anyone use vonage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
Most cell phone providers have something like an signal amplifier or something that works like a mini tower you plug into your house ac that boost their cell signal. Call and ask. Some companies give them away, some sell them.
Worth a look.
Already checked, ain't happening. I have to drive 30 minutes in any direction to get any signal at all. Sucks hard, lol.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pickup Man
You need phone service for DSL.

Edit:

Last edited by Tumba; 01-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
thanks for all the replies, just another thought.....i have verizon dsl, do i even need a phone company? i was thinking of just using the cell phones instead of a landline....or do i need phone service for dsl to work?

jim
Not sure I understand...
If you have verizon dsl you already have a working phone line and just need to install filters to use phones on the same line.
If you want verizon dsl you need a working phone line first.

The only way to avoid a phone line when trying to get on the internet is either cable or satellite service as far as I know.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Already checked, ain't happening. I have to drive 30 minutes in any direction to get any signal at all. Sucks hard, lol.
That sucks so hard it blows.
Have you tried different cell phone service providers and different phones?
And you are saying you went to your cell phone service provider and asked about a home antenna or signal booster for your house?

I sounds like you need an unlocked Tri-band GSM cell phone and GSM service provider.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
You need phone service for DSL.
NOT any more!

Both AT&T and Verizon have to offer under FCC mandate "naked" DSL where you can get DSL without a phone!

It is not advertised but believe me - it is out there! My daughter has been ordering this from AT&T for over 10 months @ $19.99 for 1Mb/s DSL!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
NOT any more!

Both AT&T and Verizon have to offer under FCC mandate "naked" DSL where you can get DSL without a phone!

It is not advertised but believe me - it is out there! My daughter has been ordering this from AT&T for over 10 months @ $19.99 for 1Mb/s DSL!
Thats interesting. I've been trying to figure out how to get lower rates at a business. 4 phone lines, a toll free line, and dsl. There is also an unused cable tv line there. I've been trying to figure out a direction to go to lower cost. Does anyone here have experience in that area.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
Thats interesting. I've been trying to figure out how to get lower rates at a business. 4 phone lines, a toll free line, and dsl. There is also an unused cable tv line there. I've been trying to figure out a direction to go to lower cost. Does anyone here have experience in that area.
Originally I had 6 rolling phone lines unlimited calling and 8 voice mailboxes for around $450 per month thru Verizon along with 2 DSL lines (one to another location) for about $120 per month.
I ended up dropping the DSL to the office and switched to *** Cable (faster connection) @ $85 per month and they threw in 2 free phone lines for a year as part of a package deal for switching from verizon dsl.

So for a little over $500 per month I had 6 unlimited calling phone lines, business hi speed cable internet with 10 email mailboxes I think and 2 unlimited call local phone lines.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Right now I'm averaging about $400 I think. I pay so damn many bills I can't keep up. $120 sounds great.
At home I have cableynx and extended basic tv for about $90
Then cel phones that total about $250. two of the cels are iphones and 3 razors

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Right now I'm averaging about $400 I think. I pay so damn many bills I can't keep up. $120 sounds great.
At home I have cableynx and extended basic tv for about $90
Then cel phones that total about $250. two of the cels are iphones and 3 razors
I had to downsize and close my office.
I was paying for a total of 7 cell phones at one time @ $400+ monthly.
Office rent was $2,000 monthly.
Advertising was almost $800 monthly.
Just to name a few expenses along with the $500 monthly office phone and cable expenses...were killing me with so little coming in.

Now my business expenses from home are about $400 monthly for 2 cells and internet and full cable TV in 2 places.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Yea , everyones biz is hurting right now, I think it was the housing bubble that got you wasn't it.
With me it's just slowed a lot. But keeping kids up is killing me right now.
College is unbelieveable. The one that starts next year has been accepted to the school he wants. tuition and expenses is $34,000 per year. He has some good scholarships, but it still hurts with the economy the way it is.
Don't get me started on auto insurance. Damn I am down to seven autos. Becasue the oldest is on her own now. But I've got to buy one for my youngest to go to school in. He's been driving my truck, but it's getting a little old to commute in. I drove it today, the first time in a while. It now has 193,000 on it.
When I can I'm going to update the engine, a fellow member here has given me the fever. So it'll be getting a new engine soon.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Yea , everyones biz is hurting right now, I think it was the housing bubble that got you wasn't it.
Yep mostly tired of throwing money down the road with minimal return then add in family issues that needed 95% of my physical attention.
Priorities got rearranged for me for now.
The economy will be flushing around in the toilet for a while it seems.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
thanks for all the replies, just another thought.....i have verizon dsl, do i even need a phone company? i was thinking of just using the cell phones instead of a landline....or do i need phone service for dsl to work?

jim
No, no you don't need home phone service to get DSL to work. I have DSL service WITHOUT home phone service. Not cable internet, not satellite internet, DSL. I have great reception with my cell phone all over my property so I don't need a land line in addition to my cell phone. Besides, my cell phone does everything that my home phone does and I never get solicitors calling me on my mobile.

The key is to request what is called a metered line. This line is issued a phone number but has no calling plan associated with it. Each call is metered. If you connect a phone to this metered line and make calls you will be charged a premium price for each call, but if you are like me, you won't even own a home phone. I also have my satellite box hooked to the phone line so DishNetwork doesn't charge me the extra $5 per month for not having it connected to a phone line. Since the satellite box doesn't make calls, I'm not charged anything from the phone company.

Read #5 on this website which states exactly what I'm doing.
http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-VOIP-Service-Provider

ox

Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
That sucks so hard it blows.
Have you tried different cell phone service providers and different phones?
And you are saying you went to your cell phone service provider and asked about a home antenna or signal booster for your house?

I sounds like you need an unlocked Tri-band GSM cell phone and GSM service provider.
I have checked with every single cell provider, I am just screwed because of location. There just aren't any towers, and being the rural area (backwoods coal camp) that it is, nobody is in any hurry at all to put one up.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Oxlander
No, no you don't need home phone service to get DSL to work. I have DSL service WITHOUT home phone service. Not cable internet, not satellite internet, DSL. I have great reception with my cell phone all over my property so I don't need a land line in addition to my cell phone. Besides, my cell phone does everything that my home phone does and I never get solicitors calling me on my mobile.

The key is to request what is called a metered line. This line is issued a phone number but has no calling plan associated with it. Each call is metered. If you connect a phone to this metered line and make calls you will be charged a premium price for each call, but if you are like me, you won't even own a home phone. I also have my satellite box hooked to the phone line so DishNetwork doesn't charge me the extra $5 per month for not having it connected to a phone line. Since the satellite box doesn't make calls, I'm not charged anything from the phone company.

Read #5 on this website which states exactly what I'm doing.
http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-VOIP-Service-Provider

ox
Yep, you don't have to buy the actual phone service for dsl, but you do have to have it there so the dsl line can get the signal through. I was thinking last night that you should be able to just pay for the dsl service and not a phone service, and it seems that you can.
That's not offered in my area, either, as you have to be within a certain range of a LOC for dsl, I can't believe that we have cable.
Old Dogg™, the reason that you need the filters is because the phone line itself will cause feedback and disrupt the dsl signal, and without them, your conection possibly won't work.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I have checked with every single cell provider, I am just screwed because of location. There just aren't any towers, and being the rural area (backwoods coal camp) that it is, nobody is in any hurry at all to put one up.

I showed Doggs post to my Sons that live with their Mother, I think they're going to check it out, but I haven't gotten a report yet.
Do you mean that you checked on it and a signal booster won't help, or that BF Egypt just can't have them?

Quick Reply: anyone use vonage?