Change - Explain Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Change - Explain Your Thoughts

Okay guys...

Many of you think that this site is changing and it's not for the better. This is your chance to speak out and be heard.

Here's what I'd like to hear from you...

1. Your opinion. Not anyone elses'.
2. What's changed? What are you feeling that is changing?
3. Cite specific threads that you feel were incorrectly deleted.
4. Cite specific members that should not have been removed or banned.
5. Cite specific posts that should not have been removed.
6. Spell out if the things that are being done here are incorrect and how they're incorrect. If you like the way things are going, feel free to spell that out as well.

This is your chance to lay it out on the table. I want this to be a very open and fair thread. This is a two-way street so, expect responses from this side of the street.

We'll leave this open and rolling just as long as you guys keep it civil. As soon as it starts getting stupid, gets railed, or becomes an 'us versus the moderators' type of thread, it'll be removed. While you have some leedway here, the sites' rules still apply (language, photography, etc...).

What is not up for debate is new moderators, why you should be a moderator, or why you think the new ownership sucks.

Proceed.

-RP-

Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock I'm leaving, so I don't have time to reply, but I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to voice our opinions. I will get mine up for ya later, admit it.... you just cant wait

Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Moderator &

I will also add that I am going to remove useless posts that just feature a couple of words, have no substance, or simply posting a smiley.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Suspended
the thread that was closed before that led to this did not break the rules, was open, there was no name calling, pics at all, we were having a discussion that had no language violations, no nudity, racial slurs, or gross written representations of sexual acts whatsoever it broke no rules

now as far as people being banned the only 2 that I know of were deserved they were gross disregard of the rules and that is that

as far as what has changed we were running around the language filter and even tho I have not received one of these msgs I have heard from others getting notices of language violations where as up until two or three weeks ago I never heard of it at all and I had been just as guilty as anyone with working around the filter

the red light camera thread could have been saved it only needed about 5-7 posts removed and it would have been fine if you did not have time to read more in depth then fine I just feel it could have been saved

I dont care if Stealth is a mod I have nothing personally against him but it

seems that PG-13 is way out the window and a really heavy G has been put in its place instead

that is my opinion I do want to thank you for actually allowing a open discussion about what is going on with the site

Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Ive been around this site for several years now and have seen alot of people come and go. This is one of the few sites that I read on a regular basis. Its seems as lately that some people have developed attitude problems. I cant imagine that it would be easy to be a mod, its probably like trying to be friends with your boss. I just hate to see this site go into a downward spiral.

Thats what was on my mind so I thought I would say it.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by po1911
the thread that was closed before that led to this did not break the rules, was open, there was no name calling, pics at all, we were having a discussion that had no language violations, no nudity, racial slurs, or gross written representations of sexual acts whatsoever it broke no rules
This thread was opened to supplement it. That thread was becoming a 'piling on' type of thread with several coming in to smack the hornets nest and then vanishing. You'll note that the thread has only been closed; not deleted. Feel free to use ideas and thoughts from that thread here if you feel it necessary -- which you have below.

now as far as people being banned the only 2 that I know of were deserved they were gross disregard of the rules and that is that
I appreciate that. I concur that it was basically 'open and shut' -- and I should also publically state that I've since talked with Gators and he and I are fine... While I have to stick by the decision of permanent dismissal from the site, he and I have talked via IM several times since last week.

as far as what has changed we were running around the language filter and even tho I have not received one of these msgs I have heard from others getting notices of language violations where as up until two or three weeks ago I never heard of it at all and I had been just as guilty as anyone with working around the filter
See this thread from 2005 that is 'Sticky' at the top of the Gen Disc forum

While the first post will show that it was edited by me, it's because I added the 'additionally 2)' post. That's all.

the red light camera thread could have been saved it only needed about 5-7 posts removed and it would have been fine if you did not have time to read more in depth then fine I just feel it could have been saved
While I have already stated that I gave that one a cursory and quick glance over, are you suggesting that we, as the site's moderation team, should go through EVERY post on the forum to determine compliance?

Don't get me wrong... I've sanitized several threads by going through post by post by post but, most of those threads were typically within an informational forum where it would be a disservice to the site to mass prune or delete the thread as it contained a lot of GOOD information.

To that exact point, I believe that it was Raoul that mentioned that it's a shame when a person takes a dive off the deepend and is removed from the site as all of his/her posts are also snubbed. I concur totally. I believe we have access to a 'check box' while setting a ban -- well, in a certain way -- that will preserve the posts. Obviously, a spammer will get a ban and all posts removed but, when a member has contributed a LOT of great information, it'd be in the best interest of the site to go in and remove the problematic posts from within the informational areas of the site and proceed with the dismissal.

We will make an effort to think about this exact thing when future suspensions are placed.

I dont care if Stealth is a mod I have nothing personally against him but it
Understood.

seems that PG-13 is way out the window and a really heavy G has been put in its place instead
&

that is my opinion I do want to thank you for actually allowing a open discussion about what is going on with the site

I really need more information than that... I understand your feelings and you're certainly entitled to them but, I really need some citation to support it so that I can better see your side of this.

