Do you wear your seatbelt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1999, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raoul... NOW you tell me you were kidding! I already took a month's supply of Chill Pills!!! I'm now suffering from a severe case of shrinkage due to you!!

Old 12-17-1999, 11:29 PM
Red face

Dennis,

I am with Wildchild on this one. I where my seat belt, but I do not agree on the cost issue. Consider this:

How do you feel about the Trucks or SUV's that you are driving causing more injuries in an accident involving a car ?

I bet the same hospital administrators and accident investigators that you mentioned will tell you that a big bad Truck/SUV causes so many more injuries to even belted individuals in an accident.

So when I drive my car, I should have to pay higher rates because your big Truck/SUV bumps into my car and does minimal damage to your truck/SUV and causes major damage to my car ?

Remember all the insurance companies earlier this year stating that "We will need to raise the rates on Trucks and SUV's since they cause more physical damage along with more severe medical injuries".

You talk about rising personal costs. That is because everybody is sue happy nowadays. People sue for the stupidest things. They think it's a lottery to get big money fast

I also agree with Wildchild that insurance companies make great profits. When was the last time you heard your agent say "The company made an exorbitant profit margin this year so we are going to lower rates." Not, never, won't happen !!!

You mention about protecting your family. Me too, that is why my wife drives a BIG SUV.

99 EB Expy
94 Lightning
93 T-Bird SC

Old 12-17-1999, 11:29 PM
Red face

Dennis,

I am with Wildchild on this one. I where my seat belt, but I do not agree on the cost issue. Consider this:

How do you feel about the Trucks or SUV's that you are driving causing more injuries in an accident involving a car ?

I bet the same hospital administrators and accident investigators that you mentioned will tell you that a big bad Truck/SUV causes so many more injuries to even belted individuals in an accident.

So when I drive my car, I should have to pay higher rates because your big Truck/SUV bumps into my car and does minimal damage to your truck/SUV and causes major damage to my car ?

Remember all the insurance companies earlier this year stating that "We will need to raise the rates on Trucks and SUV's since they cause more physical damage along with more severe medical injuries".

You talk about rising personal costs. That is because everybody is sue happy nowadays. People sue for the stupidest things. They think it's a lottery to get big money fast

I also agree with Wildchild that insurance companies make great profits. When was the last time you heard your agent say "The company made an exorbitant profit margin this year so we are going to lower rates." Not, never, won't happen !!!

You mention about protecting your family. Me too, that is why my wife drives a BIG SUV.

99 EB Expy
94 Lightning
93 T-Bird SC

Old 12-18-1999, 12:34 AM
Thumbs up

I never used to wear one, but after several accidents and close calls I started. Now it is a habit and I feel really uncomfortable without it (seatbelt, that is - this is NOT a Depends commercial).

------------------
Mike Boardman '99 F150XLT 4X4 RC,FS,4.6,5spd,3.55LS,ORP,
Towing pkg,K&N GenII FIPK,FLowMaster,SUPERCHIP!,SnugLid,Luverne Nerf bars,
bug shield, DK Toreador Red.
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Old 12-20-1999, 07:30 AM
dennis: you said it yourself in the first para of your statement. the cost is driven up by unbelted and UNINSURED!!! people.
i don't think you'll find anyone on this board who doesn't think we should have insurance.
it's the lack of insurance coverage that drives up the cost of medical. but then this affects even those who go out and catch a cold and can't afford to pay for the meds so they goto the emerg. room and never pay the bill.
really dennis who is thinking me,me,me is it you always thinking of your pocketbook or me because i don't want to wear a belt. the fact is that every decision made in life involves someone getting their way and someone not. all people think of themselves and the personal impact when making a choice.
many unwritten implications in your statements dennis.
accident survivor's who are drunk..from before
unbelted and uninsured from now.
i guess stereotypically those who have wrecks but survive w/o the use of the belt are usually drunk.i have never been drunk when in an accident nor even had 1 drink.
those who don't wear belts usually don't have ins. i do have exc. ins on all my vehicles but i don't wear the belt.
have a nice day

Old 12-20-1999, 09:50 PM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
Wink

Put me down in the always section. The first few years of driving I never did. Being in the military changed that (see Fritz's post) so for the past 18 years I always do and whoever wants to ride along also does.

(A serious post started by Raoul? That's unique.)

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior
6 CD changer/Captain's Chairs

Old 12-20-1999, 10:46 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to make up for my other posts which so far have caused three bench clearing brawls, two knifings and a drive-by.

Old 12-21-1999, 03:04 AM
I could continue this discussion for a long time, but... We wouldn't get anywhere but under each other's skin. You all know my opinion about the seatbelt issue and health care costs. I really don't want to get into a flame war over this issue. If you guys want to take this off list, then you can find my email addy from the mailing list.

