F150 vs Mini

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 vs Mini

I'm sure alot of you already know this but here is a picture of a Ford F150 and a Mini Cooper hitting a front end offset at the same speed... The Ford did not do too good and I guess that is why they went to a boxed frame in 04. Keep in mind how many 97-03 F150's. Expeditions and Excursions are out there..

Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by JeffsLightning
I'm sure alot of you already know this but here is a picture of a Ford F150 and a Mini Cooper hitting a front end offset at the same speed... The Ford did not do too good and I guess that is why they went to a boxed frame in 04. Keep in mind how many 97-03 F150's. Expeditions and Excursions are out there..

Yeah well I hit a suburban going 70mph ......lets see the mini do that and still walk away

Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Your very lucky. I'm sure you can agree that Fords frames during those years could have been better...Boxed is always better that open channels...Glad your still able to post... It's also amazing that your truck crumpled just about the same way the one in my picture did..

Last edited by JeffsLightning; 06-27-2007 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM
yes it looks pretty identicle to the pics....even the same rims The test was probably taken somewhere around 40mph and mine was 70mph. Keep in mind my truck also flipped 4-6 times also. All I know is this truck saved my life so I cant say that the older trucks were bad in crash test b/c, well, mine saved me. All I know is if a mini and a f-150 is hitting head to head that I would take the f-150 hands down

Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Suspended
Repost time number 705.

At any rate, imagine this... drop a crumpled up piece of glass that is the size of a dime off of your roof top. Now much damage to the glass, right? Now try it again with a piece of glass that weighs several times more, different result?

A small, light car SHOULD do well against a stationary object like that, but if you were to take that same small call and have a head-on collision with that F150 I have a sneaking suspicion the F150 passengers would be better off...

Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=Lumadar]Repost time number 705.

QUOTE]

Sorry as I don't get out of the Lightning forum much..

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/Index2...ecific+vehicle
at first i was scared **** less when i saw that crash test
but the NHTSA says differently, but they do not give everybody their footage of it, but Ford did screw up with that crash, i think it is mainly in the Supercab configurations because the lack of the support between the front and back side door

and if you do not want to listen to what the NHTSA says well they are the ones that gave the tundra 4 stars

Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 AM
The tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion is dependent upon mass. Inertia is that quantity which is solely dependent upon mass. The more mass which an object has, the more inertia it has - the more tendency it has to resist changes in its state of motion.[/QUOTE]

Apples to oranges in the above comparison.

The F150 weighs ALOT more than the small "Mini" Therefore, it is obvisually going to do more damage.

How did the test dummy fare in the Mini crash compared to the F150 crash?

In the mini, there wasnt much "crumple", therfore, the dummy had to stop ALOT more abruptly.

In the F150, there was alot more metal and weight to absorb the impact and furthur slow the dummy's rate of decent.

I'll bet that dummy in the Mini was nearly decapitated by the seat belt and/or slammed the hell out of the steering wheel.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, repost # eleventy billion. Although not brought up yet here, many people think that the test was crashing a Mini into an F-150, which would have different results.

FWIW, the 97-03 F-150 received 5 stars for every crash test rating except the partial offset test.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
God forbid someone who brings up an old post as I already explain why it happened.. My whole point was that in an offset crash at 40 miles per hour I would rather be in a mini than that 02 F150... JMO as everyone has theirs..

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I'd rather be in the F150 unless I was hitting an immovable object. Otherwise, give me the vehicle with mass.

This warranted the funny graphic since this topic is ohhhhhhhh... nearly 5 years old. FIVE YEARS.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by dzervit
I'd rather be in the F150 unless I was hitting an immovable object. Otherwise, give me the vehicle with mass.

This warranted the funny graphic since this topic is ohhhhhhhh... nearly 5 years old. FIVE YEARS.
I guess it is funny that it is sooo old but heck you have not even been around here for 5 years... This is off the topic but how do you like your MKX...we are thinking about one for my wife..

Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by JeffsLightning
I guess it is funny that it is sooo old but heck you have not even been around here for 5 years... This is off the topic but how do you like your MKX...we are thinking about one for my wife..
True, but in my few years here I've seen this thread more than I care to recall, I couldn't imagine how insane I'd go if I was here for the full 5...

The MKX is nice. I rarely drive it, on the bike most of the time. Just barely turned 1500 miles on it. I did take it to Chicago a few weeks back and enjoyed the drive. Good power, very quiet. Ride is a little stiff for a Lincoln. It almost feels sporty. Almost. Body roll and the horrificly overboosted steering kill any sportyness. Its not X3/X5 or MDX, but it's also a hellova lot cheaper. Huge bonus over the compitition: the cooled seats. I'd buy another one just for that feature alone.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Sheet I just bought an old Corvette vert, you know the drill-- lap belts, no roll bar. I hit a mid sized Capybara and it's all over for me.

Alright we ain't got no Capybaras in Oregon but a good size Nutria would waste me just as well.

Quick Reply: F150 vs Mini