Holy crap, Raptor's truck got into an accident!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Me? Insured on their brand new $25K sports car? I've never laughed harder in my life.
You should be covered as a dependent, even if you aren't listed as a regular driver. Plus it wouldn't be illegal. If anything happened, your Dad would also be held accountable.

Anyways, what kind of new sports car is only $25k? Even a bare bones V6 Mustang is $20k...

- NCSU

Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cafordude: I went to the PD, they said to check back in 3-5 days (Monday)

Cafordude: The posted was 45, I was travelling no faster than that speed as it is stop-go red lights every so hundred yards, it is near impossible to go over that unless you are Mario Andretii.

06yz250f: sounds good. My dad approved of getting the 99 front end once we get it all sorted out.

NCSU: My dad told the insurance I would never drive that car to save money. When he bought it they wanted to list me as a driver and jack the rates through the roof. I never have and I never will drive that car. He loves it too much. FYI, my parents own a 2006 Toyota Solara SE. (MSRP: $25,500)

So as of right now, we're just waiting on the dang police report so our insurance companies can start nagging at eachother. I have photographs as an "Ace in the Hole" should we take this to court, but I believe that they will just fork over the $2,500 that my local dealership quoted me for after a few days. Unless they like to pay lawyer fees, etc.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 12-11-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Suspended
raptor, sweet your dad approved. you gonna call up the dealership and have them price out the 99 and ^ front end?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me make sure I'm reading this correctly... Your dad is going to rent a vehicle, signing paperwork that says he is the ONLY driver on it. Then he is just going to hand you the keys and wish you the best of luck? I can't see how any responsible adult is going to hand over the keys of an uninsured car so a 17 year old kid.

Lets paint a picture with our imagination brush...

You're driving down the road just after a rainstorm. Traffic is a little heavy, roads a little slick, and you're excited to be rolling around in your stang. Traffic comes to a sudden stop, you try your hardest but the tires don't grip to well, and you rear end some high end sports car. MSRP is $150k (not some yota), and the driver is PISSED. Cops (who you say you're friends with) roll up on scene. First thing they do is ask for license and proof of insurance... OOPS! Now you're responsible for all damages, plus, when he sues you for medical expenses, the bill doubles. Now you've got a 6 figure bill that you're going to spend the rest of your life paying off.

You can rant all you want about being a great driver. However **** happens. Even if it isn't your fault you're still driving an uninsured car. Which in most states means you're arrested on scene and the car is towed.

Be smart about this.

Last edited by NoLongerJeepin; 12-11-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Suspended
hell, i think that if your under 18 and since your not legally allowed a rental car, insurance should pay for a taxi or a private driver to take you any where you want.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
insurance companies are dumb
this girl scratched my front bumper pulling out of a parking lot once and i managed to convince them that i needed a whole new front bumper, pass. fender, and grill surround A.K.A. $1500 bucks!

they wrote out the check and i gave it over to my dad cus money was short back then. If you shop around in the right places you can get all the pieces you want and still have some cash left over

Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 PM
(FYI, my parents own a 2006 Toyota Solara SE. (MSRP: $25,500)
Thats too funny being on a FORD site with us having $40,000 trucks

Toyota Solara? sports car? bahahahahah

Last edited by Screw-Me-05; 12-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
(FYI, my parents own a 2006 Toyota Solara SE. (MSRP: $25,500)
Thats too funny being on a FORD site with us having $40,000 trucks
he said some sport cars (referring to a mustang v6) are 25k and someone said a mustang v6 is 20k so he was pointing out that a solara is 25k.

btw, an f150 is not a sports car

Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Cafordude: I went to the PD, they said to check back in 3-5 days (Monday)

Cafordude: The posted was 45, I was travelling no faster than that speed as it is stop-go red lights every so hundred yards, it is near impossible to go over that unless you are Mario Andretii.
Maybe it's impossible in a 4.2 F150...

