2009 Ford Flex - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife really likes the look of this thing. Her Mariner lease is up next February. We'll be test driving this and an EDGE. I prefer the look of the EDGE better but I could live with this I guess if she really likes it. 2 kids so either one would probably be fine. I hardly drive her car anyway.

It does remind me of an Element though.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Flex

I like it but it's overpriced.
Wife hates it so probably wait for an Edge with a 3rd seat.
Kinda like that Explorer America they showed at the auto show.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Suspended
Uhhh..it's not making my panties wet...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
respect the box.

I actually owned a Honda Element. The Flex is a shameless copy but has MAJOR improvements. 4 real doors is the key improvement over the suicide doors in the Element IMO. Also, you can't imagine how much crud you can pack into a box shaped SUV. I drove an Element from Atlanta to Dallas, TX with wife, 2 kids and a 2 week vacation's worth of crapola in it (in < 13 hours!) I remember the kids were hitting their heads on the roof going over the bumps in I-20 in Mississippi with the XM radio playing "Born to Be Wild"... Hilarious, but in reality the Element is a far cry from normal Honda level of sophistication or build quality. THe Element has also sufferred from decreasing sales so I'm hoping Ford didn't jump on a dying horse here...

Now, the Flex's vista roof sounds cool, but in practice it's hot and a PITA to deal with kids frying in the sun in the back seat. THe Ford site doesn't show MPG or engine specs. Not sure what "Ecoboost" is, but a true hybrid that has all the Flex features could be cool.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 AM
YAY! I did a search!

I actually saw one of these on the road for the first time tonight. I was thinking what an ugly vehicle. Wonder what kind it is? Then I saw the Ford logo and was like...... Definitely would not drive one of these.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think its pretty radical. I would love to drive it and feel it out, but I won't NEED one for quite some time

Old 06-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Suspended
I actually kinda like it. Not for me since I dont need a crossover.

Originally Posted by APT
I don't see why Ford need Taurus X and Flex. What's the price range? Dodge Journey looks like a better alternative.
The journey is pretty nice. My parents just picked one up. Fully loaded, moon roof 6 speaker infinty system with sub, sirius for a year, 19's, AWD, 3.5L which is a pretty peppy motor. The thing is a blast to drive. Im a Ford guy through and through, but the Journey is definately fun, drives like a caddy too. Not to mention it has a crap load of storage areas!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 AM
so what size is it? small like an element or big like a minivan? i saw a commercial for it the other day. the commercial reminded me of a scion commercial. my dad loves his element. so if its better than that i think it might sell okay. for me though, no. but it isnt what i need right now.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM
The pic makes it look better than in person.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Suspended
I actually saw one Chip Foose played with at the Barrett Jackson auction recently. Very nice too. Forgot I saw it in person

Old 06-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by harleydude78
so what size is it? small like an element or big like a minivan? i saw a commercial for it the other day. the commercial reminded me of a scion commercial. my dad loves his element. so if its better than that i think it might sell okay. for me though, no. but it isnt what i need right now.
It's not as high as a mini-van and it's bigger than an Element. I'm sure it will sell to the older crowd. I just really don't like the looks of it. It may be something that grows on me, but I doubt it.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 1hhead
I actually owned a Honda Element. The Flex is a shameless copy but has MAJOR improvements. 4 real doors is the key improvement over the suicide doors in the Element IMO. Also, you can't imagine how much crud you can pack into a box shaped SUV. I drove an Element from Atlanta to Dallas, TX with wife, 2 kids and a 2 week vacation's worth of crapola in it (in < 13 hours!) I remember the kids were hitting their heads on the roof going over the bumps in I-20 in Mississippi with the XM radio playing "Born to Be Wild"... Hilarious, but in reality the Element is a far cry from normal Honda level of sophistication or build quality. THe Element has also sufferred from decreasing sales so I'm hoping Ford didn't jump on a dying horse here...

Now, the Flex's vista roof sounds cool, but in practice it's hot and a PITA to deal with kids frying in the sun in the back seat. THe Ford site doesn't show MPG or engine specs. Not sure what "Ecoboost" is, but a true hybrid that has all the Flex features could be cool.
Do you realize Ford's quality has come a long way in the past few years? Ford is on que with Toyota for quality which both are tied 1st last time I saw.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 AM
No.

The Flex looks REALLY gay. I hate rolling boxes.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by Arca_ex
No.

The Flex looks REALLY gay. I hate rolling boxes.
Thank you!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:04 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Do you realize Ford's quality has come a long way in the past few years? Ford is on que with Toyota for quality which both are tied 1st last time I saw.
Ford, Toyota, and Honda are all tied for first in fact.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ford Flex - Yes or No?