Insane Government - Banning Small Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insane Government - Banning Small Motorcycles

This is insane. If it continues and they get their way, I will be unable to buy new parts for my boys race bike in the future. I'm a member of ktmtalk.com and some members are already reporting local shops pulling all bikes and bike parts 85cc and below.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...bikes/?apage=2

Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
That's our elected leaders for you, trying to outlaw stupidity. I got my first dirtbike when I was 6 years old. I can't remember ever trying to chew on the battery.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Here's a link to a petition that was started on thumpertalk.com The more to sign the better! THANKS!!!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/thumpertalk

Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Suspended
thats the stupidest thing i have ever read or heard of.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
things are just getting ridiculous with the government now...

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
What a joke!!! Like they can't find something better to do.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing but a bunch of broken tools in D.C. anymore.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
That is ****ing insane! I guess my little boys won't have dirtbikes when I have kids.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
It's almost funny how rediculous this is. They're taking away dirtbikes cause the battery has lead in it. Are they going to take away wireless Xbox and Playstation controllers next because they have batteries in them?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by kansasflareside
It's almost funny how rediculous this is. They're taking away dirtbikes cause the battery has lead in it. Are they going to take away wireless Xbox and Playstation controllers next because they have batteries in them?

Funny thing is the race bikes don't even have batteries in them. From what I've read (and there's a lot of reading) it has to do with solder in the electrical connections among other parts. I can't begin to think what a lose in revenue this will bring with it. Perfect timing in an already unstable economy. Here's a quote from one article.

"The regulations put in place by this act prohibit the sale or distribution of any product intended for the use of children—child meaning anyone 12-and-under—that has a lead content higher than 600 parts/million. As we found out, some parts like: cable ends, engine cases, brake rotors, or battery terminals contain trace amounts of lead—enough to make them an illegal product as of next Tuesday. There is but one way to keep dealers across the nation from having to remove all units, 85cc and below, from their showroom floor; an immediate exclusion or stay period of the powersports industry from the CPSIA."

Check this out. I hope this link works.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...?id=305&scid=8

Last edited by mxracer49; 02-10-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49
Funny thing is the race bikes don't even have batteries in them. From what I've read (and there's a lot of reading) it has to do with solder in the electrical connections among other parts. I can't begin to think what a lose in revenue this will bring with it. Perfect timing in an already unstable economy. Here's a quote from one article.

"The regulations put in place by this act prohibit the sale or distribution of any product intended for the use of children—child meaning anyone 12-and-under—that has a lead content higher than 600 parts/million. As we found out, some parts like: cable ends, engine cases, brake rotors, or battery terminals contain trace amounts of lead—enough to make them an illegal product as of next Tuesday. There is but one way to keep dealers across the nation from having to remove all units, 85cc and below, from their showroom floor; an immediate exclusion or stay period of the powersports industry from the CPSIA."
I didnt even think of that, that the majority of dirt bikes are kick-strart, not electrical start. This just makes it even more rediculous. I guess all the kids that were racing will have to start participating in team sports, where they'll sit on the bench cause they're too good, aka "everyone gets to play equal minutes."

Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
If the dems are "trying" to make people hate them, they are doing a good job.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I read about this new law a while back. Ridiculous if you ask me..

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Here's just 3 of the 5 minibikes I own and maintain. These are just the pitbikes. That doesn't include the race bikes. With this new law I won't be able to buy certain parts to maintain them. Now think about how many people like me are in the same situation. They even have adults that race these 110s. Nope, sorry can't buy parts. That bike is originally made for children under the age of 12.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

Is some of the "Change" everyone wanted?

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply: Insane Government - Banning Small Motorcycles