The ultimate delimma

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-1999, 12:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post The ultimate delimma

I just about have my wife talked into letting me get a 2000 F150 [then I can be a "legal" member on this site ].

Anyway, should I hold off until after 11/1 and get the "sport" package- I love that monochromatic scheme. OR, should I opt for the regular XLT with chrome bumpers so I can get one sooner?

Things that either one will have:
  • 5.4L w/automatic tranny
  • 3.55 limited slip gears
  • Towing package
  • Convenience Group
  • Single CD player
  • XLT package

Also, the sport pkg requires an extended cab (which I'm not I really want). I can get either cab with the regular XLT.

How about sharing some of your experiences and opinions? And, don't worry, I'll get what I want- I just don't know what that is yet!!

Neal

Old 10-08-1999, 05:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

What youm don't have a 97 up F150 ?
Don't you know you aren't welcome here. LOL
Naw you guys know how I really feel about this.
See "glad to see owners of older F150s" in the comments and suggestions forum.
Well if your "dinasour" is still holding up I would wait and get exactly what you want.
no point in making payments for 5 years thinking every time you send a payment in how much you wish you got.......
BTW What are you driving now?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp for components.
Jensen 50x2 RMS for subs.
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?
54regcab@duesouth.net in Columbia SC

Old 10-08-1999, 05:56 AM
Cool

Almost Forgot.
I might would rethink the facory stereo.
A lot of people complain about it in the "audio" forums.
I too wanted the factory CD but even the guy of the dealership reccomended going aftermarket.
I'm glad i listened to him.
As far as the regcab/ext cab debate, test drive both before deciding.
Get what YOU want after all its YOU that will be writing the check every month.

Old 10-08-1999, 06:09 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb

ok nomo, first off when you pose a question like this everyone will push what they got(it helps justify any mistakes we made, in our own mind).
Sport or XLT?
I read some Sport guys crying about paint chips(from rocks and stuff)they said that's the price you pay for color keyed everything.

You didn't say whether you prefered 2 or 4 wheel drive. If you want 4x4 this doesn't apply but, I have been happy with my gas mileage and from what I've read I think it's because it's a 2x4 and reg cab, short bed.
Highway trip 19.5
Daily (2/3 highway) 17.4
Towing (3500 lbs) 14.2
(and it's a 5.4)

One thing I strongly recommend is the sixway power seat. It is money well spent.

Also, I didn't think I'd want running boards, changed my mind and found that ordering them with the truck was the cheapest way to go. So that is going to cost me now.

Good Luck!
P.S. All this time I never even knew you were a poser!

------------------
99 Lariat R/C 2WD 120"WB 5.4 3.55LS Tow Dark Toreador/Gold Line-X
raoul_oba@hotmail.com (Virginia)

Old 10-08-1999, 06:15 AM
Red face

WOW Raoul how do you get such great mileage?
We basically have the same truck except you have the Larait.
Must be my heavy right foot.

Old 10-08-1999, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

When I ordered mine, some of the things that came standard I left that way because I knew I would be changing them out once I got the truck. Things like the tires and the stereo. Also the 4pin trailer wiring is standard so I opted to install my own hitch. I got a manual 4x4 and some things that come with it don't come with the auto. I also got skid-plates, didn't know if I'd need them, but my last truck had them and I'd put a couple of dents into them. I thought it better to have them than not. Have you already made your mind up on manual or auto?? You know you can get the 5.4 in manual on the F250!! About the power seats, I dont have them but I'm the only one to drive my truck so the seat is always in the right position. (I rarely allow my husband to drive) Point I'm rambling on about is to decide what you want Ford to put on your truck and what you can put on for a better price (and better quality in most cases) after you get the truck. Good luck on the decision making. Oh, and like 54regcab said, TEST DRIVE !!! Drive a reg and a SuperCab and even a CrewCab if they got one. You wouldn't believe the added room you get with those beast!! And don't let the salesman talk you into something less than what you really want. You'll always be sorry you didn't get xxxxx that you really wanted. Remember the guy here that's trying to get captains chairs, there's a lesson there

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 10-08-1999, 08:52 AM
have to agree with 54reg definitely get what you want. i actually could use a s/c but after driving a few of them i just didn't like the way they felt. to family truckish.

------------------
'97 f150 rc, flair side,4x4,v6,5 spd, k&n air filter

Old 10-08-1999, 09:02 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
54regcab, my highway speed is about 65mph.
I'm at sea level here and it is flat everywhere.
From an all highway trip of 19.5 I drop 2.1 in my daily driving, which is two thirds highway.
If Columbia is more urban and I only had one third highway I would think it might drop another 2.1 to 15.3?

