juvenile delinquent next door

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question juvenile delinquent next door

Might as well see what you guys think about this. My wife and I are wondering what to do about the kid in the house next to us. Lately, there has been alot of kids at his house while his Mom is gone. They are in the back yard, smoking dope, cigarettes, and practicing their num-chucks(sp?). There are usually 6-8 teen-agers there from 1pm until 5pm when his Mom gets home. We have had some vandalism recently in the neighborhood too. The kids hung out there all summer, and I hoped they would go away when school started, but it is actually worse. They never seem to be at school. It's to the point where we don't like to even let our dogs out when those kids are outside. We haven't spoken to the Mom, yet. We are afraid that this kid will retaliate in some way if he finds out that we have been watching. I don't need this type of activity next door, as we are expecting a baby in February, and don't want to have to worry about what's going on near our back yard when we aren't home. I've been writing down license plate numbers and descriptions of the kids lately. I know this sounds paranoid, but I am concerned for the safety of my neighborhood. We think the kids stole some medical supplies that my wife needs that were delivered to our house last week. When should we confront the Mom about this activity? I would like to tape his activities, but I wouldn't be able to hide what I was doing. The only way to see him and his friends is from our deck, no window to conveniently use. Any advice out there? Thanks

Old 09-25-2000, 03:39 PM
Unhappy

If you complain to the kid's mom, I'm sure he'll retaliate in some way. Most delinquents do. The best deal is just to have a camcorder ready and maybe secretly video the kids smokin dope. That way you'll have some evidence. Try calling the kid's school annomously and report the kid skipping.
Get with your other neighbors and try to start a neighborhood watch program of some kind. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2000, 04:46 PM
Call a cop; 'course, that'll only work if their are a lot of neighbors, and he doesn't know which one called. It's spelled 'nunchaku'.

Old 09-25-2000, 05:48 PM
I will appologize for them even though they're too young to get it. I feel bad because I was the same way to a neihbor of mine. He was an old grump, and we thought he was purposely being mean to us. But turns out I'm sure, he felt just the way you did. But I never smoked dope. Just, we were always loud, and damaging his prize lawn. However, he did tell our parents, and my old man didn't hesitate to break a switch off the plumb tree. Sadly, some parents (and kids) aren't like that anymore. I'd agree that getting the school involved is a good idea. Keeping your family out of it is best. School's have security and can take juvenile's away. Just explain to the school police, it needs to be discrete or accidental, like campus surveylance or something.

Old 09-25-2000, 06:25 PM
Lightbulb

Why not initiate some sort of friendly relationship with them? Seriously, invite the boy's mother over sometime and visit, or just start BSing with them when they're outside. Just be casual and ask what the knucklehead's doing all day. Maybe next time he's outside with his buddies, strike up a conversation with them. You can't always be home and you shouldn't have to live in fear. If you can stay on good terms with your neighbors, you might ensure the safety of your home, etc. A guy I used to work with had a brother-in-law with some delinquents in his neighborhood in a semi-rural area. He made a point to stay on good terms with everyone, helped out some of the little turds on occasion when car trouble arose, etc. His was one of the only mailboxes not vandalized and his animals were left alone. I figure if the kids perceive you as friendly, they'll leave you alone. If they think you're an a**hole (see: George W. Bush), they may go out of their way to get on your nerves. Diplomacy may be the best route here.

Old 09-25-2000, 08:44 PM
I go threw the same thing or went threw the same thing. I just catch one of the brothers (since they both are in it together) and tell them you guy's are getting a little out of hand and it getting a little to much and I know you want to vent a little but.... Parking in my driveway really got smoke coming out of my head. If they know that you are getting upset they don't want the police to come. If you really want to get on the down low and get some action (had to do this once to) just go and file a complaint with the city. They will scope out the house and you won't even know when they are doing it. I'm sure it depends on the city you live in. I didn't approach the parents bec they looked even way more off the wall then the kids. The problem is the parents don't care. Wow, I though I was the only one that delt with this crap. Since action was taken the house across the street from me don't look like a crack house anymore and they are actually friendly to a point. The good ol wave.

Old 09-26-2000, 01:16 PM
I suggest you take up Paintball. Think of the fun you will have poppin them with paint! Set your gun velocity way up (say 300 PSI)and pick a real nice color. They will be scared of you. A position you want to be in. And their Mom will know they have been up to something when she does the wash.

Old 09-26-2000, 06:01 PM
As a high school teacher and a parent, I say do not hesitate to do something. Perhaps if they get busted now while they are young, there is time to save them from a terrible life. Maybe Mom doesn't really know, or maybe she is just in denial. Regardless, someone should care enough to do something, and that often means taking them down so they can get some help. I do understand your concerns about "pay backs" and the safety of your family. The school and the cops can probably deal with this and protect your anonymity. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-26-2000, 09:36 PM
I'll have to agree with Kenster on this one. Nip it in the bud (pun partly intended) and you may save the family some grief down the road.

