Offroad equinox, ever seen one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Graphics Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offroad equinox, ever seen one?

Has anyone ever seen a chevy equinox with offroad mods?

As ive been looking into these vehicles because my brother has one and it's been pretty good to him, and they have a sign and drive deal on them quite often ,ive wondered why ive never seen a modded out equinox with beefy tires and a bull bar or maybe even light rack on top, if someone could photoshop that, that would be sweet. the picture in my mind would be that it would look great, but ive never seen it done. Not even online anywhere. Ive seen lift parts listed for chevy equinoxes in catalogs, unless it was a mis print, theyre out there. the only modded equinoxes ive seen online are lame with 24 inch rims. The old blazers and 2 door blazers i see lifted all over, some even with beefy tires that were stock, but how come no equinoxes?

is there something about their drive-train or anything that would make it very difficult or maybe have a poor offroad performance?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
Has anyone ever seen a chevy equinox with offroad mods?

is there something about their drive-train or anything that would make it very difficult or maybe have a poor offroad performance?
Yeah, maybe everything about them. They are unibody, IFS, IRS, normally front wheel drive, unless you use the "all wheel drive" system. Being a FWD thing, the transaxle is useless and has no gearing that would work for off roading. The CV shafts would break under any type of stress, the unibody would bend on rough terrian.... basically it would fall apart faster then a kia on a f-1 track.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by Nico
Yeah, maybe everything about them. They are unibody, IFS, IRS, normally front wheel drive, unless you use the "all wheel drive" system. Being a FWD thing, the transaxle is useless and has no gearing that would work for off roading. The CV shafts would break under any type of stress, the unibody would bend on rough terrian.... basically it would fall apart faster then a kia on a f-1 track.

thanks for the info :santa:

Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Crossovers are not intended to be offroaded. They are for people who want to drive boxes on the street. They are based on car chassis, not truck chassis.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Graphics Contributor
i wouldnt really consider an equinox a crossover..

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct. It's a passenger car.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Graphics Contributor
funny.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Suspended
That about sums up all of my thoughts about it

Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Then what is it? It has a transversely mounted engine, a unibody, and is primarily FWD.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You mean just like the Ridgeline is a pretend truck.

It is a front wheel drive Honda Pilot.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Graphics Contributor
an SUV.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 AM

The only thing I disagree with is the Kia statement... the Sorento is RWD with a solid rear axle, and a front differential, along with a sturdy ladder frame. Basically a real SUV... I'd take a Sorento over a lot of things out there.

In fact, my parents are thinking of getting a Sorento as their next SUV... but they are leaning toward either a F150 Screw or a Sporttrac. Yes, all with V8s and 4x4...

Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Honestly if it was 15 years ago what are now called "crossovers" would be called "AWD Station Wagons"

If you want an honest SUV shop for a Trailblazer. Some will still argue that, most modern sport utility vehicles are having the utility washed out of them and are being mostly for show... something that looks better than a minivan but can still haul the family around. The reason you see old Blazers lifted and modded is because it is what they are good at, and are cheap to both buy and modify.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Equinox

It is not designed for serious off roading like the Chevrolet Tahoe and Chevrolet TrailBlazer.
EDIT: changed "sport washed out..." to what it is now.

Last edited by 02XLT4X4; 12-04-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 AM

Reminds me of the escape... which stunk off road... I kept busting control arms and all sorts of stuff. I purposely kept a box of control arms and bushing sitting my garage for after going off road... or else the suv would sound like it was 100 years old when hitting the slightest bump down the road.

I believe the owner of this forum also owns www.escape-central.com ...

Check this place out: www.equinoxcentral.com ....

The reason I say they are same owners is because of the site design... just a slight hunch. Click on both and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
Honestly if it was 15 years ago what are now called "crossovers" would be called "AWD Station Wagons"

If you want an honest SUV shop for a Trailblazer. Some will still argue that, most modern sport utility vehicles are having the utility washed out of them and are being mostly for show... something that looks better than a minivan but can still haul the family around. The reason you see old Blazers lifted and modded is because it is what they are good at, and are cheap to both buy and modify.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Equinox

EDIT: changed "sport washed out..." to what it is now.

good post, thanks.

Quick Reply: Offroad equinox, ever seen one?