I admit I wear the leather gloves (and the scarf) but, I guess I don't drive that fast.

Old 10-08-1999, 09:15 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
My comment about the power seat isn't a backward or forward thing. With power sixway you can lower the seat if you are tall, raise the seat if you are short and best of all, change your thigh support by tilting the seatbase up or down in the front or in the back. I am 6'2". In most vehicles I pretty much have to move the seat way back. In the truck, I drop the seat all the way down, then tilt the front max up with the back max down. It's like sitting in my LazyBoy. In this position I no longer need to be so far back and have a comfortable arm bend to the wheel.

Then, it's all I can do to try to keep myself awake.

Old 10-08-1999, 10:13 AM
Banned
Cool

I have to agree with waiting for what you want. Don't settle for what you can get now or you will be kicking yourself everyday you see the truck of your dreams drive bye.

Boy this is what the Board is for. I'm proud to be a member. Hint Hint Frank and Red

------------------
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Member of Fordified.
Black 1999 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flairside Roush package includes the Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, and Roush Eyebrow Logo. Extras are the Superchip, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window and lots of other little odds and ends

mumbly@myf150.com

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 10-08-1999).]

Old 10-08-1999, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone. All this good info is why I asked. The problem is that Ford doesn't offer exactly what I want: (a reg. cab XLT with the SPORT pkg and 5.4L)

It's going to be a 2WD XLT w/short bed. If it's got the SPORT pkg, then it'll be an extended cab. Otherwise, it'll probably be a regular cab. I don't "need" 4WD, so I can leave that off and get other goodies that I do "need". The factory stereos do stink, but I need something to play CDs until I can change it out (already made that mistake with the Expedition).

I passed on a couple of trucks because I didn't want power seats. I never thought about them reclining though. Having a bad back, maybe I should reconsider that option. My wife was a little disappointed that I didn't want them anyway.

The extended cab isn't exactly my favorite- a lot of road noise, but I'm sure that I could get used to the extra room. I've never had anything but reg. cab w/long bed, so more opinions on this choice are welcomed.

Anyone have any comments on the 275/60R17s that come with the SPORT pkg? If they stink, then I may start to lean towards the plain XLT. I found out that I can get the special "regional appearance pkg" which is color-keyed grill surround and mirrors- almost everything I want to be monochromatic.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player. Just added Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars!!

1993 4x2 F150 Reg. Cab LWB- 5.0L, cat-back dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, Superchip, fresh paint, and Line-X bedliner.
http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 10-08-1999, 11:21 AM
Banned
Cool

Hey nomo,

I too was a reg cab guy before I got my first Super Cab and now I wonder how I got along with out the extra room. On the other hand if your going to build a Hot Rod out of it there is something to be said about the weight difference. It also looks like you got the extra room in the Expedition for those times you got extra people with ya.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Good luck

------------------
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Member of Fordified.
Black 1999 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flairside Roush package includes the Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, and Roush Eyebrow Logo. Extras are the Superchip, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window and lots of other little odds and ends

Work mumblywork@myf150.com
Home mumbly@myf150.com

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 10-08-1999).]

Old 10-08-1999, 01:17 PM
Wow! y'all are up on this stuff. Looking in the order guide, I got the impression that the sport pkg wasn't available with a 5.4L unless you got a 4x4 or supercab. I just spoke to the salesman and he worked up (via my mistake) an order for a reg. cab sport w/5.4L. How's this sound?

2000 F150 XLT Regular Cab.
Styleside 120" wheelbase
5.4L w/ automatic
Sport Pkg.
Tow Pkg.
3.55 LS
CD Player
Tilt/cruise
A/C & 4-wheel ABS
Convenience Group

Their price: $21,223.00

The noisy supercab may have just been the one that I drove. It sounded like a window was open, but none were.

Neal

Old 10-08-1999, 02:04 PM
You forgot one thing nomo, what color? Me personally I really like those silver Sport trucks. But how about you, what color are you thinking about? Other than the color, sounds like a great truck. You won't be disappointed. And ordering a truck (even though you have to wait) makes it that much better when you get it.

Also, that price they quoted you is very fair. You are not getting "taken advantage" of there. Oh yeah I almost forgot. When you order don't forget about the little things like floor mats. If you want those, it's cheaper to have the truck come with them versus buy them later.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

[This message has been edited by Freezer (edited 10-08-1999).]

Old 10-08-1999, 02:14 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
nomo,
21223 is 545 over invoice IF the 21223 includes destination.
If not it's 1185 over invoice.

Of course, if 21223 is your 'out the door' price to include title, taxes, tags then take it and run.

Quick Reply: The ultimate delimma