Barak Obama and Jimmy Carter Somalia and Iran

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barak Obama and Jimmy Carter Somalia and Iran

Anybody remember Jimmy Carter (Democrat elected President in 1976)?
As I watch Obama and his 'handling' of the Pirate Crisis, I cannot help but think of Jimmy Carter and the Iran Hostage Crisis.
The American people did get the hostages released. Turns out the solution was very simple. All we had to do was elect Ronald Reagan as President in 1980. Reagan also happened to be a Republican.
I see so many similarities between the Carter era and the era we are now in. Carter was a very peaceful man. He aslo claimed to be very spiritual. I believe he was a Southern Baptist. Anyway, Carter took a 'wait and see approach' to resolve the hostage situation. I believe one military op to rescue the hostages was attempted and failed. The Iranians released the hostages after Reagan was elected, but before he was sworn in.
I truly believe the Iranians released the hostages because they feared Reagan's response. I believe Reagan would have solved the problem with air strikes.
Carter left us in a deep recession, high unemployment, and unbelievable interest rates. Carter also set the stage for Reagan's era of prosperity.
Luckily, Carter was a one term president.
The 2008 Presidential Election is over. We all need to think about 2012.

BTW, negotiating with terrorists is always a bad idea. The pirates holding the Captain of The MAERSK ALABAMA have summoned other pirates to bring their hostage ships into the area as a show of force against the USS BAINBRIDGE. They are holding about 54 hostages from a handful of other countries. We truly have 'tribesmen' willing to face off against a Nuclear Destroyer.
The USS BAINBRIDGE (DDG-96) carries 2 attack helicopters on board. She has enough arms to end this conflict in seconds.
What if we let all the pirate ships gather in the open Ocean and than mount an offensive?
Yes, we will likely lose some hostages. If we make sure no pirate leaves alive, will we ultimately save more lives?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally, the rest of the country will forgive the great state of Georgia, because Obama will make Jimmy Carter look good.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an opinion on this matter: We should invade their country, kill their leader, and convert them to christianity.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Graphics Contributor
Interesting comparison.

Huckabee '12.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedFord150
Anybody remember Jimmy Carter (Democrat elected President in 1976)?
As I watch Obama and his 'handling' of the Pirate Crisis, I cannot help but think of Jimmy Carter and the Iran Hostage Crisis.
The American people did get the hostages released. Turns out the solution was very simple. All we had to do was elect Ronald Reagan as President in

Hmmm.~~ Look up arms for hostages. Ronald Reagan was making deals before he got elected

Ofcourse, that's hear say.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Tumba;3678514]Hmmm.~~ Look up arms for hostages. Ronald Reagan was making deals before he got elected

Not sure I like your choice of emoticon.

Do you know how to have a simple conversation without getting personal?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by FX41
I have an opinion on this matter: We should invade their country, kill their leader, and convert them to christianity.
Samolia has no leader or Government to overthrow.

Maybe we could talk France or someone to go in an take care of that country for the world since thier not doing anything with Iraq or Afganistan?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Not sure I like your choice of emoticon.

Do you know how to have a simple conversation without getting personal?
I didn't realize that was a personal attack.
The emoticon I used wasn't intended to be abrasive, other than the fact, there were some shady deals made during that time period.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tumba
I didn't realize that was a personal attack.
The emoticon I used wasn't intended to be abrasive, other than the fact, there were some shady deals made during that time period.

Maybe he thought meant ***?

I don't think anyone really know what means.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
Maybe he thought meant ***?

I don't think anyone really know what means.

I didn't intend for it to appear that way.
I do know that after the Reagan Documents were released, some disappeared not long afterward.
There was one document that I had bookmarked, and can't even find now.
but I'll leave this thread for casual stuff.
I didn't like Carter either, I was in his Army. He didn't do well, IMO. But Ronnie stepped up to the plate.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is a llama, not a donkey, I mean Obama.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Bainbridge is not a nuclear destroyer. It is an AEGIS destroyer though and like you said, more than capable of handling the situation.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, Reagan had a lot of deals that were hush-hush. Ollie North can tell you about that. He won't, he's the famous "Mute Marine", but he could.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with an operation to take out the terrorists, but not with cruise missles and torpedoes from the Bainbridge. Navy SEAL's should be used to infiltrate all the ships at once to neutralize targets, and liberate the hostages. Terrorists cannot be negotiated with, only killed.

Take the Chinese for example. They distract hostage-takers and shoot them point blank in the back of the head. They don't waste time with negotiations.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Aegis kicks ***. Definitely not a nuke destroyer. It has seven gas turbine engines in it. Four for propulsion and three for electrical I believe.

Quick Reply: Barak Obama and Jimmy Carter Somalia and Iran