Toyota's tailgates are failing fast! falling off, cheep, denting..etc..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota's tailgates are failing fast! falling off, cheep, denting..etc..

I browse through the Toyota forums once in a while to see all the problems they are having with them, but couldn't believe this one thread I came upon. seems like most every Toyota owner is saying that there tailgates can't hold wait and is now separating and denting in on itself.. look at the pics and the story's that go behind them...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...res-i-am-club/

Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Suspended
Oh man thats funny! "The truck thats changing everything" Yup sure is, all other manufacturers could atleast get the tailgates right! Haha. Bet if they were loading up rice the gate wouldnt have failed

Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 AM
man I would be pissed, Toyota will have to own up to this one

imagine going down the freeway with your quad in the box, rear tires on the tailgate and the tailgate failed, bye bye quad, hello lawsuit when it hits the chick in the civic behind you

Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Suspended
Post 27

I purchased this truck as replacement for my old Ford that I wore out which had a tailgate made of real steel that never even flexed when I loaded my ATV. I opted for a regular cab long-bed specifically so I could load my ATV in the back and have room for more stuff. Now that I see my tailgate has the early signs of folding, this is a "return-to-dealer what are you going to do to fix this?" issue. I love the truck but this is a deal breaker. No tailgate should have a problem like this even if it is the first model year! I will return the truck and get a Ford again if they cannot come up with a permanent "stock" repair and not a screwed on piece of plywood! IMO Toyota will have to come up with a re-enforced tailgate assembly that can be bolted or welded in or a completely re-designed tailgate to solve this problem.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 AM
That's pretty bad. Especially from a Golf Cart!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Graphics Contributor
hah. i love it. tacomas have been known to have sissy tailgates too but this is the clincher

Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
man I would be pissed, Toyota will have to own up to this one

imagine going down the freeway with your quad in the box, rear tires on the tailgate and the tailgate failed, bye bye quad, hello lawsuit when it hits the chick in the civic behind you
That's what tie-downs are for!

You guys haven't discovered those yet, eh?

Anyone check the tundra manual for a disclaimer that the owner should not static load the gate - lame but I wouldn't put it past them. Got a 8' load? Get a 8' box lol!

MGD

Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
This is too funny. I've heard people say they don't buy them because they are 1) pricey 2) gas guzzlers and 3) have the turning radious of the Titanic. Ford has their faults yes and get scrutinized huge for it. Looks good on the impervious and super reliable Toyota's, bout time that someone else wears the sh+t shoe on their feet. You should see the tailgate on my dad's truck, his 94 Flareside, it's been beaten to hell and because he had too much weight on it, it dished a bit inside. It still closes as good as new, no rust even. If nothing else, the Ford's have a well built structure.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Post 27

I think it's ironic what the license plate on it says, "Quality"? Right

Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Graphics Contributor
remember that ugly *** tundra wantsahemi posted?

Heres a brilliat reply in that thread on TS with the usual people bashing the guys 9'' lift cuz its a 2wd.

Very nice. Clean. Hoss wheels I believe. I like it. 99% of those who lift don't 4x4 anyway, so ignore all these negative post. Has a SHOW truck look
theres also other mentions of people not being able to lift their 4x4 tundras yet because theyll have to replace their cvs every 4000 miles

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-lift-is-here/

Old 10-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Suspended

I was really wishing for this new tundra to have problems, I'm tired of toyota constantly thinking it can dominate any segment it enters just because its a yota. Its really laughable though how many problems it is actually having. Toyota has had motor problems, transmissions problems and now tailgate failure. Any other part of a "truck" left to F up? I do feel bad for the saps that fell for the marketing ploys though...

Old 10-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Also on there, someone quoted something like "it looks beasty with those 37's", a little homo if you want my opinion. Beasty? Those trucks look like retarded fat robotic snakes if that's what he meant. I feel like joining the forum there and rattle their chains a bit. I think sometimes certain members here are doing the same thing, like spy's for the Toyota camp.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh man that would suck loosing your quad out the back! I'd be pissed and scared for the vehicle behind me. Imagine loading you sled or ATV into your truck and the tail gate bends? Not only would the ramps fall the sled would fall to causing posible injuy.

If you were carrying a couple of appliances in the box and had one resting on the tail gate your tail gate would fall off

Old 10-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Also on there, someone quoted something like "it looks beasty with those 37's", a little homo if you want my opinion. Beasty? Those trucks look like retarded fat robotic snakes if that's what he meant. I feel like joining the forum there and rattle their chains a bit. I think sometimes certain members here are doing the same thing, like spy's for the Toyota camp.
I think it was JBMX who described it as a space shutter about to launch
I would be absolutely ashamed to be sitting in one.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It actually appears to be a fairly easy fix if caught before the damage is done.
If they don't have a resistance welder then any regular welder and some rossette welds mimmic a spot weld. Then repaint.
Once the skin is better attached to the tailgate frame, it will be strong enough. If our welds broke then our tailgates would fold too. Our tailgates also use the skin for it's strength.

Quick Reply: Toyota's tailgates are failing fast! falling off, cheep, denting..etc..