Seat Belts and Physics

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-1999, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Seat Belts and Physics

Hey all. I am currently studying mechanical engineering. I was in math class the other night, and we were discussing things like mass, velocity and kinetic energy. My professor demonstrated (mathematically), that if a car traveling at 60 MPH suddenly ran into another moving object, a baby, being held by a person in the passenger seat would inevitably hit the dash. That split second that the child impacts the dash would have an immediate force on that child of over 11,000 (yes, THOUSAND) pounds (4 1/2 TONS). Talk about a revelation you'll never get in any house of worship! The room went from a spirited discussion to dead silence in a heartbeat. I'm sure the police officers in our ranks can verify this.

Something to think about, whether you have kids or not. Sure made me think.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 SuperCab, Deep Wedgewood Blue, ORP, 4-Wheel ABS, Loaded, Flowmaster 50 series, K&N, Tint, Super-White headlights, Westin Nerf Bars, Toff Spray-On Bedliner, Pioneer DEH-P3000 and TS-A6815 speakers, ADS PQ/8 amp.

Old 11-13-1999, 02:12 PM
That's why hospitals won't let you take your baby home from the hospital unless you have an infant carrier.
And you should also take the infant seat in your vehicle to the local fire Dept. where they will perform a saftey check on the placement and fastening of the seat for free. 9 out of 10 are NOT properly fastened in the vehicle!!!

Old 11-13-1999, 02:20 PM
I've heard about that before, there was also a movie (can't remember the name} that has Jeff Bridges in it where this gets proven. In the movie Jeff is married to Rosie Perez, and earlier in the movie they got into a car crash and she was holdin there baby and it went through the windshield. She felt really terrible about it. Jeff kept tellin her that it wasn't her fault, that in no way could anybody keep a hold of a baby, or anything at the force of an impact. So to prove it to her, to remove her of all the guilt, her and Jeff got into a car and he gave her a little tool box to hold. He drove the car right into a wall at about 40mph and the tool box went flyin through the windshield. I know it was just a movie, but had a true point with what happened. Has anybody seen this movie before?

------------------
Patrick aka Mudder
Arlington Texas (DFW), member of Fordified.
Mudder,Black 98 Styleside S/C F150 4x4 0RP 5.4 3.55ls, Ramsey Pro 8000 hidden winch, Grizzly roll bar,2 Baja lights, 4 165 watt KC lights (I can light up the night with these), Manik grille guard, Westin step bars, Magnum bug shield, Sonic aluminum treadplate 36" tool box, Flowmaster dual exhaust, K/N air filter, 265/75/16 BFG AT/S, American Racing Baja wheels, a Mobil Speed Pass on the back window, a F150 Online sticker, and a Stone Cold sticker on the front windshield . More to come for the 3:16 machine: 4 more KC lights, shocks, and tail light guards. If you would like to see pics, email me at mudder46@hotmail.com or see pics at me and pony's new website www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/index2.html, and to hear the exhaust http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/images/T005.wav
Ford Trucks: "when you absolutely have to have the very best".

Old 11-13-1999, 02:24 PM
Indigo,

I noticed that you are from Fort Worth. Well I live in Arlington, where do you go to school at? I'm at Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth.

Old 11-13-1999, 06:18 PM
Indigo,

Very interesting stuff. Makes you wonder how fast the computer signals runs and the air bags go off to hopefully save you!

Old 11-15-1999, 12:07 AM
Unhappy

I remember when I was younger, back when seat belts were something you pushed under the seat; I saw a wreaked car that this same thing had happened in. I had a hard time even then just looking at the car,even though I was seeing the car weeks after the accident. I'm a firm beleiver of "kids ride in the back" with their seatbelt ON. And quess what??? Kids watch their parents, if you don't, they wont.

Old 11-15-1999, 12:21 AM
Mudder: Spring will be my last semester at TCJC. After that, I'm on to UTA. I am returning to school after...oh...let's just say a while! My truck and yours look nearly identical, 'cept mint is blue and doesn't have the cool grill guards yet!

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 SuperCab, Deep Wedgewood Blue, ORP, 4-Wheel ABS, Loaded, Flowmaster 50 series, K&N, Tint, Super-White headlights, Westin Nerf Bars, Toff Spray-On Bedliner, Pioneer DEH-P3000 and TS-A6815 speakers, ADS PQ/8 amp.

Old 11-15-1999, 12:38 AM
Cool

Computer signals (electricity) travel at light speed(186,000MPS). Its the relays and such that are "slow".

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip,Water Wetter, Mobil 1, Foglamp Covers, 13.573@101.08

Quick Reply: Seat Belts and Physics