Calling all carpenters....I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Calling all carpenters....I'm stumped

I am finally taking some time away from my business and doing some things at home, here is what I got going.

1-Removing the drop ceiling from the kitchen.
2-Replacing all the cabinets/counter tops with new.
3-Removing the pop corn ceiling and adding can lights/accent lighting.
4-Bumping out a closet (actually making the closet a hair smaller) so I can get a bigger fridge in (can't get all the liquor in it now...lol)

But I am stumped on a few things...

For the drop down ceiling that is coming out I need some advice on what to do with the part of the ceiling that was dropped down because of it.

Not sure on what I want to do. As I said the new kitchen ceiling will not have that pop corn crap on it so how would I transition between the two? I know I can just leave it how it is but I think it will look funny...

Here is want I am talking about

Also what do ya think about 42" cabinets with 8' ceilings? I would like to go this route as it will cover up the microwave exhaust with out boxing it out. But a problem with that is if I don't get rid of the part of the drop that the cabinet is under now it will have to be a shorter cabinet and slide up along it. (seen in the second and last pic on the left.)

Last edited by blackjack8900; 04-08-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:06 PM
First you need to find out if that is a structual beam covered by drywall.If it is it would be costly to raise above the cieling.if it is not pull it all down scrape all the popcorn crap, use some durabond where the false beam was put a skim coat over entire cieling.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7screw
First you need to find out if that is a structual beam covered by drywall.If it is it would be costly to raise above the cieling.if it is not pull it all down scrape all the popcorn crap, use some durabond where the false beam was put a skim coat over entire cieling.
Yeah, nothing loading bearing about it. The thing is I would have to scrap the WHOLE upstairs. I don't really want to go there so that was what I was asking on how I could transition between popcorn and flat...

Old 04-08-2009, 11:40 PM
If it is not load bearing just tear it all down, scrape the popcorn with a drywall trowel. You will have to sand after you scrape it.Mud the area thats exposed with durabond.If you dont have any experience with mudding drywall I am sure you can find a drywall dude to do it for a reasonable price.Those guys are amazing.I hired a guy to put a "knockdown" down in my basement.He did the entire cieling including material for $350.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Popcorn over the flat part?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7screw
If it is not load bearing just tear it all down, scrape the popcorn with a drywall trowel. You will have to sand after you scrape it.Mud the area thats exposed with durabond.If you dont have any experience with mudding drywall I am sure you can find a drywall dude to do it for a reasonable price.Those guys are amazing.I hired a guy to put a "knockdown" down in my basement.He did the entire cieling including material for $350.

Yeah, I own my own Home improvement business so I have plenty of experience with this kind of stuff. I just never really ran into this kind of situation before. I just got down with 1,200sf basement that I hug the rock and mudded it up.....it was not the funnest thing in the world to do but it was work.

Originally Posted by Zaairman
Popcorn over the flat part?
I would but I am trying to get rid of this ****! lol. I redid the baths and took it out of there so I was planing on getting it out of here to. I could but I found out that it is hard to get it to match to the old stuff, texture wise... Also IMO it looks 10x with out.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 AM
IMO scrape off the pop corn on both cielings,sand to remove what is left... dont sand too deep you dont want to see the paper!! skim coat the whole thing.If it still looks like crap do a knockdown.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I hate the stuff too, but you said you didn't want to get rid of it, so...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 AM
instead of transitioning from flat to popcorn, how bout just knocking the popcorn down in the kitchen, sand it, paint it, or scrape it off, and use that paint/sand mixture with a wire roller, and itll have a bit of texture look to it, but a nice transition, and about that beam, if you say its not load bearing then rip it down, but i would have to say that if its a 2x8 running thru there then most likely its there for a reason, i blew out a wall like that in my kitchen a couple months ago(load bearing) but instead of the 2x8's that were in there, i just ripped them out and ran 2x6's back in, and just framed it out, looks fine.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Im not sure if im tracking this thread all together, but if I am maybe my answer will help.

I was watching HGTV awhile! back and seen them take a fiberglass molded piece that was structured to look like a massive beam of wood. It was awesome man would have costed over 10G for the real thing but it was just a cover up to fit something like that drop you have.

To be honest I think they said they got it online. Maybe find you one and slap that over top the drop something that will match the new cabinets and floors? I dunno

Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Nice kitchen you have....lol

Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
IMO, Pull down the beam like you said. And scrape everything. It will look better, look larger and add some value.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:17 AM
if it isn't load bearing, then drop the beam, and get rid of the popcorn in both rooms .. it will be worth the work. It will open the kitchen up, and give you an even flow between the rooms ..

you can always texture the ceiling with a simple medallion stamp texture. simple, quick, and no sanding necessary, especially with durabond .. it will set up in 15 - 20 minutes, and you can paint it the same day.

Quick Reply: Calling all carpenters....I'm stumped