socket won't engage spark plug - a solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
socket won't engage spark plug - a solution

I'm posting this because I think this could be a common problem, and I came up with a solution that could save someone from hours of frustration or failure.

I recently changed the spark plugs and COPs on my '01 4.6. Thankfully, I was relieved to read that the 4.6 does not have the scary spark plug breakage issues that the 5.4 has.

However, I spent almost a whole day to accomplish what should have taken a few hours at most, all because one of the spark plug tubes in the head had dirt buildup.

I was stuck trying to remove the spark plug from cylinder #4 (rearmost, passenger side). Either the socket was not going over the plug, or the plug was somehow spinning freely and not coming out.

The #4 plug is way in the back, tucked under the firewall, so it is impossible to look into the tube to see what is going on. I tried unsuccessfully to reach a finger in to see if I could feel the plug. There's just no room.

I tried reaching in with pieces of coat hanger wire to see if there was a rock, bolt or something in the hole that was blocking the socket. Again, without being able to see, and having to make a bunch of twists and turns to reach it, I had no control of where the wire was going. My attempts to drag the wire around the outside of the plug hoping to catch something were futile.

I even epoxied a small rare earth magnet to some thin wire to see if it might pull something up.

I tried putting some paint on the inside of the socket so that I could tell by the scrape marks if the socket was actually going down over the plug. It wasn't. This was my first partial success, because it proved that the spark plug and threads were intact and not just spinning freely in the head.

I tried spraying penetrator into the hole, but I couldn't reach it so I couldn't even tell if any was going in.

After hours of futility I had a brief moment of brilliance:

I was looking at the long spark plug socket and I realized that it's outside diameter is about the same as the 3/4" copper pipe that a lot of us have in our houses. And the copper is thin enough that it would be able to clear the nut on the spark plug.

I had some scrap in my workshop, so I cut a piece that was long enough to portrude from the spark plug hole if it was shoved all the way down, but still short enough to maneuver under the firewall and into the hole.

I used a dremel ( a file or hacksaw would work) to cut a big barb on one end. Its like a hole saw but with only one tooth.

I shoved it down the hole and gave it a few turns. It came up with a bit of dirt on the end, so I tried some more, and re-attempted the spark plug socket. It was making a difference, but still not working.

With the copper pipe in the hole it gave me a target to aim a big shot of PB Blaster (penetrator) I sprayed it inside the pipe, and gave it a few more twists, then pulled it out and tried the socket wrench again.

Success!!

The problem all along was just dirt surrounding the spark plug nut. I was surprised that it could so easily block the socket wrench.

When I finally got the plug out I noticed that it was much older and worn than the others. I bought this truck second-hand. Someone before me had the same problem and gave up, as I almost did.

The spark plug holes point straight up, and even with the rubber portions of the COP filoing them, I guess it leaves room for dirt to get packed in there.

Oh, and one other thing. Changing the COPS on the driver's side of the engine is more difficult because there is more stuff in the way. In particular there is a big **** thingy on the fuel rail that gets in the way of one of them. I didn't have to pull the fuel rail off, and I didn't want to either, because I was afraid of losing the o-rings. I just removed the two bolts that hold it to the throttle body, and that allowed it to flex just enough for the 7mm socket to fit past it.

I hope this helps someone.

The following 6 users liked this post by dbischoff:
Karen D, katsnhouston, Michael Janeway, See, shortman597, TRC92 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice solution but I would be worried dirt would get into the cylinder after the plug is out. I would add that one should use compressed air to blow out the hole after it is loosened by your tool.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OP - Nice going, eh?

Don't ya just love it when that old lightbulb goes off?

Please say ya used dielectric grease ....

MGD

Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I recall I didn't blow it out once I finally got it loose. I should have, but I was tired and fed up with it by that point, I just wanted to be done. I did blow it out earlier to try to expel anything that could come out.

I did use dielectric grease. I pulled the boots off the coil and greased inside that end, and I greased inside the spark plug ends.

I was able to get codes showing me misfires on two cylinders before I started the work, so I threw those specific COPs out and saved the other six, to possibly use in future if I need to replace any again. One of the misfiring cylinders was the one with the stuck plug, and it obviously wasn't changed the last time the other seven were.

