Music download sites

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music download sites

I'll probably get flamed for beating a dead horse but I have a couple questions. I have all my music on a Palm Zire 31 but I broke the earphone receptor. I use the Palm for other applications such as geocaching, contacts, appointments and other stuff. That's fine but just can't listen to music. At least half of my music was downloaded from limewire but I don't trust it anymore, matter of fact I couldn't even get it to work, I wasn't using pro. Which brings me to my 1st question. What is a good site to download music that is safe, reliable etc. I was looking at MP3 Downloads Box unlimited access for $34.95. I don't know if that's each month or a one time payment, and if I still have to pay for each song.

Second, can someone recommend a good player that's easy to use, download, good quality and won't empty my wallet. My wife bought me a Sony walkman NWZ-B105F USB. It was supposed to charge from dead in 120 min. But it was still charging seven hours later. I never got one single song on that POS and I have always liked Sony. The manual that came with it was two small pages that left me clueless. Appreciate any advice from someone in the know. Thanks

Edit: I did a search but the info I found was old.

Last edited by wrench007; 12-26-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer Amazon. The songs and albums are purchased, and no DRM or monthly fees are required. I use my cellphone for a personal mp3 player, and I use a thumb drive to store and play them in my truck.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Suspended
my friends use something that starts with a T i think. its supposed to be where you cant be tracked and it seems to work really good. i just buy music now because i dont need extra programs on my computer.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Limewire is one I see used alot. I'm not sure how legal it may be, plus it seems to tie up some of your internet resources.

Last edited by Tumba; 12-26-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: t
Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 AM
There's http://www.spiralfrog.com/ also. It's free and legal but you have to install it's download manager and it uses DRM.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1muddytruck
I prefer Amazon. The songs and albums are purchased, and no DRM or monthly fees are required. I use my cellphone for a personal mp3 player, and I use a thumb drive to store and play them in my truck.
+1 for Amazon. No electronic STDs to worry about, and no DRM stupidness.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:15 PM
You can also check out a Zune with a Zune pass subscription. $15 month, you get to keep 10 songs each month and download as many others as you can handle to 3 different computers and 3 different Zunes. If you have an xbox 360 you can stream the music from your computer to your xbox and essentially have an unlimited collection of music to your home stereo system (if the xbox is hooked up to it). MP3 format from Zune has no DRM and a lot, if not most, music is also available in MP3 on the Zune marketplace. So in essence you pay the $15 for a CD and get that music to keep as well as download and play a ton of other stuff. Depending on how much of an audiophile you are this can work out pretty well. I like that I can rotate my music a ton on my zune and get the new stuff when it comes out to try out. My wife loved that I could download a ton of Christmas music to play on the Xbox when folks were over yesterday.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/us...unepassfaq.htm

What are the benefits of a Zune Pass?
As long as your Zune Pass subscription is valid, you can:

Download an unlimited number of songs on up to three computers.
Play the songs an unlimited number of times.
Sync the downloaded songs an unlimited number of times with up to three Zune players.
Keep 10 songs every month for your permanent collection.
Songs that you download with your Zune Pass can't be burned to a CD unless you've bought them with your song credits. If you choose not to renew your Zune Pass after the subscription period ends, you won't be able to play the songs you've downloaded, though they will still appear in your Zune collection. Songs acquired using song credits are an exception: you can enjoy them indefinitely, even if your subscription lapses.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out http://www,warez-bb.org/. They have way more than music, but have alot of music. Limewire gives you viruses....booo!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I've always used limewire pro. Got a song the other day that had a virus. My zone alarms zapped it, then I ran adware to make sure everything was gone.

Going to try the one dirty posted when I get home. You say there are no viruses on there?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM
There's a chance of getting a virus/spyware/etc from any site or program that wants to give you free music under the table. I seldom trust any site that uses the word warez. Bit torrents are usually a better option.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:28 PM
thepiratebay.org

Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Torrents

IMO Use Utorrent and Torrent.to or piratebay.org.

If you are running xp MAKE SURE you install peerguardian.
If you are running Vista you will have to spend 6.95/month to use BTguard. Just google it and it is easy as pie to set up.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
I use frostwire and with all my security on the computer have not had one single problem. Just make sure you scan your computer daily with an antivirus and a spyware blocker like malwarebytes. That program rocks!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM
My 2 Cents

As a musician, for all of you STEALING MUSIC, you can eat a bowl of d|c|<s.
Someone spent a lot of time and money in a studio to produce that and you are stealing it plain and simple. Its no different than working for free.
That being said.......
I use Napster. For $15 a month you get unlimited music downloads and you can use three PCs and three MP3 players on one account. 90% of the downloads to a hard drive or player are free. If you want to burn a CD then it's $.99 a tune. additionally you can research the bios, watch videos and check out other artisits that may influenced you pick. You can even down load other peoples play lists.
I know E-Music offers DRM free downloads, and I think you get 15 songs a month for $15.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by malexander52
As a musician, for all of you STEALING MUSIC, you can eat a bowl of d|c|<s.
Someone spent a lot of time and money in a studio to produce that and you are stealing it plain and simple. Its no different than working for free.
That being said.......
I use Napster. For $15 a month you get unlimited music downloads and you can use three PCs and three MP3 players on one account. 90% of the downloads to a hard drive or player are free. If you want to burn a CD then it's $.99 a tune. additionally you can research the bios, watch videos and check out other artisits that may influenced you pick. You can even down load other peoples play lists.
I know E-Music offers DRM free downloads, and I think you get 15 songs a month for $15.
I agree with everything you said, except with Crapster. I don't like that unless you burn it to a CD, you're effectively renting the music from them. Cancel or quit paying the monthly fee, and you can't listen to your stuff anymore even if you purchased it from them. iTunes has its DRM issues, but at least I don't owe them anything a month for music I want to listen to on my PC. I can pick and choose stuff as I want it.

Quick Reply: Music download sites