I had a situation a few years ago where a neighborhood kid was breaking into cars at night (appartments, car ports). He got a lot of stuff and even hit my car twice! I was so pi$$ed off, I decided to wire my car and see if I could catch him. Well, I did, and I wasn't sorry. Turns out he had a bad speed habit and his mother was in denial (FULLY!) because she had many other family issues plaguing her at the same time (I knew of some so I know she wasn't BSing me). The kid went to a work camp for about a year, and he is now somewhat clean-cut and holding down a job. I don't know if it will last, but at least he's trying to clean up.

Do the right thing. Even if the kid hates you for life and vandalizes your house, your conscience will tell you you've taken the high road...

------------------
Tom Kenney
tomk@bearcomp.com
tom@fluxtech.com

My truck, Sparky, is a 1992 F-150 XLT, 4x4 SC ShortBed, 302 EFI, E4OD, 3.55 LS, silver-on-black two-tone

MODS: K&N filter, Rancho steering damper

WISH LIST: 4.10 gears, shell, GT40P engine

Old 09-26-2000, 11:44 PM
Talking

Call it F150 karma, but Mom came home today while all kids were there!!! You haven't seen 6 teenage boys move so quickly and quietly!! Like others have said, there are other issues (Dad recently left, moved in with another lady only 3 blocks away), and the kid is acting out. I am definately calling the school next time I see them out when they should be in school. Thanks for everyone's support!! I know I wasn't an angel in high school, and did my share of not so good things, but I know I had more respect for others than what this kid has shown for authority.

Old 09-27-2000, 12:51 AM
If it is in the Middle of the day call the Police as well as there school. I work in a school district and if this sort of thing happens with any of our students the principal won't hesitate to round up some police and go over to the house personally.

Look at it this way, they have broken 3 laws.
possesion of an illegal substance
possesion of an illegal weapon
Trunacy
Not to mention the possible sale and distribution of those drugs.

If they are young and doing this just imagine for a moment your child growing up with that activity going on next door. If you handle it through the school your neighbor will never know it was you that informed the authorities. Also be a little friendly and they won't expect a thing.

Snow

Old 09-30-2000, 09:38 PM
It sounds like these kids know what they are dealing with (the dope, the law, etc...). That's what made them scatter when MOM came home. They KNEW what could happen.

I must say I am guilty of being the same way when I was young.

Paranoia usually goes hand-in-hand with these activities. Find a way to maintain a good relationship with the kids, but make them as uncomfortable as possible. Once they realize they cannot be comfortable smoking dope and raising he**, they will probably at least find another place to party.

You live next to them, and the POLICE show up, they will be able to narrow it down to who blew the whistle within a few houses. They will probably retaliate.

I am the type of person that, when I find scratches on my truck, I better have been the one who put them there. Handprints **** me off enough.

I think calling the school is a good idea.

Just my $.02.

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 09-30-2000).]

Old 10-01-2000, 12:28 AM
Unhappy

All too often the parents now have a "hands off" approach to raising children. Your neighbor may not be that way, but her kid's friends might be. If I would have pulled that crap, my dad would have knock me in the head, and then would have grounded me, cuffed me again, and made me do push-ups, or something like that. And my dad was an excellent father. He didn't abuse any of us, but he kept you from crossing the line. Well I used that same formula with my kids, but some of their friends did whatever they pleased. Bottom line, the safety of your family and your property is the most important thing. So the next time they gather and get loud, politely ask them to quit, because one of those kids might get the hint, and even help quiet the others. If that fails, call the cops, or else the problem may never go away. Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by anteater (edited 10-01-2000).]

Old 10-01-2000, 09:45 AM
(post deleted at the suggestion of the Secret Service)

[This message has been edited by Y2K 7700 4x4 (edited 10-02-2000).]

Old 10-02-2000, 12:28 AM
I spoke with the neighbors who live on the other side of this punk. They said they saw the kids dividing what may have been meth up and seperating into vials. This is alot more than just unsupervised teens. I will not put up with drug dealing in my neighbor's yard. I wish it was just a couple of kids smoking cigarettes after school, but appears to be more serious. I am going to report the suspicious activity to police next time I see a large group. I am able to get home and not make my presence known to them. BTW, I know there are police officers on this board, what do you guys recommend as the appropriate way to handle this? What type of documentation or evidence do I need, and what type of response can I anticipate?

Quick Reply: juvenile delinquent next door