Newby With an Older F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Newby With an Older F150

New to this forum but certainly not to Ford trucks. I've owned a lot. My last wes a Sport Trac and was always a little sorry for buying it, but thought I needed better fuel economy. What a joke. That one only got slightly higher mileage than my 2001 F150 5.4 does now. It was a little shy on power for pulling my boat. I guess the real reason for getting this one was plain & simple------it's Black & Beautiful. Really, I wanted to get an older Harley Davidson edition F150 but they didn't make them in 4x4 back then and living in the snow country I need one. So I'll make this into one the best I can. I've already got the lights, the badging and the striping kit coming for it. I'm looking at superchargers but soooo much to research on them I'm overwhelmed right now. This will be a project truck and will share pictures of along the way. Looking forward to all your input and hope I'm not frowned at by wanting to make an HD truck from a stocker, but it's what I want and Ford didn't do it .

Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome stich and what years you calling old? I understand were you are coming from on wanting and needing a high performance 4x4. We will all be looking forward to seeing the progress

Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't do the badging and stripes.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
Please don't do the badging and stripes.
Why's that? because it doesn't have an official registry? I really don't care about that. I'm not looking to ever sell it or try to "pass it off" as an official HD model. I just plain and simle ---like the looks. I put Harley stickers on all my vehicles cause I love and ride Harleys, so what's the difference if I "badge " my truck? Come on, I would have bought a Harley F150 IF they made it back then but seeing as they didn't............well............. I will
But thanks for your opinion.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by stich
Why's that? because it doesn't have an official registry? I really don't care about that. I'm not looking to ever sell it or try to "pass it off" as an official HD model. I just plain and simle ---like the looks. I put Harley stickers on all my vehicles cause I love and ride Harleys, so what's the difference if I "badge " my truck? Come on, I would have bought a Harley F150 IF they made it back then but seeing as they didn't............well............. I will
But thanks for your opinion.
keep that attitude, because alot of people will give you crap for doing what YOU want to YOUR truck. Im on the fence for the striping, dont really know what your guys are talking about but i think either way it would look good. if you make it a HD look-a-like and its lifted, its going to look amazing.

good luck and welcome

edit: oh and, nice truck!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:44 PM
If you buy an XLT or whatever and place Harley emblems on it, you are trying to pass it off as a Harley. It is like the people who drive a V6 Musting with GT emblems on it. It's dishonest. Anyone will also be able to tell it's not a Harley just by looking at the interior. You can do what you want to do with your truck, but I think you can make it the best it can be without going this route. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 PM
If you buy an XLT or whatever and place Harley emblems on it, you are trying to pass it off as a Harley. It is like the people who drive a V6 Musting with GT emblems on it. It's dishonest. Anyone will also be able to tell it's not a Harley just by looking at the interior. You can do what you want to do with your truck, but I think you can make it the best it can be without going this route. Best of luck to you.
Anyone who knows HD trucks KNOWS that they didn't have a 4x4 in 2001. So not trying to pass it off as such. Just trying to make it unique. Something not everyone else has, and to personalize it to my tastes.
As far as the interior goes, I own my own upholstery shop and am perfectly capable of doing the inside the same as the HD ones. If i liked the leather but in reality, I like cloth beter for comfort and longetivity. Leather only lasts for 4 or 5 years before the checking or cracking starts to take it's tole. So, I'm still undecided as far as thats concerned. I'll keep you posted
Thanks

Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 PM
i cant remember where but i saw either an L rebadged as an HD or maybe just a reg cab 150 rebadged, and that thing looked amazing. ill try and find it

Old 05-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Anyone who knows HD trucks KNOWS that they didn't have a 4x4 in 2001. So not trying to pass it off as such. Just trying to make it unique. Something not everyone else has, and to personalize it to my tastes.
As far as the interior goes, I own my own upholstery shop and am perfectly capable of doing the inside the same as the HD ones. If i liked the leather but in reality, I like cloth beter for comfort and longetivity. Leather only lasts for 4 or 5 years before the checking or cracking starts to take it's tole. So, I'm still undecided as far as thats concerned. I'll keep you posted
Thanks
You may not think you are but if you drive a regular F-150 with Harley emblems you are trying to pass it off as such. This is a fact. Otherwise you wouldn't be using the emblems.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM
You may not think you are but if you drive a regular F-150 with Harley emblems you are trying to pass it off as such. This is a fact. Otherwise you wouldn't be using the emblems.
Wrong. You're only assuming the fact that he's trying to pass it off as one. Now if he came up to you and TOLD you that it was a HD truck, then yeah, that's posing. As long as it's done tastefully though, I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, it's his truck, let him do what he wants. I've seen plenty of other users here do way worse things to their trucks in the name of uniqueness.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a '01 4.2L riding around town with L badges all over it. Pisses me off cause you can tell its a 6 from a mile away. But if you are going to do it tastefully, then more power to you. As I recall, some guy on here has a blue Screw with L badges and no one is busting all over his case- why? Cause its a flippin nice truck, thats why. Do it right and no one will bother you.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys, and yes I hope to keep it tasteful for my own sake as well as those fortunately enough to own a real HD truck. My hat's off to them as they own the real deal. I'm not trying to disrespect them. Just get my own identity. Hell, I'm 55 years old and this is my mid life truck.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats stich, you've been hazed. You got my vote

Old 05-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hell, I'm 55 years old and this is my mid life truck.
When I hit that age, I'm just going to wake up one morning and go out and buy a Vette and some earplugs for when I get home

Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
Wrong. You're only assuming the fact that he's trying to pass it off as one. Now if he came up to you and TOLD you that it was a HD truck, then yeah, that's posing. As long as it's done tastefully though, I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, it's his truck, let him do what he wants. I've seen plenty of other users here do way worse things to their trucks in the name of uniqueness.
I don't want to get into a silly argument over this but I am not assuming anything. It is a fact. One doesn't have to verbally say anything about it being a HD truck. As soon as the emblems are put on, it becomes "posing." However, I agree that it's his truck and he can do what he wants. Good day.

Quick Reply: Newby With an Older F150