Again, I appreciate your honest thoughts here. While you'll see a bunch of my opinions here - and likely Stealth's - I promise you guys that we're listening. Just remember, if you request a softcore **** forum, we still won't be honoring that type of a thing.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Suspended
I remember when Bighersh was around, we used to have T&A threads all of the time. They were never removed. I even remember moderators simply reminding everyone to keep it "clean" and nothing against the rules. Now it's simply disregarded and quickly removed. Maybe it was before the ban of them in 2005. I don't remember. A lot of members had a great idea. Allow an adult section, it gives everyone what they want. I don't see the problem in it. I'm sure the sponsors wouldn't care, either. I'm sure a lot of them would even check it out. It seems like this forum is becoming a forum for little girls. Heck, some of the people even play out the cheerleader drama that comes with being a girl.

We've got a moderator who shut down a thread because it simply "could of" been a problem or he didn't like the thread. The guy posted early in the thread that he was going to let is stay around for a little bit just to see the responses but had every intention of locking it or removing it before it even played out. Not very fair. It never became a problem and everyone was keeping it clean because they wanted it to stay around to get their voice heard. Locking it down was just a show of power.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by countyboy04
Ive been around this site for several years now and have seen alot of people come and go. This is one of the few sites that I read on a regular basis. Its seems as lately that some people have developed attitude problems. I cant imagine that it would be easy to be a mod, its probably like trying to be friends with your boss. I just hate to see this site go into a downward spiral.

Thats what was on my mind so I thought I would say it.
Appreciated, countryboy.

I don't think we're in a downward spiral - maybe we are? I just don't think we're there yet. I certainly have the feeling of 'change' here too but, I don't think it's the site changing but rather the people who are coming in expecting something that the site is not... and I really don't mean to sound like my whole thought process is "It's YOU... not ME!".

As most who have been here for a while, they'll note that I am pretty easy going... well, most all of the time, at least.

Again, thanks, CB!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

I don't think we're in a downward spiral - maybe we are?
I dont think we are either, I just meant I would hate for things to turn in that direction.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's my opinion that some of the guys here crave for this site to fail and they have an agenda to make it do so. I'm not going to let that happen.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Suspended
Stealth a comment like that is only provoking someone into turning this thread into something else and ultimately being deleted ... I don't think anyone has an agenda for the site to fail. None of us are conspirators.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by CrAz3D
This is definitely a G or pre-k rated site, now.
I don't know, man. Really? Give me some citations.

The "racial slurs" of my red light cam thread weren't racial slurs. And further, if anything that could ever be construed as offensive is going to be closed/deleted ... EVERYTHING should be. Hypocrisy is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
Not sure that I'd call it being a hypocrite but, I would say that I didn't read all the way through it. The way that I'd have to respond to this is that the majority of the thread was kosher - I just went back and re-read it. But, I still contend that any mention of the "N-Word" or similar constitutes a slur. I understand that there's a context aspect that goes into it but, ... well, you know... I'm going to reopen that one.

My apologies on it... if I had read through it a bit farther, I would've gotten more out of it. I will reaffirm that it *was* reported by a member or two or three... but, at least one of them was simply reporting to continually 'stir the pot'.

Dave's old drunken threads should've stayed around. Sure he was drunk, was it really that offensive? No.
Disagreed. He was way out of line.

oooh, and that "Change" thread .... I dont see why it was closed, it was place for people to rant. Destroying dissent doesnt make this place better. Closing it was a completely inappropriate, unreasonable and childish response.
Already addressed that one... please see the response to pol.

This is a site about trucks, if it was a Disney site I'd be all for G rated crap, but this isn't Disney.
You're right. No Cinderella here -- she'd be catcalled out of here if she was.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Suspended
I know, we used to be able to have fun and rag on each other, without threads dropping like flies or someone crying like a little girl. Hell, even when someone was crying like a little girl, no one was deleting threads like they are now ...

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I remember when Bighersh was around, we used to have T&A threads all of the time. They were never removed. I even remember moderators simply reminding everyone to keep it "clean" and nothing against the rules. Now it's simply disregarded and quickly removed. Maybe it was before the ban of them in 2005. I don't remember. A lot of members had a great idea. Allow an adult section, it gives everyone what they want. I don't see the problem in it. I'm sure the sponsors wouldn't care, either. I'm sure a lot of them would even check it out. It seems like this forum is becoming a forum for little girls. Heck, some of the people even play out the cheerleader drama that comes with being a girl.
Not going to even bother, Thump. See my previous responses. No adult section, period. It'd be like featuring a **** shop in the middle of State Farm Insurance's corporate office.

We've got a moderator who shut down a thread because it simply "could of" been a problem or he didn't like the thread. The guy posted early in the thread that he was going to let is stay around for a little bit just to see the responses but had every intention of locking it or removing it before it even played out. Not very fair. It never became a problem and everyone was keeping it clean because they wanted it to stay around to get their voice heard. Locking it down was just a show of power.
He has that power. I would've done it if I had made it there before he did...

Old 08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Stealth a comment like that is only provoking someone into turning this thread into something else and ultimately being deleted ... I don't think anyone has an agenda for the site to fail. None of us are conspirators.

I would, absolutely without exception, disagree with you, Thumper.

Quick Reply: Change - Explain Your Thoughts