minutes.
Rolled up newspaper - Pop him on the butt everytime he potties inside. When he sees the newspaper, he runs for the door.

Overall, I'm getting there. It's been 2 weeks now and things are better...but damnit. It got old the first night.

any suggestions?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alot of people will say crate train, ect...

When I got my pup, I made sure I took her out every couple hours to the back yard. I would take her out, she would ****, then bring her right back inside. Anytime I saw her start sniffing around or about to squat, I would go grab her before the deed and take her out again.

It took her about 4 days to figure out that pee and poo were meant for the backyard only.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 PM

I've been trying to do that. I've got 10 month twins and my wife broke her ankle...so my time is pretty divided.

Plus the dog is very sneaky. I thought cats were stealthy...they got nothing on this guy.

Guess I'll just keep it up. It's working, but just slowly. Going to have to buy some Disenfectant spray if it lasts much longer

Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing that will help is keep all bedroom doors shut so you can concentrate on the little sneaky bugger.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM
And you should post some pictures of the little fella

Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
My Jack Russell is sneaky too she does fine at night (in her crate) we go to bed about 10-11 and I get up about 4AM to go to work and she goes right outside. But the thing is when im off everytime I get up off of the couch or get close to the door she runs to it wanting to go outside, she loves to be outside, she knows to go potty outside but she still will sneak into the kitchen and **** under the table by the wall where she thinks we wont see it.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Suspended
The little chihuahua Levi took about 2 weeks of pushing before he got the idea, but still can't be trusted by himself. We've had him for 4 months now or so.. Either way, sounds like you're on the right path, it'll be over soon.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM
When you feed the dog---immediately take it outside. When the dog drinks---immediately take it outside. When the dog begins to sniff---well, you get the picture. I have labs, and when they were pups, they would get this kind of "butt wiggle when they were close to going---Take the dog out every 1/2 hour to hour, and praise the heck out of it when it goes outdoors. You have to stay on top off this for quite a while, and remember, just like kids, they can have relapses, too.

TSC

Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I'll agree with referee54, in a nutshell...any change in the dog's activity, ie: gets up, eats, plays, etc, as SOON as it is done, take it outside. It shouldn't take long when you are consistent, and that is important...consistency

Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I adopted a three year old black lab who went in the house when I first got him for about two weeks but as bad as it sounds you need to get on them and make them realize it is bad and they shouldnt do it you should grab them and try to get there nose as close to there accident as you can, even if you need to discipline them but if you do get on them do it with newspaper and never your hand because you dont want them to be scared of your hand when you pet them, then tie them up outside and leave them there for an hour or so even if they want come in. Then when they come in just play with them and make them feel like your his companion so he becomes attached to you, take him everywhere you go even if its just in the truck going somewhere because then when you need to get on them when they do something wrong they realize they did something to make you mad and they will stop.. as wierd as that sounds it works I got another black lab/german shepard mix about 8 months after I got my first dog and did they same thing and he pissed and crapped in the house I think a total of 4 times and I did what I said and he after that he never did it again. And if you dont feel comfortable doing that cause I know some people dont like to discipline there animals then when you let him outside and as soon as he goes to the bathroom bring him in afterwords immediately because then he will start to think that ok when I go outside I go to the bathroom and thats what I do out here then I go inside afterwords. I did that in a combination with my other thing and it worked awesome for my puppy, I have never used a crate.

Last edited by aPINCHbetter90; 08-27-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm speaking second hand, but friends of mine got 3 puppies over the course of a couple years. All were crated when they left for work and the first thing they did when they got home was take the dog out. If they'd leave the house for a little bit, the dogs got crated then let out as soon as they got home so they never even got used to using the carpet. Every once in a while the female will become a spiteful little bitch and crap in the bedroom (she KNOWS where the doggy door is ) but that's really the only problem I've had the many times I sat for them. Good luck and post up some pics of the little guy

Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by 05FX4SCREW
I'm speaking second hand, but friends of mine got 3 puppies over the course of a couple years. All were crated when they left for work and the first thing they did when they got home was take the dog out. If they'd leave the house for a little bit, the dogs got crated then let out as soon as they got home so they never even got used to using the carpet. Every once in a while the female will become a spiteful little bitch and crap in the bedroom (she KNOWS where the doggy door is ) but that's really the only problem I've had the many times I sat for them. Good luck and post up some pics of the little guy
thats the way we do it! We leave the house at 7 in the morning get back in at 5 let her outside she does her job then around 10 every nite she goes to her kennel wanting to go to bed next morning same thing. Got her at 4 months old a pissed in the house once and that was it. She loves her kennel when she gets in trouble thats the first place she goes. We can tell her "go get in your house" and she will run right in there.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM

thx guys. we've been watching him really close...and he is sorta associating the yard with business now.

he got into trouble today though. Kids were on the floor and he decided to "play" with my cats. It was like watching Fast N' the Furious. Dogs and cats doing powerslides through the kitchen, up the stairs and then back...unfortunately they ran over a kid.
he has 1 of my cats "treed" under the couch right now. she is so gonna kick his ***, and I'm going to let it happen.

both of my cats are bigger than he is and weigh at least 3-4 lbs more

oh well. Here are the pics of Texas

Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM

Nice dachshund!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM

If you figure it out be sure to post how. I told the wife if this Chi isn't trained by 8 months old she's going away!

Quick Reply: Dog Potty Training - Tips Please