Originally Posted by HugeDouche

06yz250f: sounds good. My dad approved of getting the 99 front end once we get it all sorted out.

NCSU: My dad told the insurance I would never drive that car to save money. When he bought it they wanted to list me as a driver and jack the rates through the roof. I never have and I never will drive that car. He loves it too much. FYI, my parents own a 2006 Toyota Solara SE. (MSRP: $25,500)

So as of right now, we're just waiting on the dang police report so our insurance companies can start nagging at eachother. I have photographs as an "Ace in the Hole" should we take this to court, but I believe that they will just fork over the $2,500 that my local dealership quoted me for after a few days. Unless they like to pay lawyer fees, etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by JBMX928
Maybe it's impossible in a frontier...

fixed it

and yes a toyota solara is not a sports car but i think he was trying to make a point...

Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
exellent point

Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
fixed it

and yes a toyota solara is not a sports car but i think he was trying to make a point...
My truck has more power than his baahaha .

Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
So let me make sure I'm reading this correctly... Your dad is going to rent a vehicle, signing paperwork that says he is the ONLY driver on it. Then he is just going to hand you the keys and wish you the best of luck? I can't see how any responsible adult is going to hand over the keys of an uninsured car so a 17 year old kid.

Lets paint a picture with our imagination brush...

You're driving down the road just after a rainstorm. Traffic is a little heavy, roads a little slick, and you're excited to be rolling around in your stang. Traffic comes to a sudden stop, you try your hardest but the tires don't grip to well, and you rear end some high end sports car. MSRP is $150k (not some yota), and the driver is PISSED. Cops (who you say you're friends with) roll up on scene. First thing they do is ask for license and proof of insurance... OOPS! Now you're responsible for all damages, plus, when he sues you for medical expenses, the bill doubles. Now you've got a 6 figure bill that you're going to spend the rest of your life paying off.

You can rant all you want about being a great driver. However **** happens. Even if it isn't your fault you're still driving an uninsured car. Which in most states means you're arrested on scene and the car is towed.

Be smart about this.
Too add on to what he said, you dont even have to be involved in an accident. if you are pulled over and your driving the car the police can impound the car(b/c your driving it illegally) and your parents or whoever signed for the car will be responsible to get it out and any late charges and/or damage to the car.

I understand your in a predicament and need a car, but its people like this that rent a car that **** me off, know they are the only ones allowed to drive it, and just give the keys to their kids or friends to borrow and drive around. I work at a rental place and I liek to go by the books.

Last edited by Jditta; 12-12-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Jditta
Too add on to what he said, you dont even have to be involved in an accident. if you are pulled over and your driving the car the police can impound the car(b/c your driving it illegally) and your parents or whoever signed for the car will be responsible to get it out and any late charges and/or damage to the car.

I understand your in a predicament and need a car, but its people like this that rent a car that **** me off, know they are the only ones allowed to drive it, and just give the keys to their kids or friends to borrow and drive around. I work at a rental place and I liek to go by the books.
you have to admit that the law is unfair about this. what are 16 and 17 years olds supposed to do if they are in a wreck? what if their parents cars are 200k a piece i doubt they want them driving their cars. especially in raptors case it wasn't his fault and now his whole family is having to switch cars to fit the law which is stupid. their insurance (as in the drivers not the companies) should cover insurance on the temporary rental

Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
you have to admit that the law is unfair about this. what are 16 and 17 years olds supposed to do if they are in a wreck? what if their parents cars are 200k a piece i doubt they want them driving their cars. especially in raptors case it wasn't his fault and now his whole family is having to switch cars to fit the law which is stupid. their insurance (as in the drivers not the companies) should cover insurance on the temporary rental
It is unfair, but it is the law. The parents would be better off letting their kid drive their own personal cars IMO. If they have cars that expensive to begin with, money doesn't seem to be a problem if something happened.

Quick Reply: Holy crap, Raptor's truck got into an accident!