I always take the view that every little bit that a person can do to help a situation is worthwhile and valuable.

In this case, the least I can do is to wish everybody a Safe and Happy Holiday Season!

Old 12-21-1999, 08:05 AM
dennis: i would like to thank you. (sincerely) up until now when i have seen articles about things other people thought would make us safer, such as crash bars for motorcycles, higher ins. if no helmet is worn,and of course higher ins if no seatbelt is worn, i've always thought these were issues made up by groups trying to get your membership or financial support.
apparently there really are those who believe these things to be true.
i enjoy riding my bike w/o the crash bars. if it couldn't fall over it wouldn't be near as fun. i enjoy getting the wind in my face now and then, and i thoroughly enjoy taking my son out to ride his dirtbike even though he is only 8 yrs. old.(always wears a helmet)
as far as seatbelts when i trust the car not to crumple around me who knows maybe i'll start to wear them.
you have really opened my eyes. the next time i have the oppurtunity to fight against one of these issues in a forum where it may actually make a difference, i think i will be very prepared to do so.
you see dennis i and many others before and after me, have offered to sacrifice our lives to keep the freedoms within this country and i have no intention of letting someone take away those freedoms without a fight. maybe i would be safer with a belt on. but maybe i enjoy driving a little better without one.
it doesn't raise the cost of medical expenses, driving w/o ins. does that. it doesn't raise the cost of insurance, sueing for exorbitant amounts does that, and it doesn't cause accidents (ladies i do not mean this personally)(alcohol excluded) statistically women do that.
the only reason the ins co. thinks i should pay more for ins, is because they feel i can. men pay more for ins in this country because as of yet we do not pay women equal salaries therefore men can pay more.also men have a macho image they have to keep up so they buy fancy hotrods and trucks and pay more ins. because the insurance co would have us believe that the vehicles we buy are more likely to speed or get into a wreck. actually it's the person driving the car who handles that.
you see dennis men with decent jobs and nice cars make the best target for ins co profit margin because we will do anything not to lose that fancy car or the image it gives. i hope you never see the day when they decide that whatever color truck you drive is the one that needs to pay the most for ins. then it will be your turn to see what it's like to have your freedom threatened, or you can just dump your truck and buy a geo. i know ridiculous scenario but you get the point.
once again dennis thank you for enlightening me. you are right, arguing here is pointless. i'll find another place where it will make a difference.
happy holidays to you sir and to all.
very sorry for the long post but g*%d i feel better.

Old 12-21-1999, 01:47 PM
May I offer the final word on this long thread? Anyone who does not wear a seatbelt is a moron. Simple as that. If you have all the information (hard emperical data, not anectodal scuttlebutt or apocrypha) in front of you, it is irrefutable. Absolutely undeniable! You are safer WITH a seat belt. You cannot win the argument! Now, with that said, you SHOULD NOT have to wear one if you chose not to. The government should butt out and not mandate their use! It should be a personal choice. Take it from someone who has eaten a windshield sandwich, wear your belts!

------------------
'97 F150 XLT XCab, 4.6L, 4x4, Red as Rita's Rooster, Towing Pkg, 17 inch wheels, Tonneau Cover, Captain chairs, CD Changer. Two high performance, freeflow booster seats in back for mother's little truckers.

HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA.....Roll Tide!

Old 12-21-1999, 03:21 PM
OK Terry, if I am a moron then why do seat belts fit so poorly? Why don't they design one that is better fitting if they are so smart? hint: Take a look at a female (or a over-weight man) wearing one and see if it looks comfortable to you. For as many hours as I drive my Truck at a time, if I always wore one, I would be permanently lop-sided!

Old 12-21-1999, 03:42 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
In all honesty Andthensometoo, I don't even notice that I have mine on. Is anyone else uncomfortable? When you say fit poorly do you refer to the lap belt or shoulder part or both? There is somewhat of an adjustment in the door pilar for the shoulder part. Do you have the lap part down on your hips as far as you can? I've noticed the angle of the buckle in the seat changes depending on whether the seat is forward or back, could this be part of the discomfort?
I do have a power seat and it is adjusted to my liking so I really haven't 'walked in your shoes'.

Old 12-21-1999, 03:44 PM
Cool

Thats good...you'd look funny in women's shoes Raoul.

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Old 12-21-1999, 03:53 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Cool

Wrong. I look damn good in women's shoes.

Old 12-21-1999, 04:10 PM
The key word there was "lopsided" if I have to spell it out for you it is the sholder piece. No matter how high or low it is set at it still smashes/seperates at an unnatural angle. I hate to think of a well endowed person in that contraption.

Quick Reply: Do you wear your seatbelt?