Anyway, I believe it is now running better than it ever has since I bought it 2.5 years ago. its an '01 with 170,000Km (105,000mi) in very good condition.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The wire or COP should block most of the dirt. I can only imagine what that engine looks like if that much crap got past the rubber deal thats supposed to keep that crap out of it.. Blowing it out would have been wise your lucky if the engine runs without a miss. I've seen guys loose compression from stuff dropping in the hole..

Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
The wire or COP should block most of the dirt. I can only imagine what that engine looks like if that much crap got past the rubber deal thats supposed to keep that crap out of it.. Blowing it out would have been wise your lucky if the engine runs without a miss. I've seen guys loose compression from stuff dropping in the hole..
Actually, the engine is extremely clean. Surface dust and a little seepage where a vent tube comes out of the valve cover, which I wipe when I do an oil change. (Before anyone asks, I didn't wash the engine, that's not why I had a failed COP to begin with)

There really wasn't much of anything in the hole either. It was more like something had dripped down there and set up hard between the spark plug nut and the hole. It seemed like whatever it was coated part of the inner surface of the hole just enough to make the gap too narrow for the socket to clear.

I was wondering what would have gotten past the rubber plug. Maybe it happened at the factory. Could dielectric grease dry out and get hard if a bunch of it got down there?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 170,000 kms with original spark plugs on a 2004 5.4L 3V.
Set aside the spark plug breaking issue - I had the same problem as dbischoff on two separate spark plug wells.

No matter what I tried, just could get a socket to engage the spark plug because of dirt, rocks, grime, etc. totally caked in there.

Tried PB Blaster and did not work.

The ultimate solution ? A 3/4" copper pipe shoved into the well. I took it one step further than dbischoff and used tin snips to cut "teeth" all around into the copper pipe. The dirt, grime and rocks came out in no time. Copper is easy to work with because it is a soft metal, but strong enough to clean grime out of a spark plug well.

Oh and ultimately with the spark plug breaking issue, I broke 3 of 8, but had a Lisle 65600 handy so was no problem.

Thanks dbischoff for an ingenious solution.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I know this thread is old but good info here. Maybe this will help me out with mine. I will be buying some copper pipe tonight to try it.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Blow out the hole first before spraying pb blaster. The liquid might make the dirt/crap stick in the hole.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I bought a small can of compressed air. I don't own a compressor and I'm afraid to drive the truck anywhere as bad as it runs. The can came with a long straw and I added another one to have it reach. I didn't get anything out of the hole. With a mirror and flashlight I can see some gunk on one side of the plug that may be causing my problem. I will get the copper pipe tonight.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Use the copper pipe and loosen the junk up first. Then use the air to get the junk out and then spray with the penetrating oil.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Ok. I will work on this tonight then. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 1998 F 250 that needed new spark plugs. I got them all out except the #8 all the way in the back. All it would do is spin and some times I would get rust/dust dirt whatever. I spent hours trying to get it gave up and was content with 7/8 new plugs. Well going on a road trip soon so I wanted to give a good once over( or twice) and got the fire to try this last plug again only to again fail. I put in my problems on the search box and this thread came up. After which I did a mad dash to find copper pipe only to find I have zero. However did notice a broken broom. Its one of those hollow tube cheesy metal ones you get at walmart. Needles to say its 3/4" in dia.cut a hunk off put some teeth on it AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW! it worked. If I had not seen this post who knows how much a mechanic would have charged.

In short (TOO LATE I KNOW!) THIS METHOD WORKS! now I have that hunk of broom in save section.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Adelphos1987
I have a 1998 F 250 that needed new spark plugs. I got them all out except the #8 all the way in the back. All it would do is spin and some times I would get rust/dust dirt whatever. I spent hours trying to get it gave up and was content with 7/8 new plugs. Well going on a road trip soon so I wanted to give a good once over( or twice) and got the fire to try this last plug again only to again fail. I put in my problems on the search box and this thread came up. After which I did a mad dash to find copper pipe only to find I have zero. However did notice a broken broom. Its one of those hollow tube cheesy metal ones you get at walmart. Needles to say its 3/4" in dia.cut a hunk off put some teeth on it AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW! it worked. If I had not seen this post who knows how much a mechanic would have charged.

In short (TOO LATE I KNOW!) THIS METHOD WORKS! now I have that hunk of broom in save section.
That's cool.

Btw, - Home depot has wooden broom handles on sale, -seen them last week. If that helps at all.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-05-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Adelphos1987

Good job, plus kudos on using the search button.

Quick Reply: socket won't engage spark plug - a solution